Greasy Lake Community

St. Louis 8/23/2008 is newest archive release!!!!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, unclejosh said:

I read the next archive release is either 1 or 2 Tom Joad shows from NJ.  Hope not but with my luck probably will be.

I think the series should represent all of the tours. I'm happy to get some Joad shows.

I'm waiting for the thread when the first of the 92/93 shows is released. That should stir some disappointment.

4 hours ago, unclejosh said:

I read the next archive release is either 1 or 2 Tom Joad shows from NJ.  Hope not but with my luck probably will be.

I don't remember a rumour being correct so far.

7 hours ago, Karembu said:

Yeah, I was trying to be diplomatic as I am new around here.  The only thing that wasn't better in 1978?  Lost in the Flood becaue it was played only once, solo on piano :) 

Lost In The Flood was played 3 times in 1978.

But only one performance, from Detroit, was recorded; for many years that was the only known performance after 1975. The Blinded By The Light book also mentions it as the last performance ever [at that moment, in 1985] and the only performance after 1975.

OK. So what happened? I did read Greasy Lake on my phone on the way home from work a few hours ago, I did read your post which I quote in this post, and first thing I think is: 'Lost In The Flood was not played once, but 3 times in 1978'.

My second thought, however, was that it is really very, very unhealthy to know these things.:ph34r:

(But not as unhealthy as a visit to the Fight Club!:lol:)

Ha ha.  Unhealthy maybe, but awesome nonetheless.  I blame Winterland Night where it was a bonus track and reviews of that release for my confusion!  Still reckon it was better post reunion though; the Buffalo version from 2009 is the daddy of them all for me.  I jumped for joy when they released that show.

To answer Jerseyfonia's point, I would love an "other band" show.  An official release of Sheffield Night would be wonderful but to be honest would just be great to get official versions of tracks like Souls of the Departed, the live mix of 57 Channels, Who'll stop the rain with the gospel backing vocals and so many more.  Or a 92 show might give us Local Hero; still sore that was missed off the MTV disc and only on the DVD.

Suspect I am as in the minority there as I was with my indifference at the Helsinki and St Louis releases.  Still holding out for official Passaic Night most of all though :) 

5 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I don't remember a rumour being correct so far.

Yeah seems that way.  Supposedly this was direct from Bruce's mouth but who knows. Even if he did say it doesn't mean it would happen.

5 hours ago, bsfan50 said:

Where did you read this?

On another music site from someone who posted it and seems to have some interaction with Bruce Inc.  They said they spoke directly with Bruce and that is what he said.  Who knows....

5 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I think the series should represent all of the tours. I'm happy to get some Joad shows.

I'm waiting for the thread when the first of the 92/93 shows is released. That should stir some disappointment.

I would love a 92/93 show.  I just am not a fan of solo or acoustic Bruce. I like rock Bruce, not folk Bruce but I know a lot of people like them and am glad they will enjoy Joad shows if and when they come out.  Just not for me.

21 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

Yeah seems that way.  Supposedly this was direct from Bruce's mouth but who knows. Even if he did say it doesn't mean it would happen.

I imagine Bruce works this Archive Series like he does his setlists. He'll wake up one day and say, "I fancy listening to this", and that's how we'll get whatever we get. 

I don't have any Joad bootlegs and only the Lost TV Show on a poor quality DVD from 92/93. So I would welcome one or both of these as something new and different personally.

13 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I imagine Bruce works this Archive Series like he does his setlists. He'll wake up one day and say, "I fancy listening to this", and that's how we'll get whatever we get. 

Probably a great amount of truth to this.

Joad shows are easy to mix. I suspect. It would be interesting to hear those Jersey shows in better quality. I have gotten rid of most of my old boot collection. But those shows were boomy as hell.  The Other Band tour is another story. I have always felt that the tour was ill conceived affair in many respects. I know there were good shows in Europe in 93,but he won't release one of those. I suspect a show more representative of the theme of the tour. But in the end I always enjoy what's released. I really like Helsinki a hell of allot more then I thought when it was released.

14 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Rumours were months ago that a full show Tempe was imminent but it didn't happen. People love rumours, the more there are the more likely one will happen. 

Ok some 'rumours'  then of shows that will 'maybe' be released::)

All 10 1975 Bottom Line shows.

Nassau Coliseum 3 June 1978 (a personal favourite).

Cleveland 31.12.1978 and 1.1.1979.

Memphis 29 April 1976 (the non-meeting with Elvis).

Notre Dame University 1976, 1978 and 1981.

Boston 25.3.1977 or another 1977 show.

Some 1974 shows.

Both Alpine Valley 1984 shows (July 12 and July 13, 1984).

You got that, Bruce?:P

57 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Ok some 'rumours'  then of shows that will 'maybe' be released:

All 10 1975 Bottom Line shows.

Nassau Coliseum 3 June 1978 (a personal favourite).

Cleveland 31.12.1978 and 1.1.1979.

Memphis 29 April 1976 (the non-meeting with Elvis)

Notre Dame University 1976, 1978 and 1981.

Boston 25.3.1977 or another 1977 show.

Some 1974 shows.

Both Alpine Valley 1984 shows (July 12 and July 13, 1984).

You got that, Bruce?

Can we add Sunderland 2012 just in case he's actually lurking?!

15 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Rumours were months ago that a full show Tempe was imminent but it didn't happen. People love rumours, the more there are the more likely one will happen. 

Full Tempe should've been the Record Store day vinyl release. And we should all now be salivating over the Amazon ad for the general release of said Tempe vinyl along with Tempe CD and Tempe on iTunes etc.

Oh, well...

I just hope the next release isn't a Seeger Show. I'd see it as a waste when there's so many great shows from the 70s, 80s, (to an extent) the 90s and early/late 00s unreleased. And I don't think it would sell well either, which is something we kinda need to consider when predicting and hearing rumours. 

I think when the Archive is a lot bulkier and a lot of the renowned shows have been released it'll be fine to release a popular Seeger show, but not now. 

As far as the old rumours go I remember when Bruce told somebody at the Waterstones meet and greet that they were working on some Reunion tour shows, and that was a while ago and there's been no news so I'm going to come to the conclusion that sooner or later we're getting the 10 night MSG stand. And we'll be able to listen to Blood Brothers, Code of Silence, Further On (Up the Road), The E Street Shuffle, Another Thin Line and The Promise until our hearts are content. 

As far a show I'd like to see, just please give me one without Fire, Spirit in the Night, a full band For You, Sherry Darling and one with Landau playing guitar or one with PRETTY FLAMINGO. - Oh look there I go again.

Archived