Paolo's Circus Story

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

Nice to see David Sancious on the new album.

I thought the same thing!  And Charlie too :) 

Charlie plays with my friend’s band from time to time.  She’s in complete awe of him!!!  As a musician and a person.  

• Like 3

On 5/2/2017 at 10:39 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Deleting studio albums was the best thing I could've done

I lasted two years. Stay tuned because I'm going to be reviewing all of these bad bois on the blog. 

1812818632_Screenshot2019-06-17at17_31_08.thumb.png.f5b5c99cfd062b550b4555688e18735f.png

It seems I'm starting to like Hitch Hikin' quite a bit.

I saw a comment on the Moonlight Motel video on YT that suggests that the song is the final act of the narrator from BTR, Promise and Racing. 

I thought up the rest just now.

Born to Run narrator is the same one as Racing In The Street and The Promise.

Later becomes actor whose claim to fame is being shot by John Wayne (Western Stars) and whose hangout is a place cross the San Bernardino line (Sleepy Joe's Cafe) lost an old friend who he used to frequent the Moonlight Motel with. Goes back to the shuttered and boarded town (Long Walk Home) (the town in long walk home is where the Moonlight Motel is. Goes back to the motel to pour one out for his loss of innocence, friends and lovers, etc.

• Like 2

Traveled to Wilmington NC today to start looking for houses for our retirement move south.  Got into town and stopped at a restaurant to have some lunch and low and behold look what is on the wall corridor to the bathrooms....

IMG_2811.thumb.JPG.77d7ba7ef8b12c085dc68aa89a879b98.JPG

A good omen?

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 2

4 hours ago, gsquare said:

Traveled to Wilmington NC today to start looking for houses for our retirement move south.  Got into town and stopped at a restaurant to have some lunch and low and behold look what is on the wall corridor to the bathrooms....

IMG_2811.thumb.JPG.77d7ba7ef8b12c085dc68aa89a879b98.JPG

A good omen?

Good luck with the move, definitely a good omen!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gsquare said:

Traveled to Wilmington NC to

My brother lived in Wilmington for a bit a few years back (work related).  Lovely area as I recall from my one visit.  Good luck with everything.  And as Ann said... yes! Excellent omen!  :) 

A young man wrote the line, "it's a town full of loser and I'm pulling out of here to win"

Many years later, after living life and having things to hide and forget he wrote, " I came here looking for a new life, one I wouldn't have to explain"

Did I once read speculation that the The Born to Run line was about Douglas and Adele moving to The San Francisco Bay Area?   Am I making that up?  Because if I am not, " I got down and out in Frisco" makes full circle sense.  Then again, Bruce briefly tried to make a musical go of it in San Francisco and got down and out.  Nobody here calls it Frisco, but I bet his Dad did.  

I am guilty of overthinking.  I was born and raised in San Francisco.  Ok, I'll move on.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

Did I once read speculation that the The Born to Run line was about Douglas and Adele moving to The San Francisco Bay Area?  

Not sure, I thought I read it was the declaration of him leaving Freehold to go 20 whole minutes away to Belmar/AP to follow his musical passions.  But I could be wrong about that! 

Even if that line was not specifically written about mom and dad, it certainly applies to the mindset, and therefore the rest of what you said makes sense.  

As for ‘Frisco’ his dad very well could have, and I feel your ‘nobody here calls _______ that’ pain.  ‘Joisey’ (among other area things!) comes to mind.  People I know only say that when we’re making fun of people who say that, thinking we really say that.  :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eileen said:

So … Mary didn't climb in. He went back for her but she'd gone. Checked out.

Maybe she was, but then they fought hard over nothing.

Then... Mary was on the Tucson Train.  He’s thinking about her and their life together and that screen door in the Moonlight Motel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eileen said:

He was just another boy she sent away.

Mary was married - that was the secret he kept.

Hmmmm, nope I don’t think so.  I’m sticking to my story... 

But I love how we all have our own interpretations!  

• Love Love Love! 1

43 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

As for ‘Frisco’ his dad very well could have, and I feel your ‘nobody here calls _______ that’ pain.  ‘Joisey’ (among other area things!) comes to mind.  People I know only say that when we’re making fun of people who say that, thinking we really say that.  :D

My college roommate was from New Jersey and did he HATE when people would immediately say "Joisey" upon learning where he was from? He most certainly did. Although when you'd say, "What exit?" he'd sigh and say, "yeah...we really do say that." 

The Frisco thing is unfortunate. I know locals hate it, but that one of the all-time great songs ("Dock on the Bay") uses it, I have to imagine it's at least a slightly conflicted feeling: how can you not be stoked that the great Otis Redding wrote and recorded such an amazing song about your town?! And yet..."Frisco"...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

My college roommate was from New Jersey and did he HATED when people would immediately say "Joisey" upon learning where he was from? He most certainly did. Although when you'd say, "What exit?" he'd sigh and say, "yeah...we really do say that." 

The Frisco thing is unfortunate. I know locals hate it, but that one of the all-time great songs ("Dock on the Bay") uses it, I have to imagine it's at least a slightly conflicted feeling: how can you not be stoked that the great Otis Redding wrote and recorded such an amazing song about your town?! And yet..."Frisco"...

I forgave the great Otis Redding years ago, and now I must forgive Bruce.  

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

Although when you'd say, "What exit?" he'd sigh and say, "yeah...we really do say that." 

Can’t lie... he’s correct... we truly do!  

That’s because you can get to a lot (if not most!) of NJ off the Garden State Parkway (runs directly behind my house) or the (fuckin’ as Bruce calls it) NJ Turnpike.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh and BTW... even though we DO say that a lot; we still roll our eyes when non Jeryites say it!  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

I forgave the great Otis Redding years ago, and now I must forgive Bruce.  

What should one call San Francisco, apart from San Francisco :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

What should one call San Francisco, apart from San Francisco :rolleyes:

The City

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

He was just another boy she sent away.

Mary was married - that was the secret he kept.

What's Maria's story?

5 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

The City

Although John Lennon called it Sam Franks Sister, which I endorse

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

The City

That’s Manhattan :D

2 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

That’s Manhattan :D

Ha ha yes it is but, back East as we say.  Out West that title goes to SF