Greasy Lake Community

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

When I am working in the kitchen and don't have a hand free to turn on the stereo, I just tell Alexa to play "Springsteen songs". And to my great surprise, the mix contained almost all of WS and some of the soundtracks from "Blinded by the Light". Before, the sequence was rather predictable.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

It's not something I've thought about a lot, but this has just gone through my head so I'm gonna post it on this thread...

I'll also preface it by saying I know I ramble a lot, so sorry in advance. 

Anyway, I haven't really given Bruce's upcoming birthday much thought other than the prospect of the hopeful, albeit unlikely, special Archive Series release on the day. However when I do read posts or tweets or whatever about it, it does get me thinking that in a couple of days I'll be a 22 year old whose favourite musician is 70, and I can't help but be a bit bothered by it. 

Now, I don't want to come across as being disrespectful to anyone who's of that age or anything, because nowadays 70 is the new 60 in a lot of cases - the current President is 73, for example (I know, I know) and Bruce is a fine example of people of this age being in great condition.

But I just can't help but think back to when he was 63 and it was like, there was an aura of "cool", "retro", "badass" and "awesome" about being a Springsteen fan. He was old, but it didn't matter because he was cool as fuck. Today I don't really feel those things about being a fan of him, and the more I hear of him talking about mortality and getting old it just simply irks me and it feels odd that one of my greatest idols is, well, this old man. I'm not sure I can put it any other way than that. I'm bored of Western Stars and I've got no interest in this film at the minute because it seems like the only purpose they're serving is to tell me that the singer I listen to more than anyone else is in the twilight years of his life.

I posted the other day that 2012-2014 were the best and got pulled up on it with the obvious '78 posts. I'll tell you what though, '73-81 and '12-14 were both similar in how they weren't these depressing eras focusing on getting older and the baggage that comes with it. Of course, '12-14 had its focus on mortality, but at least that came with a massive shout of "but fuck death because we're here, you're here and we're gonna enjoy ourselves!".

I know I'm the only one who'll feel this way. If anyone reads this and responds I expect it'll either be a completely contrasting opinion (which is why I'll emphasis the "22 year old whose favourite musician is 70" part) or something not really conversational. 

I'll end this not with that paragraph, but by saying that maybe this is what's gotten me down in regards to being a Springsteen fan this year. I imagine you'll have noticed that I've been really negative over the last few months and that I'm not finding it as fun on here as I did less than a year ago (I'm aware this is sounding tedious). But I'll keep on keeping on with listening to Springsteen, because I love my Archive releases, I love writing about them and other Springsteen related subjects and I do still like aspects of this forum as well, even though the "bantz" aren't what they were, but I'm gonna enjoy my current search for newer music and new artists to listen to, because it feels like honestly Bruce is telling me to move on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's not something I've thought about a lot, but this has just gone through my head so I'm gonna post it on this thread...

Anyway, I haven't really given Bruce's upcoming birthday much thought other than the prospect of the hopeful, albeit unlikely, special Archive Series release on the day. However when I do read posts or tweets or whatever about it, it does get me thinking that in a couple of days I'll be a 22 year old whose favourite musician is 70, and I can't help but be a bit bothered by it. 

Now, I don't want to come across as being disrespectful to anyone who's of that age or anything, because nowadays 70 is the new 60 in a lot of cases - the current President is 73, for example (I know, I know) and Bruce is a fine example of people of this age being in great condition.

But I just can't help but think back to when he was 63 and it was like, there was an aura of "cool", "retro", "badass" and "awesome" about being a Springsteen fan. He was old, but it didn't matter because he was cool as fuck. Today I don't really feel those things about being a fan of him, and the more I hear of him talking about mortality and getting old it just simply irks me and it feels odd that one of my greatest idols is, well, this old man. I'm not sure I can put it any other way than that. I'm bored of Western Stars and I've got no interest in this film at the minute because it seems like the only purpose they're serving is to tell me that the singer I listen to more than anyone else is in the twilight years of his life.

I posted the other day that 2012-2014 were the best and got pulled up on it with the obvious '78 posts. I'll tell you what though, '73-81 and '12-14 were both similar in how they weren't these depressing eras focusing on getting older and the baggage that comes with it. Of course, '12-14 had its focus on mortality, but at least that came with a massive shout of "but fuck death because we're here, you're here and we're gonna enjoy ourselves!".

I know I'm the only one who'll feel this way. If anyone reads this and responds I expect it'll either be a completely contrasting opinion (which is why I'll emphasis the "22 year old whose favourite musician is 70" part) or something not really conversational. 

