Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buddhabone

St. Louis 8/23/2008 is newest archive release!!!!

This is the kind of concert I wish he plays every night...
I mean, four five covers with four five chords...
Shouldn't be too hard to rehearse with the band a four five hours before concert starts. 

Lovely 

Someone else mentioned this but why are the guitars (other than Bruce's) so low in the mix on all nugs releases?

Two glaring examples: Stevie's "Jungleland" solo from Philly 2/12/16 and Nils' solo from "Because The Night" from this release. I need to FEEL that solo not strain to hear it. What's the deal?

Anyway I've listened to "Then she kissed me" from this show about 2 million times on YouTube I cannot tell you how happy I am they released it. One of his best covers.

My first Springsteen show and still the greatest concert I have ever attended.  I remember sitting up in section 308 and wondering why it was taking over an hour for Bruce to hit the stage.  The rumors were flying with everything from Clarence's health to Bruce was waiting for Tony LaRussa to finish managing at Busch.  All I know is that from the time he hit the stage to the final note, everybody in attendance was given a "jersey baptism".  Such an amazing night of music and a night that hooked me on Bruce forever.

I have to wonder if there was a little extra incentive to release this after the death of St. Louis' own Chuck Berry and the song "Little Queenie" being covered?  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, thecommish said:

My first Springsteen show and still the greatest concert I have ever attended.  I remember sitting up in section 308 and wondering why it was taking over an hour for Bruce to hit the stage.  The rumors were flying with everything from Clarence's health to Bruce was waiting for Tony LaRussa to finish managing at Busch.  All I know is that from the time he hit the stage to the final note, everybody in attendance was given a "jersey baptism".  Such an amazing night of music and a night that hooked me on Bruce forever.

I have to wonder if there was a little extra incentive to release this after the death of St. Louis' own Chuck Berry and the song "Little Queenie" being covered?  Just a thought.

Nice to see you Again! Was wondering where you ran off to?

9 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

Yeah, I don't get how a fan favorite that sold well and got good reviews is underrated.

Referring to Magic as underrated is just a lazy shorthand cliche. Fans love it. It's underplayed unfortunately but not underrated. 

I'm not a fan of the Magic album overall, but I still prefer recordings where Bruce is concentrating on contemporary releases rather than whole album shows, or nostalgia tours. St. Louis has been great so far and the version of Mary's Place easily transcends the Barcelona one (the only other version I'd heard live)!

Listening it to it now.  

and downloading it..

Thanks for the link

Just hearing Clarences voice on Out in the Street almost made me blub.  

That Youtube is Gold!

Some extra content pinned onto the end.

Then She Kissed Me

Everytime You Walk Into the Room

Nice to hear the band warming up ahead of the gig

On 4/14/2017 at 3:36 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I love this.

20 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

God, listening to Mary's Place. Tears of joy.

He sang it much better in 2008 than he did in 2017. Vocals were far more intense and rasping. Just doesn't sound as good now. "bands counting out midnight floors rumblin loud" has to be belted out with all he's got, but it's sung too gently now. Great to have this version in stellar sound. 

Yes, some posts are now missing - not really gonna miss the poster.

Back to the topic - a good recording of a great show

Maybe not a "you gotta have it" show for everyone, but I would recommend it

I listened to some of it this morning whilst getting ready for work and it really is a great show. I loved Bruce's voice on Mountain Of Love and I think after downloading it, it's made me realise how much I wish I'd gone to a Magic Tour show. And of course it's great hearing Livin' In The Future live, I do wish Bruce would start playing it again. It's almost been 10 years! :lol:

1 hour ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Yes, some posts are now missing - not really gonna miss the poster.

Back to the topic - a good recording of a great show

Maybe not a "you gotta have it" show for everyone, but I would recommend it

For me, performance wise, this is easily the most impressive archive release after the 1980 Uniondale gig.

I've started listening to it and enjoying it so far (up to Mountain of Love).

I must say I fall in the camp of also wishing for an earlier Magic tour show, with all the Magic songs in their set places along with Reason To Believe and that great closing 5 pack from Arcade through to Badlands. Akin to the Darkness and Tunnel tours in how specific songs (and not just a specific type of song) were in set places for the overall theme of the night.

I remember this St Louis show causing a stir even at the time due to the rarities. But it's interesting how it is considered a Reunion era classic, when there are many fans who bemoan the recent tendency towards unstructured free-for-all setlists with no overarching theme...... this St Louis show is in some ways the grandparent of those shows.

3 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I listened to some of it this morning whilst getting ready for work and it really is a great show. I loved Bruce's voice on Mountain Of Love and I think after downloading it, it's made me realise how much I wish I'd gone to a Magic Tour show. And of course it's great hearing Livin' In The Future live, I do wish Bruce would start playing it again. It's almost been 10 years! :lol:

Do u mean you had a chance to go to a Magic era show and didn't go? Or didn't the tour come near you? 

This was the first show I took my adult daughter to.  She was familiar with the music as she grew up with me listening to it, but she had no idea about live Bruce.  

When he opened with the Crystals, I remember saying out loud to myself, "oh, my."  

She said, "what?"

I said, "you'll see."

That night had Magic written all over it from the get-go, and by the time it was over, she saw.  And she came to believe.  We've since seen him twice again in St. Louis together.  Those three nights are among my favorite daddy-daughter dates ever...this is going into the collection immediately.

Happy Easter to all!!!

7 hours ago, risingaurora said:

Do u mean you had a chance to go to a Magic era show and didn't go? Or didn't the tour come near you? 

Well I was 10/11 at the time so unfortunately not! 

2 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Well I was 10/11 at the time so unfortunately not! 

10 or 11 is no excuse! That's practically A senior citizen for Sunny Day.

13 minutes ago, cdymaestro said:

Hahaha :lol: that's true !

1 hour ago, cdymaestro said:

That just makes me feel old, I cant believe those shows were nearly 10 years ago wow!!   Great times though!  The London o2 show was great as were the following years stadium shows.  I think a down load of this is needed! 

Must join the chorus of disappointment he didn't release an earlier Magic tour show with Devil's Arcade and the full band Reason to Believe (maybe there's a copyright issue 'cos he stole the riff from ZZ Top?).

I never cared for the live version of Magic he did on this tour i.e mainly solo acoustic, virtually devoid of the tune, lacking the dark groove and foreboding atmosphere of the studio version. 

songs like Then She Kissed Me and Mountain of Love are pop fluff that should have been left alone after 1975. Can't stand 'em. 

Mountain of Love wouldn't be out of place in a Status Quo set. 

Looks like I'll be sticking with the classic San Jose and Euro Crystal Cat boots for this tour