Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMIW

The Official January 25th Perth Night #2 OzSetListVision thread

6 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

Give me a sub 3-hour show that's intense over a 4hr show with a 20 minute spirit in the night /Mary's Place,  20 minutes messing around with cardboard and 20 minutes crowd surfing any day.

Besides, why waste time stuck inside when you can head to a beach /luxury hotel?   Well done Bruce.

thank you for making me feel less alone about my overreaction to Mary's Place, a song I once liked but now hate. thank you. I know some others who can't stand it either (and yes, Spirit was a once-great song that now drags on forever)

Re. The shorter show:

A few less songs- under 30 is a bit unusual nowadays but my first shows were 30 and 28 songs. A lot of the BITUSA shows were 25ish  

No stories or talk between songs- I love the stories and talk, but musically speaking it might be similar to the longer, talkier shows.

Very tight arrangements of the songs- Mary's Place, as others have said, can drag, for example. Not this version. Badlands had the crowd's oh, ohhhs but still kept on track. Same for every other song that sometimes gets extended with crowd or band excitement. I love the long versions, I still love the tight versions- kind of like the Darkness box-set DVD of the Darkness album: tight, hard and awesome.

The scopes were so patchy at times that it was hard to tell; did the band get introduced? Was there a shout-out to the local Food Bank? Was there a collective bow by the band at the end? All of these add time, of course.

Was there a curfew for this show that wasn't there night 1? We may never know. 

6 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I can't believe how many people on here are lucky enough to go to more than one show. I'd kill to just go to one right now.  Please don't take any moment for granted and enjoy every second of it :)

It makes me feel a lot better about missing out knowing how much you've all enjoyed yourselves 

I look forward to hearing about the next one 

Thanks for making me reflect for a moment how lucky we've been here in Perth Up until the last tour Bruce had NEVER been to Perth come Friday we'll have had six shows in a venue perfectly suited to the band. We are now complaining about set lists, length of shows and sound quality when we should be considering how damn lucky we are.

I don't understand how peeps are surprised/disappointed/etc over the fact that one night's set list in a multi-stand is different than a previous night. Mind boggling, actually, especially pertaining to long-time fans. Perhaps I assume too much, and spoiled by years of I95 multi-stand events. The conceptual approach is essentially one long show for Bruce, only spread over however many nights in that particular town. Except for the big 10-nighters, the 2 or 3 night stands have been following this philosophy for years. You can easily see this by researching the multi-stand set lists. This is why every night in a multi-stand needs to be attended, otherwise you only get part of the pie, not the whole pie!

marla-eating-pie-1024x675.jpg

8 minutes ago, Mocker said:

I don't understand how peeps are surprised/disappointed/etc over the fact that one night's set list in a multi-stand is different than a previous night. Mind boggling, actually, especially pertaining to long-time fans. Perhaps I assume too much, and spoiled by years of I95 multi-stand events. The conceptual approach is essentially one long show for Bruce, only spread over however many nights in that particular town. Except for the big 10-nighters, the 2 or 3 night stands have been following this philosophy for years. You can easily see this by researching the multi-stand set lists. This is why every night in a multi-stand needs to be attended, otherwise you only get part of the pie, not the whole pie!

marla-eating-pie-1024x675.jpg

hell yes the night 2 rule

I understand this and Auckland worked out perfectly last time 

1 hour ago, Me and Frank said:

Re. The shorter show:

A few less songs- under 30 is a bit unusual nowadays but my first shows were 30 and 28 songs. A lot of the BITUSA shows were 25ish  

No stories or talk between songs- I love the stories and talk, but musically speaking it might be similar to the longer, talkier shows.

Very tight arrangements of the songs- Mary's Place, as others have said, can drag, for example. Not this version. Badlands had the crowd's oh, ohhhs but still kept on track. Same for every other song that sometimes gets extended with crowd or band excitement. I love the long versions, I still love the tight versions- kind of like the Darkness box-set DVD of the Darkness album: tight, hard and awesome.

The scopes were so patchy at times that it was hard to tell; did the band get introduced? Was there a shout-out to the local Food Bank? Was there a collective bow by the band at the end? All of these add time, of course.

Was there a curfew for this show that wasn't there night 1? We may never know. 

