Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

St. Louis 8/23/2008 is newest archive release!!!!


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Can we add Sunderland 2012 just in case he's actually lurking?!

Double it up with the night after in Manchester ... The Promise and Prove it all night (78 intro) coldest gig ever

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, davemunday said:

Double it up with the night after in Manchester ... The Promise and Prove it all night (78 intro) coldest gig ever

This is the best idea I've ever seen.

I was tempted to say treble it and include the Isle of Wight show from the Sunday, but I'd be more than content with just the two :lol:

I still hold a massive grudge against that radio DJ scum Jo Whiley for that Isle of Wight coverage :angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I just hope the next release isn't a Seeger Show. I'd see it as a waste when there's so many great shows from the 70s, 80s, (to an extent) the 90s and early/late 00s unreleased. And I don't think it would sell well either, which is something we kinda need to consider when predicting and hearing rumours. 

I think when the Archive is a lot bulkier and a lot of the renowned shows have been released it'll be fine to release a popular Seeger show, but not now. 

As far as the old rumours go I remember when Bruce told somebody at the Waterstones meet and greet that they were working on some Reunion tour shows, and that was a while ago and there's been no news so I'm going to come to the conclusion that sooner or later we're getting the 10 night MSG stand. And we'll be able to listen to Blood Brothers, Code of Silence, Further On (Up the Road), The E Street Shuffle, Another Thin Line and The Promise until our hearts are content. 

As far a show I'd like to see, just please give me one without Fire, Spirit in the Night, a full band For You, Sherry Darling and one with Landau playing guitar or one with PRETTY FLAMINGO. - Oh look there I go again.

One with Landau playing guitar? Already available..... Adelaide 1 from 2014. Landau came onstage during Shout. I was dere....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

One with Landau playing guitar? Already available..... Adelaide 1 from 2014. Landau came onstage during Shout. I was dere....

I think Landau's on Helsinki too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to get a Seeger show - I love that tour - but I guess since we've got Live In Dublin that won't be a prioritized tour. Yes, I know there's the London Calling show and the 2009 Buffalo show, but they were different on many levels. 

I hope we'll get a show from a tour that's not been represented by an audio and/or video release, and that hasn't been released in the Archive series. That leaves a few tours:

A Joad show even though a few of the boots would almost make such a release redundant. A The Rising tour show would be nice although not at the top of my list. Something pre-Born To Run would be amazing, I do hope there's at least one early show (pre-75) that can be released. A '76 or' 77-show would be equally great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like a Seeger show if there's one where there isn't a whole row of minor key songs as they make the official release sound kind of samey after awhile. It's funny because I'm guessing 'For You' is a relatively rare song live but it's been on a few of the Archive releases already. I like the St.Louis version though. Anything pre-1980 I'm not interested in. I would purchase a Joad show but I'm not really a fan of solo Bruce. Some songs sound great acoustically but whole shows bore me (the Columbus 2005 show is very hit and miss). Bruce really isn't a solo performer in my opinion, although the Christic shows are very good this is as much to do with choice of material and awesome vocals. I'd love a Rising show, or a 2007 Magic tour one, or Reunion, but we'll see...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I hope we'll get a show from a tour that's not been represented by an audio and/or video release, and that hasn't been released in the Archive series. That leaves a few tours:

A The Rising tour show would be nice although not at the top of my list. 

There is already an official release of the Rising Tour and it's called Live In Barcelona. But no official release of this tour in the archive series (yet), if that was what you meant.

And, Barcelona is a show that is actually rather representative of the Rising tour; a 2002 show with a setlist build around songs from The Rising album; where the 2003 shows were longer and had more variation in the setlist, but some songs from The Rising were dropped in 2003. 

So it could be argued then that the tours that really need a release, except pre-1975 and 1976/1977, are the Joad Tour, which has no official release (yet), and 1992/1993:ph34r:, as MTV Plugged is not really representative of a regular 1992/1993 show.

Meanwhile, would there be a professional recording of a Steel Mill show in the vaults of Bruce Inc.?:)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I think Landau's on Helsinki too. 

