Greasy Lake Community

St. Louis 8/23/2008 is newest archive release!!!!

I finally found it in my mailbox! What a bit of extra sound quality can do is amazing. I find it much easier to see why this is generally counted as one of his best shows, stuff among legends.

I had also forgotten how much the Daring Young Man intro added to my the anticipation. I loved the irony of it as well, here they were, in their sixties, those daring young men still as if nothing changed in 30 odd years B)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/3/2017 at 5:50 AM, Bosstralian said:

The other thing that could be edited are the extended between song breaks, especially between the end of set and start of encore. The 1975 download from memory has several minutes of audience noise and party poppers that could've been edited.

Good editing tool I've found is called WavePad Masters Edition by NCH Software.  Costs about $30 bucks to download but you can edit tracks pretty extensively, including cutting out the long audience bits at the beginning and end of each track. 

Of course I create copy files of everything I edit, so I don't lose the original.

On 4/15/2017 at 9:45 AM, mad man with a box said:

We need more full band Long Walk Home!

Would be a better setlist fixture than Darlington County every night.

Long Walk Home is exceptionally well played on this one

On 5/4/2017 at 5:36 AM, Bosstralian said:

Having said all that about the editing, the counter argument I guess is once they start where do they stop? Cut bits of songs because they drag audio only? Cut bits with bum notes? Cut bits that Bruce just feels ambivalent to? Maybe it's best just to leave it alone.

Splitting intros to songs also has a potential slippery slope..... I think of all the bootlegs where the Mona intro part and She's The One are (ridiculously IMO) split as two tracks. I even have one where the Detroit Medley is split into seperate tracks

Yup ...boots i had from two of the 1980 Nassau shows have the medley split into 5 pieces !!! .... And even the official download from 1984 splits it into two pieces.

On 5/5/2017 at 2:26 AM, SteveJhb said:

It gets a little addictive. With several live albums I have the original version and then my edited version for listening.

And the possibilities are endless.. With the live downloads since 2014 I've made live versions of albums, my own 'dream setlists' etc etc... its a lot of fun when you do find the time... :)

Your full show Tempe 80 is my most often played Springsteen recording

Haven't read this whole thread since my first comments. But if any one wants to fell the pulse of the show, the best you can from a recording.

Go to Not Fade Away into She's the One. and I think you will get that felling.

Plus how many shows have you been to that had one of the following:

1. The stage slide

2. Multiple leg kicks

3. two false endings to Badlands

4. Nine song encore

5. carrying a Dancin girl off the stage

6. 4 great covers, 4 epic BTR classic's, and still keeping with the tour theme 6 Magic tunes.

If you had two you were lucky, we had all of them, thank you very much.  

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Plus how many shows have you been to that had one of the following:

1. The stage slide

2. Multiple leg kicks

3. two false endings to Badlands

4. Nine song encore

5. carrying a Dancin girl off the stage

6. 4 great covers, 4 epic BTR classic's, and still keeping with the tour theme 6 Magic tunes.

If you had two you were lucky, we had all of them, thank you very much.  

5 great covers IMHO ..... Strictly from a setlist on paper show ...one of my absolute favorites from the Reunion Era ,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

Listening through this for the first time, and like halfway through Badlands something about it really, really caught my ears, I think this is the first live version of Badlands I've really enjoyed. Never cared much about or for live Badlands but this version is very very good and I feel like I "get" it now. Or am closer to getting it.

37 minutes ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Listening through this for the first time, and like halfway through Badlands something about it really, really caught my ears, I think this is the first live version of Badlands I've really enjoyed. Never cared much about or for live Badlands but this version is very very good and I feel like I "get" it now. Or am closer to getting it.

I'm quoting you for more about carrying on the same theme. I believe this would have been a better DVD than a download.

The "show" was more than the recording "download" will ever be. See my post a couple above.

On 13.5.2017 at 3:22 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The version of Badlands from this show is in my top 2. Tremendous. 

That version is actually in my Top 1.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

So you dare to say something was not better in 1978???:P

:D:D:D:D:D

54 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

It probably would be, yet this performance below is very important to me. The first song I ever heard live, the first time he spoke to me, the first time (to my knowledge) he said the name of my hometown.

And in better quality, sadly though without the opening speech and opening of the song

Unfortunately, I am one of those "better in 78" sorts and I don't think the versions from the Darkness and River tours have ever been topped where Badlands is concerned but having mentioned sound quality in the negative sense on the Wembley DVD thread, it only seems fair to recall just how great I thought the sound was at Sunderland that night.  The clarity when they roared out with Badlands stands in stark contrast to the muddy sound at Wembley.

Bloody good show too (Point Blank!!!).

1 hour ago, Karembu said:

Unfortunately, I am one of those "better in 78" sorts and I don't think the versions from the Darkness and River tours have ever been topped where Badlands is concerned

Why 'unfortunately'? Especially as it is the truth:P (OK, that is of course subjective, personal etc.).

20 hours ago, Lampi said:

Why 'unfortunately'? Especially as it is the truth:P (OK, that is of course subjective, personal etc.).

He he. Actually, I think that all Darkness tracks played on The River tour were superior to when they were played in' 78 (but the Candy's Room from Tempe sounds oddly off). The Prove intro was better in '78, though... :P

Archived