Greasy Lake Community

St. Louis 8/23/2008 is newest archive release!!!!

31 minutes ago, Smilin' Skull Ring said:

Gypsy Biker! what a track!! :):)

I know! It certainly is! Honestly, this release made me appreciate it more. Honestly, the production of the Magic album is terrible and diminishes the quality of the songs and while they are much better live, audience bootlegs can not capture it the way a high quality recording like this can. What a fabulous show and recording all around!! 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was listening to the download today at work and the line "You just slipped somethin' into my palm" got me thinking. The indescribable something works much better as an actual object would, every listner can visualise individually what it is. I've always assumed that she has given him a crumpled piece of paper. Plesae, don't ask me why, this was just the first image of what has happened on that doorstep. Never, until today, have I been thinking about it.

What do you think was slipped into his palm?

1 hour ago, Silvia said:

I was listening to the download today at work and the line "You just slipped somethin' into my palm" got me thinking. The indescribable something works much better as an actual object would, every listner can visualise individually what it is. I've always assumed that she has given him a crumpled piece of paper. Plesae, don't ask me why, this was just the first image of what has happened on that doorstep. Never, until today, have I been thinking about it.

I've always thought it was a piece of jewellery. Not entirely sure what kind of jewellery though. 

Just something made of gold.

3 hours ago, Silvia said:

A toupee.

As much as I love finally having this "official" Magic Tour release, I agree with those here who have posted that a 2007 release at some point would be great.  The early shows were tighter and more thematic, and let's not forget that the final show which was fully played with all of the original ESB members was Boston 11/19/2007.

The few songs I've heard have sounded OK at best. The show's perfectly rated: the people who saw it think it was amazing, and the people who listen think it sounds alright.

This show lacks what made the tour behind the Magic album so great. Give us something from 2007, please.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:35 PM, badlands78 said:

As much as I love finally having this "official" Magic Tour release, I agree with those here who have posted that a 2007 release at some point would be great.  The early shows were tighter and more thematic, and let's not forget that the final show which was fully played with all of the original ESB members was Boston 11/19/2007.

If they were to release anything fro 2007, it would seem that Night 2 in Boston would be the natural one to pick.

Got to say I am disappointed with this one.  I have also been puzzled by the acclaim this show has garnered.  I think the set list and performance lack the intensity of the 2007 shows that included songs like Reason to Believe and Devil's Arcade.  I would have liked London or the "Blood Brothers" Danny show.  I just find the whole show rather dull.

One man's coffee is another man's tea I guess and I can't grumble as I am guessing many are thrilled to have this show.  I loved the last one from Buffalo as it has my favourite version of my favourite song: Lost in the Flood, but the beauty of this series is that there are shows for everyone.

What is really frustrating however, is the sound - or more precisely, the mix.  I really think Altschiller needs to go.  All I hear is drum and bass with everything else sounding like it's played under a blanket. The guitars need bringing much further forward and his treatment of Nils Lofgren on Because the Night is baffling - does he actually listen to the mixes afterward?! I actually sent Nugs a message on Facebook.  They replied to say they would pass on the feedback to the sound engineer...

The archive series is a dream concept and the sound quality generally is making my boots unlistenable.  To do the series justice, they just need to make sure they are mixed properly.

Finally got around to start listening to this show on my way back from the Uni Library. 

Stopped at the start of Backstreets because I didn't want to turn it off half-way through when I got in, so here's my early thoughts of the first 8 songs.

• Then She Kissed Me is good, though I prefer the 1975 version when comparing the two. Bruce's vocals were overshadowed it seemed by the rest of the percussion so that was a bit of a hindrance. 
  • Radio Nowhere sounded fucking class, the guitar was mint, the vocals were great.
  • Out in the Street somewhat suffered the same problem as Then She Kissed Me as Bruce's voice seemed secondary to everything else. Saying that, still very good, Stevie's vocals during his bit were class.
  • Adam Raised a Cain may have resulted in people staring at me as I may or may not have given a spoken reaction to the opening guitar. Wow! Vocals again were great.
  • Spirit in the Night was good, enjoyed listening to this version more than I did most 2016 versions. And it had Bruce's 'scream' during the opening which is always welcome in that song.
  • Rendezvous really could have done without that 2 minute drum-beat and Bruce shouting 'YEAH!' 800 times while collecting signs, I feel like it gave me a bad chest! I think they should have edited that out, or at least edited it down. It was unnecessary. Anyway, I'm impressed with myself given I somehow know the words to Rendezvous despite hardly ever listening to it.
  • For You sounded great. No issues. Great vocals and everything else.
  • Mountain of Love also sounded great with no issues, Bruce's vocals and the Band's performance were spot on.