Just got to that bit today. So we now officially have more Landau-on-guitar shows released than (insert favourite classic era tour) shows. Angry fans, man your keyboards....

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lampi said:

There is already an official release of the Rising Tour and it's called Live In Barcelona. But no official release of this tour in the archive series (yet), if that was what you meant.

And, Barcelona is a show that is actually rather representative of the Rising tour; a 2002 show with a setlist build around songs from The Rising album; where the 2003 shows were longer and had more variation in the setlist, but some songs from The Rising were dropped in 2003. 

So it could be argued then that the tours that really need a release, except pre-1975 and 1976/1977, are the Joad Tour, which has no official release (yet), and 1992/1993:ph34r:, as MTV Plugged is not really representative of a regular 1992/1993 show.

Meanwhile, would there be a professional recording of a Steel Mill show in the vaults of Bruce Inc.?:)

 

I knew I left something out... Thanks for setting me straight, Lampi. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lampi said:

There is already an official release of the Rising Tour and it's called Live In Barcelona. But no official release of this tour in the archive series (yet), if that was what you meant.

And, Barcelona is a show that is actually rather representative of the Rising tour; a 2002 show with a setlist build around songs from The Rising album; where the 2003 shows were longer and had more variation in the setlist, but some songs from The Rising were dropped in 2003. 

So it could be argued then that the tours that really need a release, except pre-1975 and 1976/1977, are the Joad Tour, which has no official release (yet), and 1992/1993:ph34r:, as MTV Plugged is not really representative of a regular 1992/1993 show.

Meanwhile, would there be a professional recording of a Steel Mill show in the vaults of Bruce Inc.?:)

 

The trouble with Barcelona is that the audio sounds like the band are performing in a tunnel. So yeah, we could use another Rising tour show. If anything, they could release the London Show that was performed eleven days later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bsfan50 said:

If anything, they could release the London Show that was performed eleven days later.

A random thought is that after London 1975, London 2009 and London 2013, it is -maybe- somewhat unlikely again a show from London will be released.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Karembu said:

With Lampi on this - would love a Steel Mill or BS Band show!

While I'd prefer Steel Mill over The Bruce Springsteen Band (and a million times over a Seeger Sessions Band release),

this one might be possible, it seems? -

1971-07-29 - D'SCENE, SOUTH AMBOY, NJ

C.C. RIDER (11:44) / YOU MEAN SO MUCH TO ME (5:23) / COME ON BILLY (BREAK OUT THE WINE) (5:40) / NATURAL MAGIC (6:06) / FULL OF LOVE (5:43) / DARKNESS, DARKNESS (18:29) / GOIN' BACK TO GEORGIA (9:19) / I'M IN LOVE AGAIN (4:23) / DANCE DANCE DANCE (6:57) / LAST NIGHT IN TULSA (5:21) / YOU DON'T LEAVE ME NO CHOICE (7:33) / JAMBALAYA (ROLL OVER) (12:05)

Two shows (9.00pm and 11:30pm), double bill, with the nine-piece Bruce Springsteen Band headlining and Sunny Jim opening. The Band consists of core members Springsteen, Van Zandt, Tallent, Lopez, and Sancious, plus (on selected songs) Harvey Cherlin (trumpet), Bobby Feigenbaum (saxophone), Delores Holmes (vocals), and Barbara Dinkins (vocals).

The above twelve-song setlist is from an excellent quality soundboard recording that is not currently in circulation. This source is unique in being the only known recording of a complete, full-length Bruce Springsteen Band concert with backing singers and horns. The reels were recently discovered in the vault of a highly respected collector and originally belonged to Mike Appel. Three songs from this recording ("You Mean So Much To Me", "Come On Billy (Break Out The Wine)", and "Natural Magic") can be found on the CD 'The Bruce Springsteen Story, Vol 4' (E Street Records), incorrectly attributed to a show the following week at Sunshine In in Asbury Park. During the show, Bruce (and Vini Lopez, who calls the club the Sunshine Out) can be heard advertising their upcoming appearance. The sound quality of the new source is a substantial upgrade over the three songs found on the aforementioned bootleg, about 114-minutes long with continuity between songs, and certainly the complete set. There were two shows tonight, it is uncertain which the recording emanates from.

