Greasy Lake Community

St. Louis 8/23/2008 is newest archive release!!!!

8 hours ago, Frosty John said:

1977 next. 

St. Louis '77 was my first show.  I was 17y/o at the time and one of the only guys at my school that had caught onto this Springsteen guy.  Actually had to give a buddy a ticket to the show in exchange for the ride.  (Parents were appropriately strict and wouldn't let me, being relatively new to the world of cars, cross the river to get to the Fox.)  The weather was unseasonably warm for February that day. We got there early, snuck in a half-pint of Johnny Walker Red and a couple of joints.  It took forever for Bruce to take the stage, and he played a ridiculously short set, only an hour and a half or so, but we were mesmerized.  On the way home, we drove in my friend's VW Beetle through big gloppy snowflakes in awe of what we had seen. 

I'm not into boots, but not too long ago I found an audio of that show on YouTube.   He opened with Night, and played most of the BTR stuff, slunk into the orchestra pit during Spirits.  Rendezvous was a rumored single-to-be, and we got it. The Animal's It's my Life cover stood out that night.  I remembered those things, and 40 years later, I remembered them again.  Even remembered walking home from school in 70 degree February weather, anticipating the night ahead.  

Half a life (or more) ago, those memories still stir.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beats can be bass heavy but I have the mixr version and I have to say the sound is generally fantastic with less bass than the regular versions.  Listening to Agora 78 by comparison is a revelation.  Plus I found the same issues with St Louis listening on both my stereos so I stand by my initial impressions.  Just compare The Rising and Long Walk Home against Buffalo and for me Buffalo is head and shoulders above this one.

On 4/20/2017 at 8:00 AM, Silvia said:

I was listening to the download today at work and the line "You just slipped somethin' into my palm" got me thinking. The indescribable something works much better as an actual object would, every listner can visualise individually what it is. I've always assumed that she has given him a crumpled piece of paper. Plesae, don't ask me why, this was just the first image of what has happened on that doorstep. Never, until today, have I been thinking about it.

What do you think was slipped into his palm?

I thought it was a notification that the singer's sibling had been killed in action. 

12 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

I thought it was a notification that the singer's sibling had been killed in action. 

Good thinking, it makes sense.

"Your" scene is what I'll be seeing from now on..

On 2017-4-26 at 0:55 AM, bobfan1976 said:

They definitely do need to edit these parts, or at least have them as a separate track as they do not bear repeated listening. Same with the songs that have the never ending band intros.

I know the idea is to present the complete show, and I suspect we will be in a distinct minority here, but I agree with you. These are elements of the shows that work as a visual / audio combo in the moment during the gig but just don't work in the audio only format. Editing would be welcome.

The other thing that could be edited are the extended between song breaks, especially between the end of set and start of encore. The 1975 download from memory has several minutes of audience noise and party poppers that could've been edited.

I'm not sure why they can't be a separate track. That way the show is still 'complete'. Rare track or not I'm more tempted to skip Rendezvous than listen to Bruce going 'Yeah' for three minutes. Life's too short!

1 hour ago, bobfan1976 said:

I'm not sure why they can't be a separate track. That way the show is still 'complete'. Rare track or not I'm more tempted to skip Rendezvous than listen to Bruce going 'Yeah' for three minutes. Life's too short!

If you use iTunes, you can set the song so that it starts playing at whatever point you like. There are also relatively easy-to-use programs (some even free) you can use to edit it yourself. But I agree- the easiest would be for them to make it a separate track.

5 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

The other thing that could be edited are the extended between song breaks, especially between the end of set and start of encore.

Agreed. I don't think anyone would complain about missing a few minutes of crowd noise.

Having said all that about the editing, the counter argument I guess is once they start where do they stop? Cut bits of songs because they drag audio only? Cut bits with bum notes? Cut bits that Bruce just feels ambivalent to? Maybe it's best just to leave it alone.

Splitting intros to songs also has a potential slippery slope..... I think of all the bootlegs where the Mona intro part and She's The One are (ridiculously IMO) split as two tracks. I even have one where the Detroit Medley is split into seperate tracks

1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

Having said all that about the editing, the counter argument I guess is once they start where do they stop? Cut bits of songs because they drag audio only? Cut bits with bum notes? Cut bits that Bruce just feels ambivalent to? Maybe it's best just to leave it alone.