I'll give my thoughts on the rest of the show in due time.

On 4/23/2017 at 11:17 PM, Karembu said:

What is really frustrating however, is the sound - or more precisely, the mix.  I really think Altschiller needs to go.  All I hear is drum and bass with everything else sounding like it's played under a blanket. The guitars need bringing much further forward and his treatment of Nils Lofgren on Because the Night is baffling - does he actually listen to the mixes afterward?! I actually sent Nugs a message on Facebook.  They replied to say they would pass on the feedback to the sound engineer...

The archive series is a dream concept and the sound quality generally is making my boots unlistenable.  To do the series justice, they just need to make sure they are mixed properly.

I actually think St Louis is one of the better sound quality releases, but Because The Night definitely sticks out as an anomaly. It gets to the solo, arguably the centrepiece of the song, and it's mixed far too low; in fact you can barely hear it. The same for Dancing In The Dark on the last two releases, or is it a new arrangement where the organ is supposed to be the dominant instrument?

On 4/24/2017 at 3:09 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

• Rendezvous really could have done without that 2 minute drum-beat and Bruce shouting 'YEAH!' 800 times while collecting signs, I feel like it gave me a bad chest! I think they should have edited that out, or at least edited it down. It was unnecessary. Anyway, I'm impressed with myself given I somehow know the words to Rendezvous despite hardly ever listening to it.

They definitely do need to edit these parts, or at least have them as a separate track as they do not bear repeated listening. Same with the songs that have the never ending band intros.

On 4/24/2017 at 9:09 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:
  • Mountain of Love also sounded great with no issues, Bruce's vocals and the Band's performance were spot on.

Except it's missing Clarence's solo. There is (was) a video out there that shows C was ready, but Bruce never called on him. 

One thing I'm reminded of as I'm reading this thread is the "Holy shit" nature of the set list as it played out in the night. I'd been wanting to hear Mountain of Love since I heard it on the Main Point '75 bootleg, and I never thought it would happen, so to get it was amazing! It wasn't totally a surprise that night, because they had sounchecked it the night before (reading about that was the shock- :o I was on pins and needles for the whole setlist watch), so I knew it was a possibility. I'd even brought a sign for it, but didn't get in the pit (and ended up using it to cover my head in the downpour that added insult to injury after the lottery :(), but someone else had brought one. This was the beginning of the "stump the band" shtick that's old hat now, but back then it was still pretty wild. 

I loved the whole stump the band section of those shows and how it pored over into the Dream tour. 

If I remember correctly Amsterdam was the first show where he started to play the wild card covers with Summertime Blues. Before that night he had a couple of covers he would do like Seven Nights to Rock but not nearly as many as he would do during the seventies. After that Amsterdam show that tradition was fully revived.

since the covers he does are a very important part of the draw to me I was very happy to bare witness that night.

Thanks bobfan1976 - I can remember hearing Nils' solo from the 02 in 2007 and I think that night is still the best version of Because the Night since 1978.  

More than anything, I just want a pristine sounding version of the song with Nils soloing.  I can't even enjoy my crystal cat version of the London Magic night as although I would say the mix is much better, the sound itself just doesn't compare sadly.  I just find it baffling as I say.  

I agree on DITD on the St. Louis release too.  The organ is so distracting, I end up skipping the song.  That said, I pretty much just listen to Last to Die, Gypsy Biker, Cover Me and Backstreets on this release anyway! Whilst I love Drive all Night and Long Walk Home, I prefer the versions on some of the other releases due to my preference sound and mix wise.

