Paolo's Circus Story

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

2 hours ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Anyone have thoughts on "Down in the Hole"? Working on a post about it...

Love it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Love it. 

Do you think we are helping him! :lol:

17 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Do you think we are helping him! :lol:

Probably not! But he did ask what we thought... 

• Like 1

I wish I could remember which thread topic it was in which @Jerseyforniaraised his annoyance with Bruce dropping the "g" from words in the later part of his career. (As in Chasin' Wild Horses).

That way, I could tell him the unfortunate news that while I was watching the Darkness doco last night I noted several instances where they had a shot of Bruce's lyrics notebook showing that while a work in progress a particular song was clearly labelled RACIN IN THE STREET

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Fuckin' hell.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I wish I could remember which thread topic it was in which @Jerseyforniaraised his annoyance with Bruce dropping the "g" from words in the later part of his career. (As in Chasin' Wild Horses).

That way, I could tell him the unfortunate news that while I was watching the Darkness doco last night I noted several instances where they had a shot of Bruce's lyrics notebook showing that while a work in progress a particular song was clearly labelled RACIN IN THE STREET

Best not open the "Loose End" pandora's box then.... ;)

Droppin' G's when Racing, droppin' S'es when Ending, Dropping H's when 'orsing around.... 

What's the Bruce world comin'(g) to?

• Haha 4

He'd do well on the Steve Wright Friday show - Serious Jockin', no G.

I can't decide if I should be happy or worried this morning.

I got up to find my other half had done the dishes, was cooking me breakfast and was playing and singing along to Western Stars :lol:!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2

On 7/24/2019 at 8:10 PM, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Hate is a bit strong, but will really dislike do?

On 7/24/2019 at 9:10 PM, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Anyone have thoughts on "Down in the Hole"? 

A dull song.

I really like most of High Hopes but not this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shirlsdins said:

I got up to find my other half had done the dishes, was cooking me breakfast and was playing and singing along to Western Stars :lol:!

Sounds like you're finished working on him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

A dull song.

Besides the fact that I just really, really like it musically, for this reason I always thought Down in the Hole was actually kind of interesting: “This heartbreaking song about digging for a body of a loved one in the wreckage of a disaster...”

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I hate this too.  I don't mind the pronunciation, but there's no need to reproduce it slavishly in the written word.

I also hate transcriptions of interviews where they put in all the "um"s and "er"s where the interviewee has paused between words.  There's just no need for it, except on the rare occasion when a pause is significant.  Very few of us are so articulate that we can talk continuously without gathering our thoughts or searching for the right word.

15 hours ago, shirlsdins said:

Had he taken the little blue pill, too...?

• Haha 3

I HAD to buy a new iPod today (don't talk to me about music on phones!!) because I cannot listen to Bruce on a stupid iPod that I have dropped too many times and now stops and starts randomly and has me muttering "f^&* off" vociferously in public (to the shock of strangers) when it, again randomly, says "Siri not available - you are not connected to the internet".
The things I do for you Bruce!

• Like 2

Don't feel too guilty, @SydneyGirl I mutter "f^&* off" vociferously in public when walking the streets of Perth almost constantly.  It's usually at the f'ing idiots who are peering into their phones, but cyclists on the footpath get a shout, as do persons walking four abreast slowing the passage of people down, oh and people who just randomly stop for no reason, or ones who have a group chat at a pedestrian pinch point, or...    You get the picture. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jukebox said:

Don't feel too guilty, @SydneyGirl I mutter "f^&* off" vociferously in public when walking the streets of Perth almost constantly.  It's usually at the f'ing idiots who are peering into their phones, but cyclists on the footpath get a shout, as do persons walking four abreast slowing the passage of people down, oh and people who just randomly stop for no reason, or ones who have a group chat at a pedestrian pinch point, or...    You get the picture. 

Oh man @jukebox I could own every word of that rant. Sooo me. The other thing I confess to do doing is stopping in front of the idiots peering at their phone and saying "heads up" really loudly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just back from a fabulous week in Bilbao.  Visited the San Mamés stadium (only the outside of it - mr jmw always has to find the footie stadiums if he can!). I had no idea that Bruce played there in 2009 until I came back here on the Lake and searched :lol: He also played the Exhibition Centre there in 2007. Well I never!

A bit of useless information for y'all ....

• Like 5

On 7/28/2019 at 1:04 AM, rosiejaneymary said:

Besides the fact that I just really, really like it musically, for this reason I always thought Down in the Hole was actually kind of interesting: “This heartbreaking song about digging for a body of a loved one in the wreckage of a disaster...”

i love the echohy hollow sound effects kind of like i imange  a crane moving a steel beam or a piece of wreckage swinging precariously (although all i remember is dust)

we have a piece of some of the twin tower wreckage at a firefighter memorial under a bridge by the river in Chch at a park called fire fighters reserve 

twistered and growtesk (excuse spelling)

its a song i consider more than worthy to have been on the rising and im glad it got a release eventually

its a much more brutal song than your missing but it still gives important voice to the suffering of those left behind

the selvaged material was gifted from the city of New York to Chch in 2002 to be used in art to honour firefighters world wide 

the engraving says 

a tribute to firefighters

i think there was a world fire fighters games in Chch around this time

Firefighters seem to have a very strong international brotherhod and the loss of those 343 firefighters (probably more since) on 9/11 was felt deeply by the fire service in NZ and they did quite alot of fundraising to aid their New York brothers

2 bridges over the park got munted (as they say in Chch) in the earthquakes so the art installation was temporarily  moved to a feild before being reinstated after the bridges were fixed 

and of course its taken on extra meaning to reflect the great effort and risks fire fighters took in the hours after the big quake

0e32adef-51c1-4860-8bde-dccbc8e7b17d_d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

its a song i consider more than worthy to have been on the rising and im glad it got a release eventually

I think it might’ve gotten more attention to it’s meaning if it had been on The Rising.  

I think it’s sad and beautiful and haunting all at the same time.  

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

A bit of useless information for y'all ....

No such thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/24/2019 at 2:10 PM, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

So did we help. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Random thoughts?

I just immediately thought how Bruce is really, really lucky to have had the guidance of his mom when young, a stable, positive force in his life, to really raise him, or he would never had had any success in life, probably. She was the guiding force when he was young - his dad, they loved each other, but there was fear there, and depression. Crippling depression. Poor Douglas. Thank goodness for Adele and her vibrant spirit, to save Bruce's life, his future.

That was just the first thing that came to my mind, he was blessed with her. I wish all people could all have well-functioning, positive parents to raise them. It sure doesn't always happen that way...

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 4

3 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Random thoughts?

I just immediately thought how Bruce is really, really lucky to have had the guidance of his mom when young, a stable, positive force in his life, to really raise him, or he would never had had any success in life, probably. She was the guiding force when he was young - his dad, they loved each other, but there was fear there, and depression. Crippling depression. Poor Douglas. Thank goodness for Adele and her vibrant spirit, to save Bruce's life, his future.

That was just the first thing that came to my mind, he was blessed with her. I wish all people could all have well-functioning, positive parents to raise them. It sure doesn't always happen that way...

Agree 100%.  I have thought this many, many times over the years.  Poor Douglas and thank God for Adele.  

I’ll add to it that as far as partners go, he’s incredibly lucky to have Patti.  And he knows it. 

And of course...we’re incredibly, incredibly lucky to have him.  As he is to have us.  

• Like 3