JimCT

OFFICIAL 2017 MLB thread

42 minutes ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

I saw that Billy Joel will be the first concert there. Not too shabby. Place looks awesome. 

They just announced Metallica there in July as well.  Think that may be as many concerts as Turner Field hosted in its history.  I know Metallica played at T Field once, and I think the Stones played there once.  Only ones I can recall over the years. Think the place will have a nice vibe as long as they work out the traffic issues.  

Fook me...... Alex Reyes out for season. Needs Tommy John surgery. There goes 15-20 wins

P14 called me with that news earlier today.....hate to see anyone go down with injury for the year. 

Snow flurries this morning...

Position players reporting... first full workouts Saturday.  

It's coming.  Baseball, BBQ and beer... 

22 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Snow flurries this morning...

Position players reporting... first full workouts Saturday.  

It's coming. Milan-San Remo, Baseball, BBQ and beer... 

FTFY....:P

8 minutes ago, Power13 said:

FTFY....:P

MSR is to spring as tulips are to spring... when you see it, you made it through another winter.  There was (and is) something symbolic about starting in Milan in sleet and then seeing a pic of Super Mario chilling on a beach after the race (some dudes you love to hate, Chipo was the guy I hated loving :P).  

It's not the course that makes it my emotional favorite single day race on the calendar.  :)

Today is the last Sunday without baseball until October.....Rejoice!!!

Good news: this Friday at 1 o'clock first preseason game.

Bad news: fooking Yankees playing

Good news: lots of games on Saturday

After this past season I think MLB should shorten the season to 148 games. That way the World Series isn't played into November. It feels as if this offseason went by in a flash. 

9 minutes ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

After this past season I think MLB should shorten the season to 148 games. That way the World Series isn't played into November. It feels as if this offseason went by in a flash. 

Would love them to do this if for no other reason than to allow a 3 or 5 game series for the wild card.  A single game "play in" is BS.  

23 minutes ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Would love them to do this if for no other reason than to allow a 3 or 5 game series for the wild card.  A single game "play in" is BS.  

Also, from the mere fact that besides hockey, baseball is the ultimate game of attrition. 

1 hour ago, Wasted in the heat said:

See I'm just the opposite, I don't think there should a wild card game at all. 3 division winners and the best second place team. (like the old NFL playoff system). Should be in the playoff's.

Keep the season 162 games, but shorten the playoff's. And I've said this before, each series needs to be 7 games with no travel dates. That's how they played all year, using their whole rooster. Mainly their whole pitching staff. That way you can't pitch your three best pitchers over and over again. And your closer can't pitch each and every day. Just like the 162 game season. This will give as truly the best over all team and not the hottest.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

See I'm just the opposite, I don't think there should a wild card game at all. 3 division winners and the best second place team. (like the old NFL playoff system). Should be in the playoff's.

Keep the season 162 games, but shorten the playoff's. And I've said this before, each series needs to be 7 games with no travel dates. That's how they played all year, using their whole rooster. Mainly their whole pitching staff. That way you can't pitch your three best pitchers over and over again. And your closer can't pitch each and every day. Just like the 162 game season. This will give as truly the best over all team and not the hottest.

I'd be fine with eliminating the WC.  I don't really care for Wild Cards anyway.  I just think if you are going to have it, there should be a series to determine who advances.  Baseball is structured around the series rather than the individual game.  I understand the argument "if you don't like it, win your division" but that is simplistic and fails to take into account the series nature of the game as well is inequities between divisions.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/02/20/dexter-fowler-i-didnt-say-anything-wrong/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

I didn't know if I should have post this in this thread or the one I started this morning in the FC "What the Hell in going on"?

I was abhorred at the responses I saw from fans re: what Fowler said.....was tempted to make a pink post re: the quality of fans in STL, but realized the situation is just too serious for jokes.

Fowler has handled the situation admirably, both with his original (non-offensive) answer and his reponse to the situation.  I am glad he didn't issue some half-assed, pseudo-apology for PR purposes.

1 minute ago, Power13 said:

I was abhorred at the responses I saw from fans re: what Fowler said.....was tempted to make a pink post re: the quality of fans in STL, but realized the situation is just too serious for jokes.

Fowler has handled the situation admirably, both with his original (non-offensive) answer and his reponse to the situation.  I am glad he didn't issue some half-assed, pseudo-apology for PR purposes.

I agree, this is awful. Please keep in mind that this isn't all Cardinal fans. I can't believe the responses, all he was talking about was the well being of his family, as we all would do?

I bet he wish he didn't come and stay in Chicago? Do you think Cub fans would have the same responses?

I dunno...I'm sure some would have.  It is the same mentality for some people....they only hear what they want to hear.  So it gets "reported" that Fowler criticized the travel ban and people start losing their gords w/o seeing what was actually said....

My guess would also be that the deeper into the state you went, the more opposition he would have faced re: his comments vs. people closer to the city.  Chicago is pretty blue and down state is pretty red (both in terms of political ideology and team allegiance...:P).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Power13 said:

Chicago is pretty blue and down state is pretty red (both in terms of political ideology and team allegiance...:P).

Now that is funny and true!

MLB approves ditching the 4-ball rule for intentional walks...signal from the dugout is approved. 

I disagree with this...pitching is as much about endurance as strength / speed. Every pitch dips impacts that endurance. If you wanna walk a guy, throw the pitches. 

The irony here was that I wanted to see this rule put in place for years.....but a few years ago I had my revelation and changed my mind. 

Oh, I'm not really that upset about...just don't agree. 

But endurance is like death by 1000 paper cuts....everyone lets a little more blood out  any one may not mean much, but all added together, it matters. 

Going from throwing all game at a squatting target to one that is standing upright and moving is actually tougher than people would think. Most if not all of it is mental, mechanics stripped down, not throwing pitch at 100%. 

Talking with a friend tonight we were talking about small nuances that could speed up the game. 

Stop with filtering every call to the bullpen with a commercial. That is one of the worst, especially in high leverage spots during a game 

Every half inning does not need to be split up by a commercial. I know money talks and ad time is precious but the way they kill the flow of the game with it adds onto the length.