Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Wednesday I was driving my two great nephews (aged 8 and 10) to the cinema. Naturally, I had been playing Bruce on the way to pick them up, so when they got in I said, you don’t have to listen to B

P, your feelings are your feelings, but honestly, I’m not exactly sure why his age vs your age matters as to how you feel about his music.   Also, loving Bruce should have zero to do with listeni

A random intermittent thought that I've had on the previous three tours(including HH tour) is why does he love playing Darlington County and Working on the Highway so much?!Okay they're not played as

Posted Images

On 5/23/2020 at 9:10 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Other than the obvious Apple Music are trying to melt my brain, I guess they just won't allow Archive releases to show on the system. 

A good reason to stick to buying cds and making your own playlist 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just part of the language so but I do tend to notice when I see people use it. Quote from Hanks on COVID: “Look, there’s no law against ignorance. It’s not illegal to have opinions that are wrong,” Hanks said on NBC’s “Today.” “But there is a darkness on the edge of town here folks, and ... let’s not confuse the fact: it’s killing people."

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Was Nils not referring to Western Stars? It sounded kinda past tense to me. 

I don't think so.  He was talking about an album the band would have been touring with.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

From BTX

70310687_Screenshot2020-07-07at19_31_23.thumb.png.751a6f7775c57c80c48743e2fc4b8801.png

giphy.gif

Ha ha, you be careful over there. That place is like the alternate reality Hill Valley of Bruce fandom...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Was Nils not referring to Western Stars? It sounded kinda past tense to me. 

Haven't re-listened this morning but I'm sure Nils said the album was  "in the works"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there been a 'Best guest appearance with Bruce & ESB' poll on Greasy Lake?Watched a lot of videos today of Eddie Vedder,as well as Bono and u2, playing with Bruce and the band,was wondering has it been done on here before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

 'Best guest appearance with Bruce & ESB' poll on Greasy Lake?

Tom Waits on Jersey Girl, Patti Smith on Because The Night, many Southside Johnny guesting (and vice versa of course) over the years.

But...there are quite some of them which could qualify as candidate for 'Worst guest appearance'.... 

Let's just say guest appearances -in general, not only for Bruce- can be very great when you are there in person - but often not just listening to  the audio in your living room. And even more so when there is more than guest.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they ever go back to uploading concerts on youtube. They should upload some of the performances he's done on TV. Namely the performances he did on Fallon from 2010 and 2012.

Currently, the only way to find them is hope that they didn't get copyright striked or find them on the internet archive in 1 min segments.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

their computer is a reactive bot

somebody said the magic word

be careful about that, you will be alright

haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lampi said:

Tom Waits on Jersey Girl, Patti Smith on Because The Night, many Southside Johnny guesting (and vice versa of course) over the years.

But...there are quite some of them which could qualify as candidate for 'Worst guest appearance'.... 

Let's just say guest appearances -in general, not only for Bruce- can be very great when you are there in person - but often not just listening to  the audio in your living room. And even more so when there is more than guest.

 

E Street Shuffle with The Roots is one of my favourites.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 9:44 AM, SydneyGirl said:

It's just part of the language so but I do tend to notice when I see people use it. Quote from Hanks on COVID: “Look, there’s no law against ignorance. It’s not illegal to have opinions that are wrong,” Hanks said on NBC’s “Today.” “But there is a darkness on the edge of town here folks, and ... let’s not confuse the fact: it’s killing people."

Is it "just part of the language" independent of Bruce's song? I heard Tom say that too...I don't doubt for a second he's referencing the song. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend who has been staying home emailed me to say that he has now "finally" listened to "Bruce's discography" (he means the studio albums).

Verdict?

".... man, that is good.  There are no non-great songs in the whole lot."

(I will be shortly be lending him Tracks.:D

  • Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

BREAKING NEWS: WE'VE GOT SOMEONE WHO THINKS "REAL MAN" IS A GREAT SONG. ALERT. ALERT.

I am totally unashamed to say Real Man is one of my favourite non-E Street songs - complete cheese fest, but I’ve always loved the vocal melodies (particularly the pre-chorus “I don’t need no gun in my fist...”) and the lyrics are very honest and real - it’s a genuinely feelgood love song that challenges traditional masculinity 

That said, I won’t try to defend the synths..!!!

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

I am totally unashamed to say Real Man is one of my favourite non-E Street songs - complete cheese fest, but I’ve always loved the vocal melodies (particularly the pre-chorus “I don’t need no gun in my fist...”) and the lyrics are very honest and real - it’s a genuinely feelgood love song that challenges traditional masculinity 

That said, I won’t try to defend the synths..!!!

The synths are the best part!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

People are so down on synths these days :(

I remember when everyone loved them

Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the video of the first time Jungleland was played after Clarence's death and was astonished how much it affected me after all this time. I cried.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The synths are the best part!!!

 

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

People are so down on synths these days :(

I remember when everyone loved them

Just to clarify, I also love the synths - I just know that a lot of people find them very dated! As I said, I love the fact that this song is a total cheese-fest and the synths really add to that!!

I actually bought my first synth last year to compliment guitar tracks I was working on at the time - they are ridiculously fun instruments if you can get a good sound dialled in!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Played Darkness album the other day, first time in a long time. 

Come to find out Streets of Fire isn't the second song up! :D

Not gonna lie, been listening to Houston '78 over the last week or so for the upcoming review and I've been thinking exactly the same thing :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...