I'll end this not with that paragraph, but by saying that maybe this is what's gotten me down in regards to being a Springsteen fan this year. I imagine you'll have noticed that I've been really negative over the last few months and that I'm not finding it as fun on here as I did less than a year ago (I'm aware this is sounding tedious). But I'll keep on keeping on with listening to Springsteen, because I love my Archive releases, I love writing about them and other Springsteen related subjects and I do still like aspects of this forum as well, even though the "bantz" aren't what they were, but I'm gonna enjoy my current search for newer music and new artists to listen to, because it feels like honestly Bruce is telling me to move on.

my psudo-Italoan friend ;)

this place was made for rambling so no need to apologise 

and yes from your recent posts i have detected something was a little off

im kinda shocked to realize im more than twice your age because i feel like i still feel exactly the same as i did when i was 12 or 16 or 22 or 30 etc

mortality is scary but look at the rock stars who died at 27 - Bruce hadn't even made the River at that age !

I'll tell you the biggest scary thing about aging (except death) is realizing all your hopes & dreams, asperations, struggle and heartach belonged to your parents before you and thats another thing i learned from Bruce Springsteen 

and ill tell you a secrete

this new record scares the fuck out of me -( in a completly diffetent way to how TOL scares the fuck out of me)

but im not scared for him - for Bruce,  because he's going to live forever just like Keith and Mick and that packet of dried apricots caught down the back of the pantry

but i am scared for me 

Gary is only 3 years younger than Bruce and despite some health scares and the worry of grown up children, he's still young on the inside

when this guys (aging rock stars) get on stage they still feel exactly the same way they did when they were 16 even if they have sore backs and should not jump off pianos and they only half joke  about needing  little blue pills 

you know when i was a youngin' (feel free do noiserly sigh and eye roll) but people at 60 were really old

my grandparents seemed as old as the hills ....

somedays i look in the mirror and i see my grandma - that's a bit terrifying

those 50th wedding anniversaries my parents would drag us off to seemee so boering ..but by golly did i enjoy going to those parties when it was Gary's dad's generation's time (maybe it was because they were Irish parties)

but nowdays society has changed - maybe because of popular culture and social media, maybe because the boomers are still the rock & roll generation

my neighbour is actually old - he's 92 and he's in a race with the Queen to get to 100. when we talk to him he doesn't seem all that old at all

anyway its all about how you feel on the inside

just like  who cares what is cool ?

i never cared much about what was cool growing up so why should i care now

my friends didn't think Bruce was cool in 1985 when in reality he was the coolest man on the plannet ! 

im still trying to copy his look all these years latter - the western stars look is smokin' hot !!

i read this thing one time (in band camp- jez is that an old joke now or what!) about Bruce talking about being on a bus (i acknowledge not as sexy as a car - not as community-based as a train - but i guess he ment the bus was you, every day on your journey through life with all your baggage )

and you'r in that bus with all your former selves

9 year old Paolo, 12 year old Paolo, 18 year old Paolo, 22 year old Paolo 

6 year old Bruce, 16 year old Bruce, 22 year old Bruce, ......69 year old Bruce

6 year old Nicky, 12 year old Nicky ....ok ok you get the point!!!

but all those 'yous' are still inside you, just like for Bruce or for me or my 92 year old neighbour and i guess my grandparents and my parents felt the same 

anyway Bruce is no older than you now than when you first became a fan, same for all of us no matter when we got on this train, we are all aging together, one year at a time

70 might be perceived as some as a milestone but its still just a number, same as being 22 or being 48 (groan)

i think you'r just having a little test of faith

that's perfectly ok and  i can assure you from experience i know they feel odd - but it passes 

now i reacon you should go on a WIESS bender - he's young and its summer 

Bruce is still cool as fuck ! 

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1

ive never understod retro* ! 

to my ears it trivializies important things (to me) to the lowly novelty value of kitch :angry:

did you guys know some people now refer to the 70s, 80s and unbelievably the 90s as vintage ?

im like get out of here ! - thats half the stuff in my wardrobe ! 

*retro is surley the 1950s ;)

• Like 1

oh dear Paolo

one thing i will add 

start saving aggressivly for your returement 

yes home ownership is great and who knows with global warming what the future is going to look like

but i can tell you once you hit retirement you are still going to want to do alot of the things you enjoy doing now at 22 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I envy you.

Bruce, more than any other artist I listen to, has created music that speaks so deeply to the human condition of ageing that new nuances and beauty will reveal themselves as you progress through life. For context, I'm 49 years old. TOL came out when I was 17. I loved it at the time, but only truly felt it and understood it in my mid 20's when marriage beckoned. The Lucky Town album became a whole different beast once I had children of my own. WOAD is an album I keep coming back to right now... 23 plus years of marriage and these songs keep revealing new layers of meaning and insight.

This music will continue to grow and sustain you as you move through life. I truly envy the discoveries you will find still hidden within works you may think you already know.

Western Stars, even at the age of 49, resonates with me. But I feel this is truly a jewel box that will only reveal it's full emotional treasure as I listen to it (God willing) over the next twenty years. So don't sweat on your current response to WS....youth is your advantage. The day will come, even if it's 20 or 30 years down the road, when this music too will speak to who you have become.

• Like 8
  • Bruuuuce! 1

8 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

This music will continue to grow and sustain you as you move through life.

Perfectly said.  

With Bruce being 10 1/2 years older than me, and me being the tender age of 14 (perfect time for ‘when they said sit down, I stood up...) when I discovered him, I feel he’s always been paving the way for each of my personal life’s stages/experiences.  

It seems every album came out at a perfect time for whatever stage I was about to enter.  

• Like 4

I did not notice at first sight as I was reading the newspaper but I see now at this very moment the woman in the train in front of me is wearing a Bruce Springsteen T-shirt.

A River T-shirt with the Hungry Heart telephone cell picture.

• Bruuuuce! 2

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

I did not notice at first sight as I was reading the newspaper but I see now at this very moment the woman in the train in front of me is wearing a Bruce Springsteen T-shirt.

A River T-shirt with the Hungry Hearr telephone cell picture.

Say hi to her, but please don't intimidate her with your knowledge. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I’m a 22 year old northern kid who’s favourite musicians include Springsteen, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Prince, as well as a tonne of bands from the 60s, 70s and 80s all with members in their late 60s+ - age is just a number, and there’s nothing wrong with liking “your dad’s” (as I often get teased) music.

The artists named are some of the coolest people alive, to me, and the fact that they’re getting on a bit (or for Petty and Prince, dead) doesn’t cancel out the fact that they have made some incredible music in their 20s, 30s, 40, 50s and 60s 

Perhaps you’re just overthinking it - there doesn’t have to be a reason for you stopping listening to Springsteen, just go and listen to something else. I barely listen to him at the minute (there’s an insane amount of incredible new music being released at the moment!!) but I know that soon enough I’ll be hooked again 

Read this back and it sounds like I’m having a go, I’m honestly not - please read in a tone of voice that sounds like I’m being nice :P

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

I’m a 22 year old northern kid who’s favourite musicians include Springsteen, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Prince, as well as a tonne of bands from the 60s, 70s and 80s all with members in their late 60s+ - age is just a number, and there’s nothing wrong with liking “your dad’s” (as I often get teased) music.

You have great taste! :D

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

So as I already told Rachel and Ann... this happened yesterday! 

https://patch.com/new-jersey/paramus/amp/28303830/stew-leonards-celebrates-1st-nj-store-springsteen-tribute

I missed the giant guitar cake, but was able to get to the store (which is freaking amazing!) before closing to sign the card. :) 

No, I wasn’t standing sideways... 

AF34B7FF-E128-485D-8FD7-8E993C20BBD5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

10 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

https://patch.com/new-jersey/paramus/amp/28303830/stew-leonards-celebrates-1st-nj-store-springsteen-tribute

I missed the giant guitar cake, but was able to get to the store (which is freaking amazing!) before closing to sign the card. :) 

that looks like great fun

also good to see 400 new jobs being created

i hope they play Queen of the supermarket over the piped music on heavy rotation 

(it is a supermaket ? )

41 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

that looks like great fun

also good to see 400 new jobs being created

i hope they play Queen of the supermarket over the piped music on heavy rotation 

(it is a supermaket ? )

Yes, it’s a humongous supermarket.  

They did blast BTR as the store opened, but I honestly don’t remember if I heard any pipped in music, as there are various musical puppets type things all around the store that sing.  

Oh and a few cows that ‘moooooooo’ quite loudly.  It’s actually quite funny.  Though I suspect if you work there it could drive you nuts listening to all that all day! 

Oh, I thought of you DJ!!  They had this interactive thing that said ‘Need more cow bell’ with these cow bells on it that anyone could play.  This one little one was having the time of his life playing it.   :D

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Yes, it’s a humongous supermarket.  

They did blast BTR as the store opened, but I honestly don’t remember if I heard any pipped in music, as there are various musical puppets type things all around the store that sing.  

Oh and a few cows that ‘moooooooo’ quite loudly.  It’s actually quite funny.  Though I suspect if you work there it could drive you nuts listening to all that all day! 