Hoping we get an "Other Band" show next... Well actually I would love a Steel Mill or Bruce Sprinsgteen Band show but I suspect I have more chance of winning tonight's lottery!

On 4/23/2017 at 6:17 PM, Karembu said:

Got to say I am disappointed with this one.  I have also been puzzled by the acclaim this show has garnered.  I think the set list and performance lack the intensity of the 2007 shows that included songs like Reason to Believe and Devil's Arcade.  I would have liked London or the "Blood Brothers" Danny show.  I just find the whole show rather dull.

One man's coffee is another man's tea I guess and I can't grumble as I am guessing many are thrilled to have this show.  I loved the last one from Buffalo as it has my favourite version of my favourite song: Lost in the Flood, but the beauty of this series is that there are shows for everyone.

Oh God no, I hope Altschiller doesn't go. His mixes are head and shoulders above the ones that Toby Scott and John Cooper were doing before him.

I agree about John Cooper but I actually thought Toby Scott's mixes were better.  Not perfect but better.  Where I think the earlier releases suffered was the general sound quality but I I think this has improved greatly with time.  

I just don't know why Altschiller seems to mix the guitars so low.  The clarity of individual instruments isn't too bad but I have tried this latest one on both my stereos and on my iPod with beats headphones and everything just appears to be fighting to be heard over the drums and especially the bass drum.

On 24 April 2017 at 3:09 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Finally got around to start listening to this show on my way back from the Uni Library. 

Stopped at the start of Backstreets because I didn't want to turn it off half-way through when I got in, so here's my early thoughts of the first 8 songs.

• Then She Kissed Me is good, though I prefer the 1975 version when comparing the two. Bruce's vocals were overshadowed it seemed by the rest of the percussion so that was a bit of a hindrance. 
  • Radio Nowhere sounded fucking class, the guitar was mint, the vocals were great.
  • Out in the Street somewhat suffered the same problem as Then She Kissed Me as Bruce's voice seemed secondary to everything else. Saying that, still very good, Stevie's vocals during his bit were class.
  • Adam Raised a Cain may have resulted in people staring at me as I may or may not have given a spoken reaction to the opening guitar. Wow! Vocals again were great.
  • Spirit in the Night was good, enjoyed listening to this version more than I did most 2016 versions. And it had Bruce's 'scream' during the opening which is always welcome in that song.
  • For You sounded great. No issues. Great vocals and everything else.

More thoughts:

• Really enjoyed Backstreets, sounded great. 
  • First live version of Gypsy Biker I've heard so that was cool, there was a few moments when Bruce's voice became distorted though which was a shame. 
  • Because the Night sounded great. Loved the intro and didn't hear any issues with Nils' guitar solo, it was clear enough. 
  • She's the One was class, loved the Not Fade Away intro and everything else sounded great. 
  • Livin' in the Future was enjoyable, I kept wondering why he didn't sing it on the recent OZ/NZ tour. 
  • Completely forgot Cover Me was on this show so it was a nice surprise. 

I'll give my thoughts on the rest of the show in due time.

Some more thoughts. 

On 26/04/2017 at 7:31 PM, Karembu said:

I agree about John Cooper but I actually thought Toby Scott's mixes were better.  Not perfect but better.  Where I think the earlier releases suffered was the general sound quality but I I think this has improved greatly with time.  

I just don't know why Altschiller seems to mix the guitars so low.  The clarity of individual instruments isn't too bad but I have tried this latest one on both my stereos and on my iPod with beats headphones and everything just appears to be fighting to be heard over the drums and especially the bass drum.

Beets put bass where it isn't. Know credibility talking about stereo sound when using these headphones 

1 hour ago, Frosty John said:

Beets put bass where it isn't. Know credibility talking about stereo sound when using these headphones 

If you have newer Beats. It sounds great. I have Solo 3 wireless, Spot on perfect, plus 40 hours of battery and seamless integration with iOS 10. 

1 hour ago, Frosty John said:

1977 next. 

Not likely. He did not have budget to record to multi track. I think the boots from 77 are the best we will ever get due to that limitation. But I'm with you, and would love some of those shows in flawless quality.

Archived