Greasy Lake Community

Obie had passed away.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's part of an article I found from the Washington Post in 1981 that features Obie.

Brrooooooooooce!!!

By Richard Harrington August 6, 1981

Obie Bziebzic's been a fan since she was 14 and Bruce Springsteen was earning his Master's degree playing the old rock masters in Jersey bar bands. In a way, she and Bruce grew up and out together, so it's fitting that Obie emulates her Boss' aura of mystery. She even refuses to grant interviews. Now in her late 20s, the woman everybody knows simply as Obie is the ultimate Springsteen fan, living the ultimate Springsteen fantasy as a member of the family.

It's written in Springsteen's performance contract that two "front row center" tickets must be reserved at every show for Obie's pleasure. At the Cpaital Centre on Tuesday night, a bandana-clad Obie came out to cliam her seat five minutes before showtime. Her army surplus jacket was bedecked with Springsteen buttons and "The Pass" that parts the waters between common fandom and family. At intermission, Obie hustled backstage, just like the band. When she misses a show -- which is not often -- the Springsteen camp gives the seat to a pair of fans in the seats farthest away from the stage.

In the mass of true believers, Obie may well be the first true Bruce Springsteen fan. From the very beginning, her faith has been constant. Obie's also the head of the Bruce Springsteen Fan Club and handles all its correspondence. "I do everything out of love," is all she will say. Here are some of the things Obie does for love (and the regular paycheck that Springsteen insisted she start accepting several years ago):

She cooks Bruce's meals a lot when the band is on the road.

She takes care of Bruce's house (she's listed in the credits on "The River" with the notation "Homework").

She's a bit of the earth mother, the one whom the other hard-core fans (who follow Springsteen all over the country) gather around for special bits of news. If Rona Barrett were a rock 'n' roll gossip, she'd kill for Obie.

"Without her, Bruce'd be nothing," laughs one of Obie's friends, another hard-core Springsteen fan. She pulls out a party invitation from Obie that's signed "the girl who washes Bruce's underwear." The friend leans forward and whispers, "of course, everyone knows he only wears underwear when he goes to the doctor or when he's trying on pants in a store." Put that one in your trivia files, fans.

The Washington Post got her last name wrong - it was Dziedzic.

This is from a NY Times' review of the documentary "Promise - Making of Darkness.."

"In the background of one shot Mr. Zimny identifies the fan Obie Dziedzic, who advised his hero to record the version of “Racing in the Street” that included a verse about a girl he met — thereby helping preserve some of Mr. Springsteen’s most romantic lyrics. (“Tonight my baby and me we’re gonna ride to the sea/and wash these sins off our hands.”)"

Peace to her friends and family. 

1 minute ago, JoanFontaine said:

The Washington Post got her last name wrong - it was Dziedzic.

Yea, there are a few other misspellings in that article.  Back in the days before spell check.

54 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Wasn't she more than a fan, I thought they were good friends as well? Sad news for those close to her.

Thought she cooked for him also sad news RIP Obie

Very sad news indeed

But Rock and roll heaven just got the ultimate fan 

Say hello to Clarence and Danny Obie

12 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I thought I'd share this too, since it's such a lovely photo. 

God, that photo made me cry. 

She saw what we all see, first. A little part of us is missing now. 

19 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

RIP. Never heard of her.

:D I used to think she was a poster on one of the message boards. Took me a while to figure out she was a real person and someone posting just took her name. 

Loving these photos, most of which I've never seen before.

Bruce even spoke about her briefly in the book.

RIP Obie.

Archived