Paolo's Circus Story

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

'Glastonbury's Greatest Headliners' on BBC2 in one hour for any Irish/UK people not out on the town tonight.Surely The Boss will make an appearance:lol:

In the travel section of our newspaper today there is an article about the inter rail pass you can get to travel around Europe by train. Mr J and I are thinking this would be a good way to spend a month in Europe next year, and even better if we can link the travel up with the 'promised' tour! Milan, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin...I shall go to sleep tonight having happy dreams!! 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2

7 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Completely over Western Stars

Is that the same as being all over it?  :P

• Haha 1

After listening to the Vietnam Vets show yesterday.

That shit needs an official release.

Usually it doesn't hurt when a show doesn't get an official release, as long as it has a good bootleg.

(Kind of why we won't really mind if Passaic 1 or Winterland doesn't get an official release soon. We have good boots that are good enough.)

The vets show needs an official release, I would love if they had video filmed at the event (much like Tempe the previous year.)

• Like 1

VILANOVA DE BELLPUIG, Spain—Josep Maria Pons calls himself the biggest Bruce Springsteen fan in eastern Spain. His dream is to bring the Boss to his village of 1,170, and he’s recruited his fellow townspeople to help make it come true.

On Saturday, for the third year in a row, he brought hundreds of amateur musicians and singers from near and far onto the town’s public soccer pitch to jam out on a single Springsteen hit. This time, they played the 1985 hit “Glory Days” again and again, for hours, waiting for Mr. Springsteen to show up and recording the festivities for a video that they hope will go viral.

Mr. Pons, 46 years old, has spent more than $40,000 attempting to get the singer to visit. His restaurant, which has a Springsteen theme, is on what the village has informally named E Street, after Mr. Springsteen’s band.

The endeavor is staffed by local volunteers and approved by the town’s mayor, who credits it for putting Vilanova de Bellpuig on the map of Springsteen-related events. The five-century-old village is so dedicated to the singer that it prints its own local currency called Boss. It trades at parity to the euro at a foreign-exchange kiosk.

“Please come here, Bruce Springsteen,” said Mr. Pons’s wife, Helena Esteve, the day of the event. “It would be better for me if you came and my husband was finished with this.”

Nearby, singers—about half of the 1,000 musicians present—were recording another take, as the temperature topped 100. The rest of the musicians were guitarists, trumpeters, bassists, trombonists and drummers. A tractor with a full gas tank stood ready to drive Mr. Springsteen in circles before cheering crowds if he showed.

The village had sent him an invitation, in clunky English, weeks in advance, noting the show was going on despite the disappointment of the past two years.

“Dear Bruce, We don’t want to quit you so much time and we just send you this letter for inform you that this year we don’t surrender again,” it reads. “Every year we live with the emotion of if you are going to appear.”

Mr. Pons, who has the lyrics to Mr. Springsteen’s “No Surrender” tattooed on his arm, has loved the singer since he was 13. Hearing “The River” left such an impression that he remembers the license plate of the older friend’s Volkswagen Golf he was sitting in: SS0679L.

“After my family, Bruce is the most important thing in my life. He is like God,” said Mr. Pons.

He doesn’t know English, and didn’t fully understand what Mr. Springsteen was singing about until he recently found a book of lyrics in Spanish.

The local singers, almost none of them English speakers, have labored through vocal lessons to master “Glory Days.” Musicians as young as 4 have taken up drums or bass to provide the rhythm section. The regional John Deere distributor helped sponsor the event, on the stipulation that if Mr. Springsteen shows up, he has to ride the tractor.

“I would like to know him,” said Clara Claramunt, a 9-year-old bass player from the area.

Hotels were full for miles.

“For Springsteen fan clubs, this is the most important gathering in Europe,” said Paola Jappelli, vice president of one such club in Naples, Italy.

Romantics who chase big dreams only to encounter the letdowns of life are common characters in Mr. Springsteen’s Americana-themed rock, which has long drawn especially ecstatic live audiences in Europe, said contributing Rolling Stone editor Joe Levy.

The music is laced with grand ideas about freedom, but also with disappointment. “It carries with it all of the harsh realities that will meet idealism,” Mr. Levy said.

That has made Springsteen particularly popular in Spain’s Catalonia region, whose quest for self-determination was repressed first by Generalissimo Francisco Franco during Spain’s civil war, then in the three decades of fascism that followed. The region, which speaks its own Catalan language, in 2017 attempted to break away from Spain in a referendum that was met with a police crackdown.

About a decade ago, the main Catalan TV broadcaster held a contest for the region’s biggest Springsteen fan. Mr. Pons placed second, to his lasting shock. The winner flew to New York to meet Mr. Springsteen.

Two months later, the winner died in a car accident. “Now I’m No. 1,” said Mr. Pons.

Several years ago, Mr. Pons saw a viral video: The residents of a small Italian town performing a Foo Fighters song. The American band visited there shortly afterward.

Mr. Pons called his wife and proposed something similar. She assumed he was lightheaded from Spain’s dehydrating heat. “Drink some water,” she said.

