Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buddhabone

St. Louis 8/23/2008 is newest archive release!!!!

3 hours ago, Demos said:

Must join the chorus of disappointment he didn't release an earlier Magic tour show with Devil's Arcade and the full band Reason to Believe (maybe there's a copyright issue 'cos he stole the riff from ZZ Top?).

So you're suggesting ZZ Top originated that riff?

21 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

So you're suggesting ZZ Top originated that riff?

No.  I phrased it as a question so someone with the knowledge could let me know. Could have been some old blues guy.  

3 hours ago, Demos said:

No.  I phrased it as a question so someone with the knowledge could let me know. Could have been some old blues guy.  

It's a John Lee Hooker riff from Boogie Chillun 

1 hour ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

It's a John Lee Hooker riff from Boogie Chillun 

It's a generic blues riff. You'd have a hard time as a musician trying to claim ownership of that one. By the way I always think of Norman Greenbaum's Spirit In The Sky, which is quite apt in a (ironic) way.

18 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

It's a generic blues riff. You'd have a hard time as a musician trying to claim ownership of that one. By the way I always think of Norman Greenbaum's Spirit In The Sky, which is quite apt in a (ironic) way.

Nonsense, it became generic but John Lee Hooker could claim it as much as Bo Diddley could claim the riff to She's the One.

22 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I've started listening to it and enjoying it so far (up to Mountain of Love).

I must say I fall in the camp of also wishing for an earlier Magic tour show, with all the Magic songs in their set places along with Reason To Believe and that great closing 5 pack from Arcade through to Badlands. Akin to the Darkness and Tunnel tours in how specific songs (and not just a specific type of song) were in set places for the overall theme of the night.

I remember this St Louis show causing a stir even at the time due to the rarities. But it's interesting how it is considered a Reunion era classic, when there are many fans who bemoan the recent tendency towards unstructured free-for-all setlists with no overarching theme...... this St Louis show is in some ways the grandparent of those shows.

Yes. I agree with everything you say, but I also guess they will return to this tour at some point-especially as there are no other releases on CD or DVD - yet- of this tour. (on the other hand, another release from this tour will probably be a few years from now).

Also, there were still 6 songs from Magic played in St. Louis. That's more songs from the new album than were played at the final legs of some other tours (WOAD, Wrecking Ball and also, longer ago, the Tunnel Tour). (in fact, at most WOAD shows, there were even less than 6 songs played from the new album, except a few shows in the beginning of the tour).

From the 3 Magic Tour shows I saw (2 in 2007, 1 in 2008) and the bootlegs I heard, I would say the 2008 shows were more loose and more fun, with more rarities played and more changes in the setlist from night to night. While the 2007 shows were shorter as in 2008, with a more standard setlist from night to night; but a setlist build around the new album. The 2007 shows were short but intense and very great shows. All legs from this tour, the best Bruce Springsteen tour in the Reunion Era, have their merits and it would be a shame if there would be no more releases from this tour in the archive series.

On 14/4/2017 at 10:00 PM, Lampi said:

It is often said Magic is an underrated album, but is it really? Most fans seems to love it.

Also not underrated by general music press who gave Magic very good reviews at the time of release.

What? Underrated?? I play it more than Darkness, which is saying something.......

I wish they would do what many commercial bootlegs do and fill out the 3rd disc with additional songs from others shows.

3 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

I wish they would do what many commercial bootlegs do and fill out the 3rd disc with additional songs from others shows.

In fact the Godfather bootleg of this St. Louis show has a lot of bonus songs from the same (last) leg of the Magic Tour.

2 minutes ago, slane85 said:

What? Underrated?? I play it more than Darkness, which is saying something.......

I don't care much for Magic but I don't go around calling it overrated. The over-under-ratted thing is really a standard fallback thing that's overused.

We need more Magic, whether it be in the night or the day.

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

In fact the Godfather bootleg of this St. Louis show has a lot of bonus songs from the same (last) leg of the Magic Tour.

