HelloNewman

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - Euro tour

21 hours ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Tonight is the night.  

And...?

1 hour ago, SteveJhb said:

And...?

Great show.  Have seen Jason several times over the years starting with the DBTs then solo in a local 200 seat music hall and now headlining at the Fox.  He is really growing into his role as a bonifide rock star - or Americana or alt country or however you want to classify him star.  Amazing progression to watch him leave the DBTs with his tail somewhat between his legs to headlining two nights at a major venue, and to see his confidence growing to fill a large theater with emotional energy.  

James McMurtry opened the show.  I had no idea that he was novelist Larry McMurty’s son.  Sound mix was a little off for his set.  Completely different vocal register for him vs Jason, so understandable.  

Pic from last night.  Sorry for the crappy focus (I blame Apple). 

689B6A63-8330-4EA4-9B77-BDABC56AAF46.thumb.png.5ba517323d2555e4236be612f605a086.png

• Like 4

And what a setlist you got... Children Of Children, Refugee and Vampires to close? Those 15 or 20 minutes alone would have been more than enough for me..

Just now, SteveJhb said:

And what a setlist you got... Children Of Children, Refugee and Vampires to close? Those 15 or 20 minutes alone would have been more than enough for me..

Thought Vampires was a strange closer.  As great as the song is it was a little anticlimactic after Refugee.  If I have one complaint about Isbell’s shows (and it is a minor one), it is that the pacing always seems a little off to me.  I think it has to do with his repertoire containing a lot more ballads than rockers.  

Again it’s a minor quibble, but when they said good night after Vampires it felt weird that the show was actually over.

3 minutes ago, Wasted in the heat said:

ETA.  Children of Children is INCREDIBLE live.  Much more powerful than the record version.  

I have some audio boots of it live... I can only imagine.

13 hours ago, shirlsdins said:

http://blackdeerfestival.com

Got an email about this today.

Never heard of it before but Jason and co appearing at in Kent in June.

Southern Fried Festival in Perth is in July, hopefully Jason will stick around a do that one as well.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, SteveJhb said:

I have some audio boots of it live... I can only imagine.

Hi Steve, were the boots from Dimeadozen? If so can you recommend thanks Dave

22 minutes ago, davemunday said:

Hi Steve, were the boots from Dimeadozen? If so can you recommend thanks Dave

Hi Dave

I don't actually know that site... When I say 'boots' they are actually kind of my own ones... Mostly audio I've pulled from YouTube videos. Children of Children, for example, I have two very good versions, one from the Live In Boston video and also a very good version from the Kink Lounge.

34 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Hi Dave

I don't actually know that site... When I say 'boots' they are actually kind of my own ones... Mostly audio I've pulled from YouTube videos. Children of Children, for example, I have two very good versions, one from the Live In Boston video and also a very good version from the Kink Lounge.

Steve thanks for all your help Dave

• Like 1

A pal of mine who now has his own record store advises that there's a live EP in the wind for Record Store Day.

Announcement soon apparently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

A pal of mine who now has his own record store advises that there's a live EP in the wind for Record Store Day.

Announcement soon apparently.

Ten bucks says its the 6 Tom Petty songs played at the Ryman run last year...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

Ten bucks says its the 6 Tom Petty songs played at the Ryman run last year...

He seemed to think it was something.older (though, to be fair, he's not a massive fan in spite of my best efforts) but I'd settle for that on vinyl with nice packaging.

34 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

He seemed to think it was something.older (though, to be fair, he's not a massive fan in spite of my best efforts) but I'd settle for that on vinyl with nice packaging.

Oh I know!

I actually think it's the Live AT Twist & Shout album being re-released. I saw it on a JI FB page now I think about it.

I have that on CD, but not vinyl.

Ah, OK I've heard of that but never tried too hard to source a copy.

I'm happy with that.

For anyone interested, the band gave a live webcast last night. Not sure how long the link will be up for: