Greasy Lake Community

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

The newest entry into the Hall of ESSENCE is the ongoing piano in Tenth Ave. after the song kicks in. Evident here from 0:38 - 0:51.

It joins fellows Hall of ESSENCE inductees:

Stayed tuned for more entries into the Hall of ESSENCE. Believe me, they're comin'. 

• Like 3

Geez, @Paolo's Circus Story, Hall of ESSENCE could be opened up as a... poll, to gather more suggestions ;)

I would nominate the glock in BTR, that kicks in ay 0:28 and again all over the place - esp. 3:19... but then if you listen, the glock is all through BTR, and yet almost forgotten.  Go ahead.  Take a listen.  Glock City.  To the point where perhaps it should have been called Born To Run (Glock City)...   in fact, it's soooo ESSENCE, people have written whole Glock addenda to BTR: 

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2010/10/born-to-run-a-springsteen-classic-now-with-even-more-glockenspiel/64205/

http://www.coryarcangel.com/things-i-made/category/the-bruce-springsteen-born-to-run-glockenspiel-addendum/   

Enough silliness.

Happy Easter, Lakers!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jukebox said:

Geez, @Paolo's Circus Story, Hall of ESSENCE could be opened up as a... poll, to gather more suggestions ;)

I would nominate the glock in BTR, that kicks in ay 0:28 and again all over the place - esp. 3:19... but then if you listen, the glock is all through BTR, and yet almost forgotten.  Go ahead.  Take a listen.  Glock City.  To the point where perhaps it should have been called Born To Run (Glock City)...   in fact, it's soooo ESSENCE, people have written whole Glock addenda to BTR: 

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2010/10/born-to-run-a-springsteen-classic-now-with-even-more-glockenspiel/64205/

http://www.coryarcangel.com/things-i-made/category/the-bruce-springsteen-born-to-run-glockenspiel-addendum/   

Enough silliness.

Happy Easter, Lakers!

I'm happy to keep the HoE (well I'm gonna have to sort that out) purely the way it is at the moment. I'm not ready for polls to possibly tarnish it with additions that while loved, do not really qualify as ESSENCE. 

For example, I expect C's solo would do very well here and possibly win, but it's not something I want in the Hall, or at least yet. It's too obvious, whereas nuances and intricacies are what I'm looking for.  

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 12:41 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The newest entry into the Hall of ESSENCE is the ongoing piano in Tenth Ave. after the song kicks in. Evident here from 0:38 - 0:51.

Stayed tuned for more entries into the Hall of ESSENCE. Believe me, they're comin'. 

My nomination for next entry is the guitars in the opening few seconds of I'm Goin Down

• Like 1

On 31/03/2018 at 12:41 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

What we know for sure though is that today's entry into the Hall of ESSENCE is something that should've been in a looooonnngggg time ago. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

What we know for sure though is that today's entry into the Hall of ESSENCE is something that should've been in a looooonnngggg time ago. 

Epic, the video says it's from 2014 though?

@AMIW, @Wasted in the heat, @cobalt, @BruceHistory, I think I got all you Atlanta guys. Was working though the Night tonight. ESR was playing the April 2014 show from Atlanta. The music/show sounded wonderful. But the crowd, you guys were kicking it. Damn I wish I was there with you guys.

• Like 1

I’m staying at my sister’s, taking care of her kids, aged 14 and 8. The 8 year old is up at the crack of dawn, but the teenager has the sleep requirements of a, well, teenager. 

He was still in bed, a half hour after his alarm had gone off, and fifteen minutes after his sister had banged on his door. I cued up BitUSA on my iPad and stood outside his door. It was unsurprisingly effective.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

I’m staying at my sister’s, taking care of her kids, aged 14 and 8. The 8 year old is up at the crack of dawn, but the teenager has the sleep requirements of a, well, teenager. 

He was still in bed, a half hour after his alarm had gone off, and fifteen minutes after his sister had banged on his door. I cued up BitUSA on my iPad and stood outside his door. It was unsurprisingly effective.

This is such an amazing idea. I'm doing it tomorrow!

• Like 2

For the last few months, I have been sorting through boxes I haven`t opened for a long time, it`s surprising what you have forgotten you've got. I have just come across a book  The Land of Hope and Dream from 2009, unfortunately, I can`t read any of the text now but I`m sure some of our Laker friends contributed to it, some very nice pictures in there, I can remember some of the faces in there, anyone else got it ?

18 hours ago, tie that bind said:

For the last few months, I have been sorting through boxes I haven`t opened for a long time, it`s surprising what you have forgotten you've got. I have just come across a book  The Land of Hope and Dream from 2009, unfortunately, I can`t read any of the text now but I`m sure some of our Laker friends contributed to it, some very nice pictures in there, I can remember some of the faces in there, anyone else got it ?

Can you bring it tomorrow? We can have a look at it on the train. 

• Like 3