Oh, I thought of you DJ!!  They had this interactive thing that said ‘Need more cow bell’ with these cow bells on it that anyone could play.  This one little one was having the time of his life playing it.   :D

i would be playing that cow bell non stop ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

I really don't think age is a significant factor when it comes to appreciating Bruce's music. Great music is great music no matter what age you are. As Bruce's career has basically been a life story for humanity it is natural that certain periods of his career will resonate with people for different reasons. It's weird because the only part I can in reality personally resonate with is the early teens and twenties period of his career with the likes of Greetings, WIESS and Born to Run. I will be 55 at Christmas, and I can safely say I've never been a rebel by nature and I have always got on well with my dad (lived at home till I was 27) so I couldn't really "relate" to the rebelliousness and rage of Darkness. I've never been married, had children,  or really had a "serious" relationship with someone so I couldn't properly relate to the likes of Human Touch, Lucky Town, Tunnel of Love or Working on a Dream. I still however love all of these albums because the lyrics and the music were so overwhelmingly great. To be honest i've always been a bit of a loner so the likes of Nebraska and Devils and Dust hit home. I'm fairly left of centre politically so I could relate to albums like The Ghost of Tom Joad, Magic or Wrecking Ball though I hate when Bruce gets too political. Brought up an RC (and still am quite religious) so I love all the songs with clear catholic imagery and themes. I love Western Stars and the River because..well, they are just wonderful albums full of magnificent songs. 

On a side note, my 17 year old nephew is an absolutely huge Beatles fan....as am I. We are both going to Liverpool next summer when he will be 18 to do all the Beatles touristy stuff and I am so looking forward to it. I hope he finds new music and bands of this era to follow, but such is the magnetic pull of the Fab Four a young teenage lad today is completely hooked with their music and knows more about them than I do. Still to convert him to the Boss though !

thats so cool about your nephew 

i hope @JustDan sees your post 

i think Mr MacBruce you are really fortunate not to resonate with Darkness

Adam raised a Cain was my mum and me except we never went to Mexico and i never made it

my eye is twitching like craxy just thinking about it

and yes Bruce's Cathloic imagery i really love too - and im not even Cathloic ! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

i remember that story when it happened (it must have been on Backstreets maybe)

it is really heartwarming ! 

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 9/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, rosiejaneymary said:

Love the t-shirt.

• Like 1

"Unsatisfied Heart" fucking destroys me, you guys. It absolutely devastates me. I don't think there's a song anywhere in the Springsteen canon that just, that gut-punches me as hard as that one does. Fuck. Not even "Down in the Hole".

Like, let me be clear, I'm not just saying "Yeah, it's good and sad for an unreleased song!" I am saying that it is, in and of itself, compared even to the officially released ones, a fucking harrowing story and PROFOUNDLY moving work of media that, when I'm in the mind to really, truly engage with it chills me to the inside of my fucking bones and makes me want to cry and more. It is deeply chilling, it's harrowing, it's nauseating, it's devastating.

Fuck. It's so sad. It's so bleak. It's so... just... So much of Springsteen's work is about the beauty of human redemption, about how you're never gone too far to come back, how you still deserve to climb in back when Heaven's waiting down on the tracks, how you can still start a fire with that spark, how if you feel like dancing he's asking, how faith will be rewarded. Dream, baby, dream. It's late, but you can make it if you run. Might be a long walk home, but there's still a flag flying over the courthouse. Things are a little tight, but you know they're gonna turn your way. Right? That's -- that's the thesis statement, of SO much of Bruce's material.

"Unsatisfied Heart" is the ultimate, cruelest possible reversal of that -- a song not about someone who's too far gone for redemption (like some of the Nebraska characters), not about someone who's unable to summon up the courage to find it (like some of the Darkness characters).... but rather -- even worse -- a song about someone who actually, fully attains the promise of all the great Springsteen songs... who, after whatever mistakes they've made in their past, finds something new and beautiful and their life is filled with light and warmth and love...... and then, out of nowhere, abruptly, chillingly, it all crumbles beneath his feet. He thought he was safe, but he wasn't. His past has too great a gravity to actually escape, to awful to move past. He attains the promise of Thunder Road, gets the redemption sought after in All The Way Home, finds a little of that Human Touch... and then.... it's utterly ripped away from him.

"Unsatisfied Heart" is, among other things (I should just do a long fucking post about it because Jesus there's at least a couple extra paragraphs one could write here), an absolutely fucking desolate and total inversion of the entire Springsteen promise. And it fucking destroys me, for so many more reasons, even, than just that.

And we don't even know what the guy did! What could be so horrible, so awful and unforgivable, that the mere specter of it forces him to flee from his wife and children in the middle of the night? What did this guy do? That chills me. That's absolutely chilling, there's no other word for it, on a level no other Springsteen song hits.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2