Paolo's Circus Story

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

I tried making this thread on Saturday but with the forum being broke it messed up and I couldn't be bothered to repost at the time, so let's see how this genuine quarter to 3 post goes. 

Why did Bruce not mix up the set list for the second full album River show in LA last March? Why didn't he play the solo piano Independence Day? Rockabilly You Can Look? The Live in NYC River? The 'daddy' version of Point Blank? Alt. Stolen Car? Added verse of The Price You Pay etc.?

Also, the Live in NYC CD version of Tenth Ave. has differences to the DVD, I've always thought it was just an edit job, but now I'm thinking they're different versions completely from different MSG shows. What's the deal there, Greasy Lake? 

Discuss and post other random Springsteen related thoughts. 

• Like 2

Why the hell was Preacher's Daughter never released?!

• Like 5

Sorry, Paolo but if I put down my thoughts of Bruce I think I would be banned from here but:D really Bruce is the greatest Rock singer that is and he makes me very happy whenever I hear or see him.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

8 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I tried making this thread on Saturday but with the forum being broke it messed up and I couldn't be bothered to repost at the time, so let's see how this genuine quarter to 3 post goes. 

Why did Bruce not mix up the set list for the second full album River show in LA last March? Why didn't he play the solo piano Independence Day? Rockabilly You Can Look? The Live in NYC River? The 'daddy' version of Point Blank? Alt. Stolen Car? Added verse of The Price You Pay etc.?

Also, the Live in NYC CD version of Tenth Ave. has differences to the DVD, I've always thought it was just an edit job, but now I'm thinking they're different versions completely from different MSG shows. What's the deal there, Greasy Lake? 

Discuss and post other random Springsteen related thoughts. 

That's interesting about Tenth Ave from LINYC. I've never analysed the CD v DVD closely enough to know if they are actually different performances.... I always just assumed the CD was an edit of the same DVD performance

• Like 1

What inspired Bruce to add a guitar intro to the live Prove It All Night  especially one that changed from night to night?

Neil Young's live free form soloing on Like A Hurricane during 76-77?

• Like 1

I have often thought why does  Bruce shortchange himself he has such a great deal of fantastic songs under his belt and yet we only hear a limited amount live and I have said before you can only feel a song by hearing it performed live.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

That's interesting about Tenth Ave from LINYC. I've never analysed the CD v DVD closely enough to know if they are actually different performances.... I always just assumed the CD was an edit of the same DVD performance

Tenth Avenue on Live in NYC Cd is the versions from 29.6.2000 and 1.7.2000 mixed up in 3: first part and last part from 1.7.2000 and middle of the song from 29.6.2000 (OR first and last part from 29.6.2000 and middle from 1.7.2000).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

A random intermittent thought that I've had on the previous three tours(including HH tour) is why does he love playing Darlington County and Working on the Highway so much?!Okay they're not played as much as DITD for example but I've always felt he plays these two far too much,for my liking anyway.Like I don't feel that they are either a crowd favourite nor a die-hard favourite...Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way?!

I can only imagine he likes those two songs rather better than most of us do! 

I would actually be very interested in hearing how he constructs a set list. This would, for me, be a more interesting interview than trotting out all the usual stuff, e.g. in the Tom Hanks interview, enjoyable as that was, I didn't learn anything new.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

I would actually be very interested in hearing how he constructs a set list. This would, for me, be a more interesting interview than trotting out all the usual stuff, e.g. in the Tom Hanks interview, enjoyable as that was, I didn't learn anything new.

I guess so!I always like to think he draws up the setlists like 30/60 minutes before each concert,just to keep the ESB on their toes!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

A random intermittent thought that I've had on the previous three tours(including HH tour) is why does he love playing Darlington County and Working on the Highway so much?!Okay they're not played as much as DITD for example but I've always felt he plays these two far too much,for my liking anyway.Like I don't feel that they are either a crowd favourite nor a die-hard favourite...Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way?!

Yeah I'd agree - I enjoy Working on the Highway alot more than Darlington County

He could play something from Tunnel Of Love or Magic there instead - there's always more than enough of Born in the USA

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, mad man with a box said:

Yeah I'd agree - I enjoy Working on the Highway alot more than Darlington County

He could play something from Tunnel Of Love or Magic there instead

or Double Shot Of My Baby's Love! :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Darlington County and Working on the Highway were on BITUSA, his most popular album to the casual fan, and are upbeat and that gets the crowd on their feet and let's them have a good time.

Remember, not everyone is listening to every single show and getting sick of them being played every other show, 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Tenth Avenue on Live in NYC Cd is the versions from 29.6.2000 and 1.7.2000 mixed up in 3: first part and last part from 1.7.2000 and middle of the song from 29.6.2000 (OR first and last part from 29.6.2000 and middle from 1.7.2000).

Thanks for the information!! 

Shame on them for not including, "Pizza for everybody!" :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tie that bind said:

Sorry, Paolo but if I put down my thoughts of Bruce I think I would be banned from here but:D really Bruce is the greatest Rock singer that is and he makes me very happy whenever I hear or see him.

In the post on Saturday that got messed up I did write at the end, "what other random Springsteen thoughts have you guys got? (Not those kind of thoughts, ladies!)" :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lampi said:

Interesting.  What about the DVD version?

Also, I've noticed on E Street Radio, they've been playing Blood Brothers from 7/1/2000.  The tag says it's from LINYC.  Usually it says the date if it's not officially released.  I remember a clip being in the DVD during the Costas interview, but don't recall it being officially released.

5 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

thats my problem with the book im still only half way through and am struggling with it, and have learnt virtually nothing new at all, maybe i have read to many bruce books i dont know, but trotting out the usual stuff sums it up pretty well for me, so far.

35 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

thats my problem with the book im still only half way through and am struggling with it, and have learnt virtually nothing new at all, maybe i have read to many bruce books i dont know, but trotting out the usual stuff sums it up pretty well for me, so far.

I didn't care much for the new facts the book brought us, I was drawn by the way he reflects on his life and himself. Part show, part sobering. The level of depression he deals with was probably the most revealing but the way he speaks about it even more moving. To me, the human aspect is the draw.

• Like 4

The Book is class for references like Lonnie Donnegan and Tex and Marion Vinyard. 

Also for stories about Baldy Hushpuppies and for further confirmation that Vini 'Mad Dog' Lopez is one of the coolest people on the planet. 

Might even finish it one day...

• Like 2

Why do I, a heterosexual man, find Bruce Springsteen so damned handsome?

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Why do I, a heterosexual man, find Bruce Springsteen so damned handsome?

Simple because he is!:P but at the end of the day, it`s who we are inside that counts

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lampi said:

I discovered now this is not exactly right, as Tenth Avenue was not split in 3 but in 2 parts. The first part is from 1.7.2000 and the second part is from 29.6.2000.

The article which is my source says all other songs on the Live in NYC cd are from 1.7.2000, except four songs which are from 29.6.2000: Don't Look Back and Jungleland (which both were not played at 1.7.2000), Badlands and Youngstown.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tie that bind said:

Simple because he is!:P but at the end of the day, it`s who we are inside that counts

But I don't find other handsome men to be handsome. George Clooney? Pass. Sean Connery? Meh. Pierce Brosnan, Will Smith, Howard Stern? Nope.

Just Bruce Springsteen. The handsome devil.

• Like 2

With all the shows I've over the last nine years, I can't get I'm Going Down?

I've always wondered if that line in Brothers Under The Bridges, where he says 'neath the...'neath the trestles was intentional or if he came in too quick on that line.