Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

What series are you watching?


Recommended Posts

  • 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

For some reason, the lead actor in Peaky Blinders gets incredibly on my nerves and I couldn't get past the first episode because of that...

Possibly because you are not female...

I think he is gorgeous!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

Possibly because you are not female...

I think he is gorgeous!

Hahahaha! I do appreciate beauty in other men, but I don't think this one has even that redeeming feature. It's something visceral I can't explain. It's a shame because it looks like the sort of series I could enjoy...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

Hahahaha! I do appreciate beauty in other men, but I don't think this one has even that redeeming feature. It's something visceral I can't explain. It's a shame because it looks like the sort of series I could enjoy...

I think it’s great. First two series were excellent, third went off a bit, but this one is back with a vengeance! It helps, of course for me, that it is set in my home town. I know all the places they are talking about.

It’s those lovely blue eyes, get me every time. I do wonder whether they are enhanced by contact lenses!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2017 at 8:17 AM, Tom-Joad said:

Started watching "Sinner" on Netflix. I'm 3 episodes in and so far, I'm impressed. Apart from a few (very few, actually) clichés, it's very well written, has a compelling and unique story and some superb acting by Jessica Biel.

I searched for this last night after you piqued my interest but nothing on Netflix came up which is really weird.  

Also tried Peaky Blinders (love the title) but didn't give it very long, period pieces don't do it for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/11/2017 at 3:17 PM, Tom-Joad said:

Started watching "Sinner" on Netflix. I'm 3 episodes in and so far, I'm impressed. Apart from a few (very few, actually) clichés, it's very well written, has a compelling and unique story and some superb acting by Jessica Biel.

I've just watched episode 2 and I agree. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

 

Have you started watching it? Couldn't get through the first episode...

 

3 hours ago, Power13 said:

Me, too...and I rarely turn something off mid-episode. 

First episode was not great. I watched it on recommendation of a friend, and I persevered even though I found the first episode hard going, simply because he was so enthusiastic about it, and he's usually spot on with any recommendation.

im really pleased I did, I'm not a big tv watcher anyway, so my default is to stop watching. However I could've easily did what @Kay did and watch it in one day. Once Holt Mcallany gets his character properly established (he's a great actor and really holds this piece together) the relationship between the two becomes central, and when Wendy appears, the dynamic twists again. All the way through, the Holden Ford character develops subtly, in ways we'd maybe not expect. 

The series I'd compare it to, probably my favourite of the decade, is The Bridge (the Scandinavian original). It builds on the same concerns with relationships between characters and how the darkness of their work lives informs their internal workings. 

Definitely worth the second episode. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kay said:

I watched Mindhunter in one day it was so bloody good.  Right up my alley, they even pull out quotes from the philosophical greats. 

 

2 hours ago, the calvary said:

 

First episode was not great. I watched it on recommendation of a friend, and I persevered even though I found the first episode hard going, simply because he was so enthusiastic about it, and he's usually spot on with any recommendation.

im really pleased I did, I'm not a big tv watcher anyway, so my default is to stop watching. However I could've easily did what @Kay did and watch it in one day. Once Holt Mcallany gets his character properly established (he's a great actor and really holds this piece together) the relationship between the two becomes central, and when Wendy appears, the dynamic twists again. All the way through, the Holden Ford character develops subtly, in ways we'd maybe not expect. 

The series I'd compare it to, probably my favourite of the decade, is The Bridge (the Scandinavian original). It builds on the same concerns with relationships between characters and how the darkness of their work lives informs their internal workings. 

Definitely worth the second episode. 

Ms RB and I just finished watching and both of us thought it was outstanding. The actor who played Ed Kemper should get at least a nomination fpt thr Emmys. Agree with tc about the relationships. 

Never watched The Bridge but we both enjoyed The Tunnel which was a British/French version of The Bridge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:15 PM, Mission Man in AZ said:

Apparently it refers to the gang members sewing razor blades into the bills of their caps.

I knew there was another reason I gave it a miss. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/11/2017 at 11:15 PM, Mission Man in AZ said:

Apparently it refers to the gang members sewing razor blades into the bills of their caps.

Correct. I don’t think I need to explain how they then use the caps...

They were a real life gang in Birmingham. A friend of mine’s father remembers as you approached the tram stop in Small Heath, people being scared that the PB’s might get on and be pretty menacing. Another friend’s father, as a young police constable arrested a member of the gang and, when he arrived at the police station was given a dressing down by the sergeant. PB’s had the police in their pocket.

I am sure they were really nasty people, but in much the same way as I loved The Sopranos, I love this show too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...