JimCT

OFFICIAL 2017 MLB thread

Growing up in the 60s, games tended to be about two hours for the most part. One of the primary reasons I quit watching baseball was that I just couldn't take the constant three-hour plus games. Fuck, it's not unusual for Yanks-Red Sox games to last over four hours for a nine-inning game! They just seem interminable anymore. Now it seems fairly rare for a game to be over in less than three hours - and I can't remember the last time I saw a game finish in less than 2 1/2 hours.

During the pinnacle of Yankees-Red Sox in the 2000's those games were insanely long. 

I was at the Yankees-Red Sox game in 2004 where Jeter dove face first into the stands. Only game Alex Rodriguez ever played shortstop while a Yankee. Total game time was nearly 4 1/2 hours (13 inning walk off)  long and I remember walking back into my grandmother's house and the clock struck 2:00 AM. That was on a weeknight, too. 

9 hours ago, Power13 said:

MLB approves ditching the 4-ball rule for intentional walks...signal from the dugout is approved. 

I disagree with this...pitching is as much about endurance as strength / speed. Every pitch dips impacts that endurance. If you wanna walk a guy, throw the pitches. 

The irony here was that I wanted to see this rule put in place for years.....but a few years ago I had my revelation and changed my mind. 

Well, imagine that! 

http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/wild-pitch-leads-to-wild-win-for-no-texas-a/article_b1b66c86-f8c3-11e6-a8cf-87737854cb1f.html

To MMAZ's point, they need to shave hours off of an average game.  So what does baseball do, they eliminate something that maybe takes 30 seconds every time it happens.  And it happens, what, once in an average game?   Probably even less than that.

IMO the biggest time burners are pitching changes.  Pitching has become ridiculously specialized, and it has been bad for the watchability of the game IMO.  Id make it so pitchers can only be changed between innings barring injury.  Also, I'd institute a pitch clock.  Saw it at a minor league game last year and it really moved the game along.   

• Like 1

It is all the non-play nonsense....pitchers stepping off the mound, absurd mound visits from the catcher, then the infield, then the pitching coach, the batter stepping out of the box and readjusting their gloves after EVERY pitch, even if the didn't swing the bat, etc. 

i don't care how long the games are as long as there is action to keep your attention. The endless standing around waiting for players has got to be reined in. 

11 hours ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

Going from throwing all game at a squatting target to one that is standing upright and moving is actually tougher than people would think. Most if not all of it is mental, mechanics stripped down, not throwing pitch at 100%. 

Plus the catcher bulks each and every time, when was the last time you seen a catcher stay in the box until the pitch is thrown?

14 hours ago, Power13 said:

MLB approves ditching the 4-ball rule for intentional walks...signal from the dugout is approved. 

I disagree with this...pitching is as much about endurance as strength / speed. Every pitch dips impacts that endurance. If you wanna walk a guy, throw the pitches. 

The irony here was that I wanted to see this rule put in place for years.....but a few years ago I had my revelation and changed my mind. 

Well you could also say that things that help pitchers speed up the game.  You want to speed up the game let's raise the mound.  Yes I'm trolling - a little.  

Personally I think 14-13 games are an atrocity, an affront to the game so I'm, in that sense, "pro pitcher".  They are like women with enormous bosoms - all well and good if you are into that kind of thing.  I'm also, for aesthetic reasons, a fan of "small ball" where teams have to scratch out runs by good base running and smart hitting behind the runner.  

• Like 1

Another little rule change that just continues the trend to screw up the beautiful game that is baseball.  I also agree with PT....14-13 games are ridiculous. Only exception may be the rare comeback games...those down 9-0 games where a team claws back into it can be great to watch. 

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the game.  I'd prefer something closer to the Don Drysdale method of intentional walks:

"Why use four pitches to put someone on base intentionally when I can do it with one?" (when asked why he hit a batter with a pitch instead of walking him intentionally)

- Don Drysdale

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Plus the catcher bulks each and every time, when was the last time you seen a catcher stay in the box until the pitch is thrown?

When is the last time you saw the strike zone called by rule?  One of the peculiarities, and charms, of the game is that "custom" often has more force than "rule".  

Just now, Patched Tube said:

When is the last time you saw the strike zone called by rule?  One of the peculiarities, and charms, of the game is that "custom" often has more force than "rule".  

I agree with that.

6 hours ago, Wasted in the heat said:

To MMAZ's point, they need to shave hours off of an average game.  So what does baseball do, they eliminate something that maybe takes 30 seconds every time it happens.  And it happens, what, once in an average game?   Probably even less than that.

IMO the biggest time burners are pitching changes.  Pitching has become ridiculously specialized, and it has been bad for the watchability of the game IMO.  Id make it so pitchers can only be changed between innings barring injury.  Also, I'd institute a pitch clock.  Saw it at a minor league game last year and it really moved the game along.   

There is a pitch clock in AAA ball. 

25 minutes ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

There is a pitch clock in AAA ball. 

Yep.  Mentioned that.  Went to a game last year that used it and it helped keep the game moving.  

:lol:

C5TAbw-UYAAJCIG.png:large

New Season Debuts April 2, 2017!!

4 hours ago, Power13 said:

:lol:

C5TAbw-UYAAJCIG.png:large

New Season Debuts April 2, 2017!!

On who's turf?

Isn't this stupid neither the Cubs or Cards need this to happen on opening day.

Plus Cards get one home weekend series and the Cubs get two????? I think each and every series should be on the weekend.

Tix secured for July4th game @ Wrigley as the Cubs take on Tampa Bay.

IS there a better way to celebrate the 4th than watching the WS champs play our nation's pastime?  I don't think so. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

Aaron Judge. Mercy. 

That dude is huge. What are his numbers 6'7" 260??? Will he make the team.

Look at the scoreboard.... 50/50 $11,456 for a spring training game?

8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

That dude is huge. What are his numbers 6'7" 260??? Will he make the team.

Look at the scoreboard.... 50/50 $11,456 for a spring training game?

Looking to be the every day RF. He's a boom or bust type of hitter. He started out hot with the other rookie call ups last year and then he hit a major slump as the season was winding down. Strikes out alot, and is trying to shake that. He's 6'7' 255, almost! ;)

16 hours ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

Looking to be the every day RF. He's a boom or bust type of hitter. He started out hot with the other rookie call ups last year and then he hit a major slump as the season was winding down. Strikes out alot, and is trying to shake that. He's 6'7' 255, almost! ;)

There's this thing called a curveball. He needs to ask Jobu ;)

Never forget, that's the reason John Elway is in the Football HoF. Couldn't hit a curveball.