Greasy Lake Community

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

And why was the fantastic cover of Run Through The Jungle performed only 3 times?

3 performances on the 1981 European Tour, with only 10 days between the first and the last performance, that was it.

• Like 1

I've ranted about this several times, but it continues to frustrate me. 

The 1988 East Berlin show is one of the most important and influential in Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band's history. It's magic with an amazing setlist and thankfully there's good quality footage of a fair bit of the concert. 

I use that latter part of the sentence loosely, because, as many of you know, the footage comes from both the TV airing of the show and the DVD that was released as a result. But my God, whoever was working the camera and whoever had say on what to film need, and have needed for 29 years, a clip. 

What good is this? I understand that the crowd there were a big deal, but I both can't see the crowd and this shot has been used countless times during the broadcast. It's pointless, why was what was going on on-stage not shown? Christ. (For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_glvHqHtMGA)5913859dc0a28_ScreenShot2017-05-10at22_25_04.thumb.png.126540f79380f496677aa7ef5b1be0a6.png

And another thing, I doubt many will disagree that Bruce's vocals in 1988 were outstanding, he was in the midst of his vocal peak. He didn't play The River often during the ToL tour shows, so there's both very little evidence of his vocals on this song, and good quality footage of him performing this song from that era. The East Berlin version is a great performance, with a great crowd response, but I don't want to watch the crowd while Bruce is singing, if I wanted that I'd listen to the song and go to the town or something. In all fairness to the lad at 3:06, I bet he's canny, he's a Bruce fan which is cool, but I don't want to look at him for nearly 20 seconds. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHYDPTW9Jk)

Maybe all of this is just a rant in the hopes of an archive release, but regardless, it's an amazing moment of Bruce's career that hasn't been used to its full potential. It's very frustrating.

If they wanted to highlight the crowd loads, there'd have been nothing wrong with doing this a few times.

I hope the forum doesn't start breaking again because I've posted a gif.

• Like 2

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Randomly watching this video and he mentions Bruce and Jungleland!Thought you guys would find it funny :)

This deserves its own thread. I love Louis, he's funny as fuck, but more than that, he's hit on a profound observation here, made it funny, and used Bruce to illustrate it.

Berlin show: Paolo, as far I know, the number of songs or the time for the transmission was limited by Bruce's crew. The DDR crew switched therefore to the public shots so often and also to the sound system on the cameras.

I remember at the time I tried to get a copy on VHS from someone who himself had an ad in Backstreets magazine. Never got an answer

Thanks God we have the internet now...

• Like 3

The Berlin Show

To properly comprehend the footage of the concert you have to take in consideration that it was filmed by the DDR crew. They were used to film the parades where people stood by the road and waved to the politicians. Normally the role of TV was to spread the propaganda, not for the audience to enjoy the product. Their approach was totally different from what we are used to these days...

But it was (looking from my personal perspective, with the democratic changes that followed in Eastern Europe)  the most important Bruce concert in Europe. So far.

There's a book about the concert, I haven't read it yet, perhaps any of you have and know if it's any good..

33d83bcddcc9365f41108c033bbe6a46.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

@the calvary I love Louis too!Yes absolutely you hit the nail on the head.I like Conan too I think he did a good howling Bruce impression haha

I felt like Conan went into Something In The Night into at one point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvia said:

The Berlin Show

To properly comprehend the footage of the concert you have to take in consideration that it was filmed by the DDR crew. They were used to film the parades where people stood by the road and waved to the politicians. Normally the role of TV was to spread the propaganda, not for the audience to enjoy the product. Their approach was totally different from what we are used to these days...

But it was (looking from my personal perspective, with the democratic changes that followed in Eastern Europe)  the most important Bruce concert in Europe. So far.

There's a book about the concert, I haven't read it yet, perhaps any of you have and know if it's any good..

33d83bcddcc9365f41108c033bbe6a46.jpg

Yes, Bruce was working under considerable restraints and had no authority over the way the concert was filmed.The East Germans were floored themselves by the fact that not only the well-behaved, indoctrinated members of the FDJ youth organisation were there, but thousands more who simply tore down the fences and flooded the place. Bruce had to tread very carfully because the authorities could have broken off the performance at any time. That's why he changed the wording of his statement, too.

