Sign in to follow this  
Tom-Joad

Gave it a name

9 hours ago, EvanMorris said:

While this is still in the spotlight: does anyone have any lowdown info on the provenance of this track? I've checked Brucebase and it just says "Tracks 1998" (and obviously, sadly, zero live performances). Was this song in fact recorded for Tracks? When was it written? Was it ever intended to be on an album? Is is a standalone moment, unconnected to anything else? What's the story?

EDIT: Never mind, found the answer by poking around even more into the Recording Sessions area of Brucebase. Here's the answer:

GAVE IT A NAME 2:47 TRACKS

Note: Recorded at Thrill Hill East (Bruce’s NJ home studio) on August 24, 1998. Produced by Springsteen and Chuck Plotkin. Bruce handles vocals all instruments except for keyboards (Roy Bittan). "Gave It A Name" was initially recorded between December 1990 and January 1991, but Bruce was unable to locate the master tapes while working on the Tracks box set so the decision was made to re-record the song. Springsteen told Melinda Newman in an interview with Billboard published in November 1998, "What happened is I cut the original at the time I cut these other songs [Bruce is referring to songs like "Over The Rise", "When The Lights Go Out", "Loose Change" etc, which were all recorded around the December 1990-January 1991 period], but we couldn't find the master tape of it, and I really liked the song. So Roy [Bittan] came out, and we re-cut it in August."

That would have been a great record..

My impression is that it was recorded for Tracks, but might have been written earlier.  It fits the theme of the Tunnel of Love / Human Touch / Lucky Town era of Bruce's songwriting.

23 hours ago, crdowning said:

My impression is that it was recorded for Tracks, but might have been written earlier.  It fits the theme of the Tunnel of Love / Human Touch / Lucky Town era of Bruce's songwriting.

Yes, on subsequent investigation, turns out it was a 1990-era tune. Re-recorded for Tracks because the tapes were lost.