Unsurprisingly, the set structure is similar to the show a week earlier at Damrosch Park in New York City, opening with "C.C Rider" before "You Mean So Much To Me", which interestingly Bruce introduces with the title "When She Sings To Me". "Natural Magic" was, at the time, probably Bruce's finest love song. This is the only known recording of "Full Of Love", a song that was previously known from a handwritten setlist document which is believed to emanate from a gig at this venue. While the chorus is actually sung "I thank the Lord above / for sending me a woman that is filled with so much love", it seems highly likely that they are the same song. The instrumental "Darkness, Darkness" clocks in at over 18 minutes, and contains elements that would later be found in "Kitty's Back". Delores Holmes provides the vocals on "I'm In Love Again" and "You Don't Leave Me No Choice", which once again features some outstanding guitar work from Springsteen.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2017 at 5:18 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I just hope the next release isn't a Seeger Show. I'd see it as a waste when there's so many great shows from the 70s, 80s, (to an extent) the 90s and early/late 00s unreleased. And I don't think it would sell well either, which is something we kinda need to consider when predicting and hearing rumours. 

I think when the Archive is a lot bulkier and a lot of the renowned shows have been released it'll be fine to release a popular Seeger show, but not now. 

As far as the old rumours go I remember when Bruce told somebody at the Waterstones meet and greet that they were working on some Reunion tour shows, and that was a while ago and there's been no news so I'm going to come to the conclusion that sooner or later we're getting the 10 night MSG stand. And we'll be able to listen to Blood Brothers, Code of Silence, Further On (Up the Road), The E Street Shuffle, Another Thin Line and The Promise until our hearts are content. 

As far a show I'd like to see, just please give me one without Fire, Spirit in the Night, a full band For You, Sherry Darling and one with Landau playing guitar or one with PRETTY FLAMINGO. - Oh look there I go again.

Regardless of my feelings about Landau's artistic decisions with Bruce (primarily the lack of multiple important, incredible live releases on Columbia, and things like shortening Tracks to 4 CDs, i.e. less releases), I'm not sure why you would want a show with him specifically playing guitar - but it made me think, did you know his brother played guitar?

David Landau was in the band Boulder that played with Warren Zevon on Stand In The Fire (and he played on a couple of Warren's other albums as well, and Carolyne Mas also).

Stand In The Fire has some very fine guitar on it. David played lead guitar. (Jon Landau I believe gave up his dreams of being a rock and roll guitarist in his band Jellyroll after handing Barry Tashian, of the great, largely unknown Boston band The Remains, his guitar after playing a cover song for him, and Barry then just blew his playing completely away, blew Jon's mind; I'm forgetting the exact account of Jon's; he was a huge Remains fan [I love them; their sound apparently was never documented accurately on recordings at ALL though; they were supposedly loud and powerful as hell] - anyway, I could swear Jon Landau then said he after hearing Barry play, he just gave up after that moment, if I recall correctly. I forget what book that's in - maybe Mansion On The Hill [essential reading]).

But anyway, his brother David could play some really nice leads.

It's been so long since I listened to what is my favorite Warren Zevon album, I don't know what song to pick to post...

david landau.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The next archive release I'd like would be....

 

on Columbia, with Clearmountain mixing, and from the 1970s. Preferably 1978.

 

(NOT the Seeger Sessions Band, and not the '92-'93 band, and - no shows later than 2000, and ideally from the 1970s; not a Ghost of Tom Joad tour show either - the boots won't be topped; do those after the '70s, do every release after the 1970s have fully been covered, as in ALL the shows available!

Bring on the best first!

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Regardless of my feelings about Landau's artistic decisions with Bruce (primarily the lack of multiple important, incredible live releases on Columbia, and things like shortening Tracks to 4 CDs, i.e. less releases), I'm not sure why you would want a show with him specifically playing guitar - but it made me think, did you know his brother played guitar?