The book is ok and gives you some interesting insights, even if it does make too much of the event altogether. Hindsight is a fine thing...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I haven't felt this much anxiety since I noticed I was making a mistake in my A-Level History exam. 

Oh I'd love to know what mistake that was 

16 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

Oh I'd love to know what mistake that was 

If I remember rightly, because I've kinda tried to block it out of my brain, or I've drank too much in the last 2 years since, we had to answer like 2 out of 4 questions divided into 2 sections, so it was 1a or 1b, 2a or 2b, and we had an hour and a half or something to do the exam - it was a classic '45 minutes on each, a mark a minute' scenario, you know?

So I answered the first and about 15 minutes into writing the second I noticed that I was kinda answering 1b, not 2a or 2b, so after 30 seconds of panicking and feeling sorry for myself, I was like, "oh shit" because I had half an hour to scrap that bollocks and write a class answer. 

I didn't fail that exam, but my grade wasn't that great. 

Thatcher's Britain, eh? And that phrase is relevant in two ways here because it was an exam on Thatcher's Britain! 

8 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

If I remember rightly, because I've kinda tried to block it out of my brain, or I've drank too much in the last 2 years since, we had to answer like 2 out of 4 questions divided into 2 sections, so it was 1a or 1b, 2a or 2b, and we had an hour and a half or something to do the exam - it was a classic '45 minutes on each, a mark a minute' scenario, you know?

So I answered the first and about 15 minutes into writing the second I noticed that I was kinda answering 1b, not 2a or 2b, so after 30 seconds of panicking and feeling sorry for myself, I was like, "oh shit" because I had half an hour to scrap that bollocks and write a class answer. 

I didn't fail that exam, but my grade wasn't that great. 

Thatcher's Britain, eh? And that phrase is relevant in two ways here because it was an exam on Thatcher's Britain! 

I've tried to block the entire A Level experience out of my brain. I get what ya mean, I vaguely remember the horror. But hey, at least you got a grade! And at least you didn't do what someone in my class did. Under the pressure of it all they actually forgot you had to answer two questions. Oh the joys! I was blessed with Germany 1946-1990 and Henry VIII instead. Although Thatcher's Britain sounds like a hoot. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I've tried to block the entire A Level experience out of my brain. I get what ya mean, I vaguely remember the horror. But hey, at least you got a grade! And at least you didn't do what someone in my class did. Under the pressure of it all they actually forgot you had to answer two questions. Oh the joys! I was blessed with Germany 1946-1990 and Henry VIII instead. Although Thatcher's Britain sounds like a hoot. 

The exams were stressful but those two years of Sixth Form were great and I'd honestly say they were worth the anxiety and all that.

Someone forgot to answer two questions :lol::lol::lol: I guess I could say I've got a similar experience when I decided to not do the writing section of a mock English GCSE exam because I was unsure and also because I didn't really want to, but in a genuine A Level exam? :lol: The instructions are written on the front of the paper! And they tell you what to do beforehand!

Germany 1946-1990 would've been cool because maybe the teacher would've mentioned East Germany, the Berlin Wall and Bruce's famous show there, but If looking back I had to choose between that or Tsarist Russia up to 1917 in the first year I'd have stuck with Tsarist Russia all the way B)

Thatcher's Britain led to, erm, controversial discussions between the Labour and Conservative voting students in the class.

7 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The exams were stressful but those two years of Sixth Form were great and I'd honestly say they were worth the anxiety and all that.

Someone forgot to answer two questions :lol::lol::lol: I guess I could say I've got a similar experience when I decided to not do the writing section of a mock English GCSE exam because I was unsure and also because I didn't really want to, but in a genuine A Level exam? :lol: The instructions are written on the front of the paper! And they tell you what to do beforehand!