Splitting intros to songs also has a potential slippery slope..... I think of all the bootlegs where the Mona intro part and She's The One are (ridiculously IMO) split as two tracks. I even have one where the Detroit Medley is split into seperate tracks

We've had enough editing on '75 - '85 ;)

On 5/3/2017 at 11:50 AM, Bosstralian said:

I know the idea is to present the complete show, and I suspect we will be in a distinct minority here, but I agree with you. These are elements of the shows that work as a visual / audio combo in the moment during the gig but just don't work in the audio only format. Editing would be welcome.

The other thing that could be edited are the extended between song breaks, especially between the end of set and start of encore. The 1975 download from memory has several minutes of audience noise and party poppers that could've been edited.

It's not too hard to make some of those edits yourself with some free software... 

On 5/3/2017 at 3:50 AM, Bosstralian said:

I'm in that minority. I could write an essay on this. There are so many things Bruce does live in the name of showmanship that work great at the time but become a bit ponderous on repeat listenings. Luckily I have the technology and inclination and have done many digital edits.

28 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

I'm in that minority. I could write an essay on this. There are so many things Bruce does live in the name of showmanship that work great at the time but become a bit ponderous on repeat listenings. Luckily I have the technology and inclination and have done many digital edits.

That seems like a great compromise. You all do edits and I just pretend I'm there for the full show!

A word of caution with editing yourself. Its perfectly fine to edit any of the lossless formats, but you most definitely do NOT want edit an mp3. Editing requires that the file be re-encoded. As mp3 is already compromised audio quality wise, re-encoding compounds that problem. 

To explain it simplistically, lets say an mp3 is 80% the quality of a "CD quality" original, re-encoding that mp3 will give you 80% of the quality of the mp3. So the final result will be about 65% of a cd quality version.

The iTunes method of "trimming" the playback is much safer because it doesn't affect the file itself, iTunes just plays the parts of the file you select and you can revert it back any time you like.

And whatever you do, always make sure you keep a backup of the original files somewhere.

14 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I agree, sooner or later it takes away the "live" aspect of a live concert recording.

17 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I don't think they should cut out parts during songs, but if Bruce is doing a spoken introduction, for instance, I think it's fine to do it as a separate track. If you play the show straight through, it doesn't matter. What bugs me a little is when they split the tracks so that the spoken intro from one song is tacked onto the end of the previous one. 

Splitting the DM is just silly- is that on an official download, or a bootleg?

3 hours ago, pssturges said:

A word of caution with editing yourself. Its perfectly fine to edit any of the lossless formats, but you most definitely do NOT want edit an mp3. Editing requires that the file be re-encoded. As mp3 is already compromised audio quality wise, re-encoding compounds that problem. 

This is true, and good advice, though I've edited mp3's, and I think they sound okay. I'm not playing it on high-end equipment, though- usually just an iPod, and I'm not much of an audiophile.

But keeping a backup copy is essential.

23 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I'd say a little common sense would go a long way. Nobody needs three minutes of applause before, or after, a track. Thanks for the suggestions about creating my own edits but, truthfully, I just don't have the time or inclination.

43 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

Thanks for the suggestions about creating my own edits but, truthfully, I just don't have the time or inclination.

It gets a little addictive. With several live albums I have the original version and then my edited version for listening.

And the possibilities are endless.. With the live downloads since 2014 I've made live versions of albums, my own 'dream setlists' etc etc... its a lot of fun when you do find the time... :)

@misty rain, the Detroit Medley split was on a bootleg. From memory, it was a BITUSA tour show which made it worse because there were extra songs in the medley by then. On top of that, it was an MP3 so when it played back on CD there were gaps with each split. I only played it once because it was effectively unlistenable in that state

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

On the third listen it's struck me that this Long Walk Home is the perfect representation of E Street live, or at least one them. 

The vocals, The Stevie, The Sax, the crowd participation, the guitar. Fantastic. 

Buffalo 2009 is better IMO. 

Archived