Yes, there was a shout out for the Food Bank of Western Australia. I haven't read much of this thread, only just waking up, but for me, it was fabulous - much tighter than night 1, albeit with a few "mistakes" by the band in a couple of places, but as ever, Bruce turned it around with his great sense of humour. Right from the start, a much better night, Bruce and the band were more "together" and it was more of a "usual" show than Perth 1, which personally, I prefer, but each to their own. I enjoyed NYCS more at Perth 2, though. James from the Beach had an absolute ball, we were on the barrier (after queuing for several days, and in 40 degree heat at one point, so he deserved his place) right by Soozie, who smiled at him, and Bruce made his night (and mine) by giving him his guitar pick. He was elated all night, fist pumping and leaping around, godness help me if we end up at the back of the pit on Friday! 

1 hour ago, keithunited said:

Thanks for making me reflect for a moment how lucky we've been here in Perth Up until the last tour Bruce had NEVER been to Perth come Friday we'll have had six shows in a venue perfectly suited to the band. We are now complaining about set lists, length of shows and sound quality when we should be considering how damn lucky we are.

yes Perth has had more shows than NZ  and you will still be a show up on us by the time this tour ends

but what you are  most lucky for is arena setlists 

Enjoy :lol:

34 minutes ago, Mocker said:

Not the part about there being less songs than usual though, right?

1 hour ago, jukebox said:

PER #2:

2501a.jpg

That is a band ready to rip. Night 1 was basically a musical and political statement - it was meant to have an "edge" to it.

Now you get the feeling that it's time to party.

I really enjoyed last night's show. I don't usually bother trying to compare shows or setlists, but in this case, I can't help but feel that last night was a much more energetic and enjoyable gig to watch.  I think it was a mistake on Sunday to have so many longer jam style songs, and I felt that the crowd was a little less engaged.  I was surprised when the show started winding up so early, but I wasn't bothered by it. 

It seemed that last night Bruce was much more focussed on entertaining the crowd, and the mood of the hall reflected that. 

Of course, others that were there may feel completely differently, and they will be right.  We all bring different things to the gigs, and one man's favourite show might seem like a dud to others.  I'm looking forward to Friday night.

Roll call question - In Adelaide the venue doors open at 6.30. Are people in the roll call line let in to the venue any earlier? What was protocol in 2014 and also in Perth this week?

3 hours ago, keithunited said:

We are now complaining about set lists, length of shows and sound quality when we should be considering how damn lucky we are.

No point in having him here, playing long or short shows, if they are inaudible

15 hours ago, mad man with a box said:

So is 2017 the year the signs are consigned to history?

that is even more excitting that the absence   of commie Tommie 

15 hours ago, Mocker said:

Seems Daisey could not make this one.........
Image result for kiwi sleeping

yip

that was me after a hard day at work

missed you good people last night but I on catch up duty now

14 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

The River has got to be one of Bruce's best songs. Sometimes I feel like it's his best.

:)

my Bruce hating other half confessed it was his favorite song (he does know alot of Bruce songs - more than an casual  fan)  it always reminds me of him and his ex wife along long time ago

14 hours ago, 16.7.2013 said:

To settle the Telescope problems I would be willing to let everyone chip in and buy me tickets and a flight out to Oz/NZ and ill queue up and scope front and centre every show. That's a sacrifice i'd be willing to make.

Also i'll need a sedative for the plane. Thanks.

Also, Downbound Train.....yes!

buying lotto ticket ....

14 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

A 20 minute Kitty to start? :lol:

year !!!!

1 hour ago, Ozboss1999 said:

Is the general consensus that the sound issues had been rectified?

Not for me. Roy's keys completely drowned Jake out of NYC Serenade.

2 hours ago, BITUSA said:

No point in having him here, playing long or short shows, if they are inaudible

Agree, just had so many varied opinions on the sound quality, personally was front of the pit both nights thought the sound mix was off 1st night but wouldn't say inaudible 2nd thought it was good. Was standing with someone who was about half way to the back of Arena first night and he thought the sound was ok. Didn't mean to downplay the sound quality issue just surprised by the general tone of the posts. New to this just expected the forum to be a bit more positive

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

hell yes the night 2 rule

I understand this and Auckland worked out perfectly last time 

You're not near-guaranteed Kitty's Back anymore, Daisey.