Germany 1946-1990 would've been cool because maybe the teacher would've mentioned East Germany, the Berlin Wall and Bruce's famous show there, but If looking back I had to choose between that or Tsarist Russia up to 1917 in the first year I'd have stuck with Tsarist Russia all the way B)

Thatcher's Britain led to, erm, controversial discussions between the Labour and Conservative voting students in the class.

Well I'm glad at least someone enjoyed their sixth form experience! Plus it meant you got to experience uni, so well done to you. 

I felt awful for her, but it was a bit funny :lol: oh cmon mocks are not the same! Don't go making out you're some sort of rebellion :lol: I know I know, but I guess the pressure got a bit much. I think I spent more time reading the questions than I did thinking about what to actually write myself though.. They were dark times indeed 

It was really interesting to be fair, perhaps my favourite part of the entire course. The coursework was good too. I did try and mention the whole Bruce thing and suggested maybe a video or two be shown in class, however my teacher was more of a Black Sabbath kinda guy and my other 3 classmates were already sick of my undying love for the man and his music. Hey ho. Tsarist Russia would've been cool, I wish I had the option. 

Jeez, I'm not sure I could've dealt well with that. 

1 minute ago, rachelharms said:

Well I'm glad at least someone enjoyed their sixth form experience! Plus it meant you got to experience uni, so well done to you. 

I felt awful for her, but it was a bit funny :lol: oh cmon mocks are not the same! Don't go making out you're some sort of rebellion :lol: I know I know, but I guess the pressure got a bit much. I think I spent more time reading the questions than I did thinking about what to actually write myself though.. They were dark times indeed 

It was really interesting to be fair, perhaps my favourite part of the entire course. The coursework was good too. I did try and mention the whole Bruce thing and suggested maybe a video or two be shown in class, however my teacher was more of a Black Sabbath kinda guy and my other 3 classmates were already sick of my undying love for the man and his music. Hey ho. Tsarist Russia would've been cool, I wish I had the option. 

Jeez, I'm not sure I could've dealt well with that. 

Sometimes I think those who don't experience uni are the lucky ones. Seriously, I've been in the middle of 2500 assignments on Horace's Ars Poetica when I just stop and think "I wonder what a part time job in HMV would be like?" - and if you're not sure, don't worry, I don't think I'm fully aware of what Ars Poetica is. 

I was a total rebel at school! There was this one time right where they told us to sit down, and I was having none of it. 

You're not alone with the disdain of others due to the Springsteen fandom either. I still remember the massive collective groan in the "leaver's assembly" where a PowerPoint showed our 'favourite moments in school' and mine read, "Walking about school on 22nd June 2012 knowing I'd seen Bruce Springsteen the night before."

10 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Sometimes I think those who don't experience uni are the lucky ones. Seriously, I've been in the middle of 2500 assignments on Horace's Ars Poetica when I just stop and think "I wonder what a part time job in HMV would be like?" - and if you're not sure, don't worry, I don't think I'm fully aware of what Ars Poetica is. 

I was a total rebel at school! There was this one time right where they told us to sit down, and I was having none of it. 

You're not alone with the disdain of others due to the Springsteen fandom either. I still remember the massive collective groan in the "leaver's assembly" where a PowerPoint showed our 'favourite moments in school' and mine read, "Walking about school on 22nd June 2012 knowing I'd seen Bruce Springsteen the night before."

It's pretty hard to make it without a degree these days

Or at least it is here in Wellington

Looks like I'm going to be stuck behind s shop counter till I die

At least I have Queen of the supermarket to keep me company 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It sounds enthralling, honestly. I'm not so fussed about uni, but I respect those who go through it because I know it's a lot of hard work. I think you're luckier than most, you knew what you wanted to do! That's a very lucky thing indeed. 

Oh ha ha :lol: 

You had a leavers assembly? Wow! I could not imagine that for our school. As soon as my exam was over I walked straight out of that place and never looked back. That's a nice memory though, i saw Bruce 10 days before my last exam actually. It was a good couple of weeks.

I kind of just stopped caring about the disdain for my Bruce love and thought fuck it. Makes me happy and I'll hold on to it. So now I couldn't care less! I feel lucky to have something I'm so passionate about ^_^

• Like 2