Paolo's Circus Story

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

I finally watched The Star is Born yesterday. Liked it, but it is not why this post is here.

The first scene, when Bradley is vigorously playing his guitar on stage...

My immediate thought was Bruce, holding his electric, and counting in. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 4:46 AM, berlintramp said:

Great joy.

image.png.d72381594382e679edd5b05b4bbe88fb.png

This came today, the next days will be booked for reading it.

Luckily, it didn't take as long as indicated at first when I ordered it, it was scheduled to arrive and then canceled because it hadn't been published in time. They said it might be weeks but it was only a few more days!!!

Mine shipped today from Illinois. I hope to have it in California soon.

Today on E-Street they were playing 28/3/16 River tour show, I believe this is the one that was rescheduled because snow in NYC earlier. 

But can you believe it been 3 years already? The opening five songs are still killers. 

Yesterday at church we had a large funeral, they always make me think of which Bruce songs I want at mine, but that's another story! Later in the evening I went back down to finish the tidying up on my own and, as usual when I am there alone, I took some Bruce down to play. This time I chose Disc 2 from SOB and I have to say it felt quite weird being in the church hearing him recite the Lord's Prayer, I liked it but just felt strange somehow. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

Yesterday at church we had a large funeral, they always make me think of which Bruce songs I want at mine, but that's another story! Later in the evening I went back down to finish the tidying up on my own and, as usual when I am there alone, I took some Bruce down to play. This time I chose Disc 2 from SOB and I have to say it felt quite weird being in the church hearing him recite the Lord's Prayer, I liked it but just felt strange somehow. 

I can see that.  I think maybe because we’re only used to clergy leading the Lord’s Prayer in church, not from Mr. Hard to Be a Saint in the City??  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I can see that.  I think maybe because we’re only used to clergy leading the Lord’s Prayer in church, not from Mr. Hard to Be a Saint in the City??  

Just be grateful it was the Lord's Prayer into BTR, not Reno.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, jukebox said:

Just be grateful it was the Lord's Prayer into BTR, not Reno.

:blink:

35 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Tracks disc 2 is the greatest of all time. 

It's funny, I've always been disappointed with it. Even more so with the release of The River box.... I prefer many of those songs (MMITC, White Town, Man Who Got Away, Time That Never etc) to the outtakes that were included in Tracks. The versions of Loose Ends and Be True in the box set are better than those on Tracks too for mine.

I much prefer the BITUSA sessions stuff... the first two thirds of Disc 3 is tremendous 

• Like 1

We are having our house painted at the moment. I heard the decorator say to Mr J 'I watched that Springsteen show on Netflix'. 'Careful what you say' I shout from upstairs! Anyway, he says he thought it was absolutely brilliant, he was transfixed by the performance and the story. This from a guy in his mid 30's, who has never seen Bruce play live and doesn't really know his music beyond the obvious ones.

Just thought I would share this.:wub:

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

19 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

Would I be pushing my luck if I play him 'Hello Sunshine'...

I wouldn't play him the song, but I would mention the upcoming album. In a by the way fashion..;)

• Like 2

On May 1st, one of our TV-stations, known for sedate cultural topics, shows concerts of top rock stars from all over the world. While I didn't care for most of it, there was the 1980 River Tour smack in the middle, the Tempe concert they unearthed for the box set. I have it on DVD, but I watched it on TV anyway, wondering what people nowadays are making of the young Springsteen, passionate and almost manic in his movements, totally different from all those styled acts with their sophisticated light shows and choreographed within an inch of their lives!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, berlintramp said:

On May 1st, one of our TV-stations, known for sedate cultural topics, shows concerts of top rock stars from all over the world. While I didn't care for most of it, there was the 1980 River Tour smack in the middle, the Tempe concert they unearthed for the box set. I have it on DVD, but I watched it on TV anyway, wondering what people nowadays are making of the young Springsteen, passionate and almost manic in his movements, totally different from all those styled acts with their sophisticated light shows and choreographed within an inch of their lives!

The Bruce I fell in love with...

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I would like to know if others think I made the right call. 

Listening to ESR last night on the way home, NYCS came on, don't care for that tune much at all. So I switched to LSUG. and got the following three tunes. I know personally I made the right move what about the rest of you. This all happened in the same time frame. 

1. Catholic Girls - Frank Zappa

2. Magic Bus - The Who

3. Death or Glory - The Clash. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Listening to ESR last night on the way home, NYCS came on, don't care for that tune much at all. So I switched to LSUG. and got the following three tunes. I know personally I made the right move what about the rest of you. This all happened in the same time frame. 

2. Magic Bus - The Who

I personally would’ve stayed with NYCS, but glad you made the right call for you!  Good stuff above. 

Earlier today I did the same with Kitty (sorry Daisey and other Kitty lovers...).  

Switched over to LSUG, then the Beatles channel, then classic vinyl, then 6 on 60s. 5 songs later...(:lol:) time to go back to ESR when I was rewarded with Incident on 57th from one of the ‘78 Passaic shows.  

• Like 1

To listen to other music is good and healty.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I dying her @Scott Peterson, are you laughing at me or with me! It's good either way. 

The idea of segueing from an aborted "New York City Serenade" to "Catholic Girls" is just...glorious. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this is ignorance or trolling.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Is this the thread where I started and didn't finish a ranking of songs he didn't do live? And of closing tracks? I gotta finish those some day

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, Jimmy James said:

2. Magic Bus - The Who

I love "Catholic Girls"- Joe's Garage is great!

BTW, I see you won a little trophy. That's cute! :P

4155.jpg?format=2500w

(Just kidding! ;) Congrats!)

• Haha 1