Crystal Cat does that a lot too. There's a number of different songs from the last leg of the tour that would have been a nice addition.

37 minutes ago, Lampi said:

You mean Crystal Cat? I don't remember a Godfather release of it.

28 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

You mean Crystal Cat? I don't remember a Godfather release of it.

No, the Godfather bootleg Lying In The Heat Of The Night.

What a great show, just purchased it yesterday and have been listening to it today.  Great setlist especially hearing Then She Kissed Me, Mountain of Love & Little Queenie.

I just downloaded a bunch of 2007 shows from Jungleland....putting them on my iPod now.

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

Yes. I agree with everything you say, but I also guess they will return to this tour at some point-especially as there are no other releases on CD or DVD - yet- of this tour. (on the other hand, another release from this tour will probably be a few years from now).

It would be a fair ways down the road you would think. My guess is there will be a Reunion tour show, a Rising tour show and a Tom Joad show. When they start re-visiting tours, the obvious first choices IMO would be a 1981 River show and a 1985 BITUSA show due to show/ setlist evolution on those tours. Possibly another Darkness show also. Not sure if they are looking at any pre-1975 stuff, 92/93 tour or a Seeger show for release also, I personally hope so.

Then again, ten year anniversary this year so why not celebrate with another one.....

Magic 2007. They all played together. I remember being in awe of that at my one 2007 show. Little did i know at the time how soon it would go away. :(

12 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Nonsense, it became generic but John Lee Hooker could claim it as much as Bo Diddley could claim the riff to She's the One.

No, it isn't. There are literally hundreds of blues tunes that predate Hooker using and it and, believe me, if Bo Diddley could claim the riff to She's the One, his name would already be on the credits.

On 15/04/2017 at 10:04 PM, Bosstralian said:

I've started listening to it and enjoying it so far (up to Mountain of Love).

I must say I fall in the camp of also wishing for an earlier Magic tour show, with all the Magic songs in their set places along with Reason To Believe and that great closing 5 pack from Arcade through to Badlands. Akin to the Darkness and Tunnel tours in how specific songs (and not just a specific type of song) were in set places for the overall theme of the night.

I remember this St Louis show causing a stir even at the time due to the rarities. But it's interesting how it is considered a Reunion era classic, when there are many fans who bemoan the recent tendency towards unstructured free-for-all setlists with no overarching theme...... this St Louis show is in some ways the grandparent of those shows.

I agree with some of your points; it would've been nice to get an earlier Magic show, and I am one the fans who dislikes 'unstructured free for all' approach, but I do think there's enough of Magic present to make this feel like a Magic show. Plus, the performance is fantastic.

9 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Not sure if they are looking at any pre-1975 stuff

I hope so; but the famous shows from the radio broadcasts are now available as legal-not official-and not too expensive cd's and even vinyl albums in regular brick-and-mortar record shops (but maybe not in Australia?), and maybe not certain if any other shows pre-Born To Run tour (except the radio broadcasts) were professionally recorded.

I would also like, as I said before,a release of a 1976 and/or a 1977 show.

2 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

No, it isn't. There are literally hundreds of blues tunes that predate Hooker using and it and, believe me, if Bo Diddley could claim the riff to She's the One, his name would already be on the credits.

There's a bias in being to be able to claim copyright against rhythm. It has been a major complain Bo had thoughout his career, look it up. It is quite baffling. 

I'm familiar with the plagiarism debate, yeah. It's a tough one. In the case of She's The One, I don't think there's enough of anything stolen for Bo to have a case. Although I'm sure the counter argument would be that the rhythm makes the song...I think it's a component for sure but...Oh, whatever the genesis of the riff for Reason To Believe, I don't believe it was a factor in deciding which Magic show to release. As you say you could easily say the same for She's The One.

@bobfan1976 Bo can't make a case because he can't claim copyright, it's a cultural bias. copyright law just doesn't enable him to claim authorship.