And as far as the night 2 rule,

look at Philadelphia last year as opposed to how he threw out the whole setlist basically sans encores this second night in Perth:

2016-09-07 - CITIZENS BANK PARK, PHILADELPHIA, PA
NEW YORK CITY SERENADE (with strings) / DOES THIS BUS STOP AT 82ND STREET? / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / GROWIN' UP / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / LOST IN THE FLOOD / KITTY'S BACK / THE E STREET SHUFFLE / INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / THE FEVER / THUNDERCRACK / NIGHT / NO SURRENDER / THE TIES THAT BIND / MY LOVE WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN / DEATH TO MY HOMETOWN / JACK OF ALL TRADES (with strings) / AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS) / THE PROMISED LAND / HUNGRY HEART / DARLINGTON COUNTY / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / THE RISING / BADLANDS / STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA / JUNGLELAND / BORN TO RUN / DANCING IN THE DARK / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / SHOUT / BOBBY JEAN

2016-09-09 - CITIZENS BANK PARK, PHILADELPHIA, PA

NEW YORK CITY SERENADE (with strings) / OUT IN THE STREET / SHERRY DARLING / FROM SMALL THINGS (BIG THINGS ONE DAY COME) / I'M GOIN' DOWN / LOOSE ENDS / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY (with Vini Lopez) / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT (with Vini Lopez) / 4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY) / KITTY'S BACK / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / NO SURRENDER / MY CITY OF RUINS / AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS) / THE PROMISED LAND / CANDY'S ROOM / SHE'S THE ONE / RACING IN THE STREET / LUCKY TOWN / HUNGRY HEART / DARLINGTON COUNTY / I'M ON FIRE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / THE RISING / BADLANDS / STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA / BACKSTREETS / BORN TO RUN / DANCING IN THE DARK / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / SHOUT / BOBBY JEAN / JERSEY GIRL

Some changes, sure, but he didn't abandon practically the whole show or setlist from the previous night. He kept some of the first two albums in the set as he had starting doing, kept some of it in for the die-hards as well (even if he took out Incident unfortunately). He didn't just throw almost everything out from the night before, he made some changes but not so drastic as to let down the fan only going to the second show (not counting the awful choice of skipping Incident when it was expected).

The only thing these shows and the two so far in Perth just now have in common is the first night had a much better setlist.

2017-01-22 - PERTH ARENA, PERTH, AUSTRALIA

NEW YORK CITY SERENADE (with strings) / LONESOME DAY / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / NO SURRENDER / OUT IN THE STREET / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS / DOES THIS BUS STOP AT 82ND STREET? / GROWIN' UP / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / LOST IN THE FLOOD / KITTY'S BACK / INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / THE TIES THAT BIND / DARLINGTON COUNTY / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / THE PROMISED LAND / AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS) / MY HOMETOWN / CANDY'S ROOM / SHE'S THE ONE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / THE RISING / BADLANDS / BLOOD BROTHERS / BORN TO RUN / DANCING IN THE DARK / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / SHOUT / BOBBY JEAN

First show of the 'Summer '17 Tour', a run of fourteen shows in just over a month in Australia and New Zealand. The set structure is very similar to that seen at the final shows of The River Tour, with a suite of songs from Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ and The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle early on.

2017-01-25 - PERTH ARENA, PERTH, AUSTRALIA

NEW YORK CITY SERENADE (with strings) / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / MY LOVE WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN / TWO HEARTS / WRECKING BALL / OUT IN THE STREET / HUNGRY HEART / MY CITY OF RUINS / MARY'S PLACE / ATLANTIC CITY / JOHNNY 99 / MURDER INCORPORATED / DEATH TO MY HOMETOWN / THE RIVER / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / I'M ON FIRE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / THE RISING / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / JUNGLELAND / BORN TO RUN / DANCING IN THE DARK / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / SHOUT / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT)

The second show of three in Perth opens again with a string accompanied version of "New York City Serenade", before a 26-song set with sixteen songs not played the first night. Bruce drops the suite of "oldies" for a set that perhaps appeals more to the casual fan, with songs such as "Two Hearts", "My City Of Ruins", and "Mary's Place".