David Landau was in the band Boulder that played with Warren Zevon on Stand In The Fire (and he played on a couple of Warren's other albums as well, and Carolyne Mas also).

Stand In The Fire has some very fine guitar on it. David played lead guitar. (Jon Landau I believe gave up his dreams of being a rock and roll guitarist in his band Jellyroll after handing Barry Tashian, of the great, largely unknown Boston band The Remains, his guitar after playing a cover song for him, and Barry then just blew his playing completely away, blew Jon's mind; I'm forgetting the exact account of Jon's; he was a huge Remains fan [I love them; their sound apparently was never documented accurately on recordings at ALL though; they were supposedly loud and powerful as hell] - anyway, I could swear Jon Landau then said he after hearing Barry play, he just gave up after that moment, if I recall correctly. I forget what book that's in - maybe Mansion On The Hill [essential reading]).

But anyway, his brother David could play some really nice leads.

It's been so long since I listened to what is my favorite Warren Zevon album, I don't know what song to pick to post...

david landau.jpg

I was only joking :lol: but that's some interesting info 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

David Landau was in the band Boulder that played with Warren Zevon on Stand In The Fire (and he played on a couple of Warren's other albums as well, and Carolyne Mas also).

 

Wow, I never knew they were brothers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lampi said:

A random thought is that after London 1975, London 2009 and London 2013, it is -maybe- somewhat unlikely again a show from London will be released.

Why would it matter if it's London or not?  I know some crowds are more into it than others, but other than the collective accent of the crowd singing back, the kid singing Sunny Day, or Bruce mentioning the city, it's the performance that matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Regardless of my feelings about Landau's artistic decisions with Bruce (primarily the lack of multiple important, incredible live releases on Columbia

Yes.

Like: the greatest live albums of all time: Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, The Who Live At Leeds, Waiting For Columbus, and-fill in your other favourite live album (James Brown Live At The Apollo, or whatever)-

and Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live At The Bottom Line 1975!:) In a parallel universe, the greatest live album of all time, by anyone.

However, Bruce (& The ESB) were in good company; as for many years the only Led Zeppelin live album was the disappointing The Song Remains The Same (but tbh, I never heard this album myself, just because of its bad reputation). And it also could be argued that -before the Bootleg Series- Bob Dylan never released a really legendary live album-maybe could have been Hard Rain if released as a double album. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Warren Zevon too and randomly at a mate's BBQ yesterday, speaking to a couple of other guys that loved his music too.  Far too rare when that happens as the guy is a legend.

But back to Bruce! If I could ask Santa Landau for two gimmes it would be an official, Clearmountain mixed Version of Passaic Night in a proper jewel case and for the archive I too would prefer Steel Mill but the quality of the BS Band shows I have just blow the Steel Mill ones I have out of the water.  I haven't heard the bootleg SoulCrusader78 mentions above but I have the Damrosch Park show and it is awesome.  Bruce's guitar playing throughout is awesome and as a big Chicago blues fan, I am always a sucker for female backing vocals and horns generally.

Which is my long winded way of saying thanks SoulCrusader78, great idea... Now if you can sort that one out, I will owe you a beer!

Link to post
Share on other sites

They should offer a subscription service and release one every 4 weeks. I'd pay $15 per month, which would also allow streaming content to a new Nugs app just for Bruce with every release being available to subscribers. Even better, giving us a democratic voice as to what is next each month. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

They should offer a subscription service and release one every 4 weeks. I'd pay $15 per month, which would also allow streaming content to a new Nugs app just for Bruce with every release being available to subscribers. Even better, giving us a democratic voice as to what is next each month. 

This is a good idea. And because Landau likes his money he could possibly add a Video on-Demand service as well featuring a plethora of full concerts for maybe more than $15. 

I like your democratic voice idea as well, subscribers can be sent emails asking what they'd like to hear. They could offer say 5 random shows and the fans can pick one. 

I still like the idea someone suggested during one of the recent SLVs about a streaming service airing modern shows when they're playing live. With Periscope being at large they could easily stop that with good quality streaming and make money from it. I imagine the majority of people on here would pay for it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...