Weeks later, he started petitioning sponsors. She realized he was serious. “It’s like his dream and we have a chance to do it,” she said. “So we have to do it.”

Year one—“No Surrender”—stumbled when a downpour drenched the instruments just as recording finished.

The second year, Mr. Pons held a social-media vote on which song to perform. That was a mistake. “Badlands” proved too fast for hundreds of Catalan singers who don’t speak English.

Mr. Pons nearly canceled this year’s event when his cousin, Josep Calafell—who built the stage and set up electrical equipment—fell under a tractor on Sept. 21, “two days before the birthday of Bruce,” said Mr. Pons. The accident put his cousin in a wheelchair.

Mr. Calafell told him to keep going. “I can’t do it physically but I have my head. I can organize people.”

A newly hired musical director selected “Glory Days,” about finding acceptance and humor in middle age. Its lyrics are easier than “Badlands.”

A few sections were still rhythmically tricky for the throng of Catalan singers, recording on an open field. “There is speed!” complained one as the crowd stumbled on the third verse. “You don’t pronounce all the letters,” griped another.

It took more than eight hours to get enough takes for the video, which is due to post around Mr. Springsteen’s birthday in September. The mercury peaked at 106: “Hot, but not as hot as our passion,” said drummer Jaume Giribet, who had taken classes to nail the plodding beat.

Drenched in sweat, musicians slinked off to buy beers and Springsteen merchandise using the locally printed currency. Locals asked an organizer when Mr. Springsteen was coming.

He never did make it.

The local Elvis impersonation band, which has twice been welcomed in Graceland in Memphis, wonders if the Boss is poorly served by his entourage. “If only someone in his circle would say to him, ‘Hey do you know about this?’ ” said guitarist Mike Esteban of Suspicious Band: An Elvis Experience.

Two assistants to Mr. Springsteen didn’t return emails from the Journal. Mr. Springsteen’s longtime producer Jon Landau didn’t answer calls or a text message. An assistant to Mr. Landau didn’t reply to an email. Steven Van Zandt, Mr. Springsteen’s guitar player declined to comment, through a representative.

Villagers have begun to worry. Concerns over the longevity of the 69-year-old star have rippled through their winding streets.

The show kept going Saturday, even without the star. Bassists swung their instruments in time, and teenage girls danced, waving peace signs. Mr. Calafell directed volunteers from his wheelchair, alongside Mr. Pons.

“I was so sure Bruce was going to come,” said Mr. Pons, who then turned to assure a small crowd he would try again next year.
  • Bruuuuce! 1

18 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

wow his poor wife 

do you think JLM have seen this article ?

i feel sorry for the little 4 year old kid's when Bruce doesn't show up

“Please come here, Bruce Springsteen,” said Mr. Pons’s wife, Helena Esteve, the day of the event. “It would be better for me if you came and my husband was finished with this.”

:lol:  She should try appealing to Patti !

• Haha 1

I just got a You Tube notification that Bruce's channel as posted the clip of Spirit In The Night from 1973 that was included amongst the bonus tracks in the BTR box set. Assume the other bonus clips will follow in the next few days. Perhaps Hammersmith 75 also...?

18 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

I just got a You Tube notification that Bruce's channel as posted the clip of Spirit In The Night from 1973 that was included amongst the bonus tracks in the BTR box set. Assume the other bonus clips will follow in the next few days. Perhaps Hammersmith 75 also...?

Rachel's onto it :)

15 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Rachel's onto it :)

Yes, I posted here and exited this thread to see she was spreading the news in a more professional and noticeable manner LOL

• Haha 3

You learn something new on Brucebase every day...

This, about the idea for the title Kitty's Back, and maybe Bruce should never have told this to anyone:

'In 1974 Bruce mentioned he got the idea for the title from a neon sign promoting the return of popular stripper’s show to a local Shore-area club.'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

You learn something new on Brucebase every day...

This, about the idea for the title Kitty's Back, and maybe Bruce should never have told this to anyone:

'In 1974 Bruce mentioned he got the idea for the title from a neon sign promoting the return of popular stripper’s show to a local Shore-area club.'

Hmmmm.... I read a long time ago it was a sign at a at a beauty salon for a hairdresser.  

• Like 1

40 years on if he missed that sign, we may have gotten "Stormy's Back" on Western Stars...

• Haha 1

The Western Stars album is not elevator music.  IT IS NOT. NO WAY.

OK? :)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

On 7/13/2019 at 2:43 PM, rosiejaneymary said:

Hmmmm.... I read a long time ago it was a sign at a at a beauty salon for a hairdresser.  

That's funny...I heard it was an episode of Gunsmoke.

29 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

That's funny...I heard it was an episode of Gunsmoke.

Yeah, that Miss Kitty... 

3 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

If I have to choose between "Night" and "Backstreets", I'm going with "Night" every time, no doubt about it.

As much as I love Night, for me it’s Backstreets all day every day and twice on Sunday. 

Glad we have both. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

If I have to choose between "Night" and "Backstreets", I'm going with "Night" every time, no doubt about it.

Night is my number two on that album. There I said it. It was my favorite for the longest of times until I realize nothing is better than Born To Run