Greasy Lake Community

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

10 hours ago, stillilllife said:

What instrument(s) is being played in the solo section at 1:48?:

In the live version it seems to be played on a 12-string electric guitar, but I'm not sure what I'm hearing on the studio version.

You know I always thought it was a harmonica, but listening back I’m not as sure - maybe a keyboard sound?

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

P, your feelings are your feelings, but honestly, I’m not exactly sure why his age vs your age matters as to how you feel about his music.   Also, loving Bruce should have zero to do with listeni

On Wednesday I was driving my two great nephews (aged 8 and 10) to the cinema. Naturally, I had been playing Bruce on the way to pick them up, so when they got in I said, you don’t have to listen to B

A random intermittent thought that I've had on the previous three tours(including HH tour) is why does he love playing Darlington County and Working on the Highway so much?!Okay they're not played as

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

You know I always thought it was a harmonica, but listening back I’m not as sure - maybe a keyboard sound?

To me it kinda sounds like a harmonica and a saxophone (as well as glockenspiel) playing the exact same melody, but yeah, I'm not sure either.

• Like 1

This, from Ian Hunter's latest Horse's Mouth fan interaction (a great feature that Bruce should adopt).

" ‘Schizophrenic’ ( album) started life at Wessex Studios in London, but I wasn’t too happy with the way it was going. Steve Popovich (my manager at the time – now sadly passed – great, great guy) said the E Streeters would be interested if I wanted to come back to New York. Mick (Ronson) and I went back to the States and we recorded at the Power Station in Hell’s Kitchen. John Cale’s on that as well.
The E Streeters were lovely guys – as was Bruce, who I met at the Power Station years later. I like to think ‘Schizophrenic was the reason Bruce started to record at the Power Station. Max, in particular, loved the sound Bob Clearmountain was getting. Good times."

Roy, Max and Garry are on this album.  Roy gets additional arrangement credits.  Certainly Hunter's finest album.  Exceptional piece of work.

• Like 4

Was playing the Album Cover tag game over in the A.P. 

Noticed that Western Stars album cover is the only studio album without Bruce's name on it? Is there a story about why not? 

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Noticed that Western Stars album cover is the only studio album without Bruce's name on it? Is there a story about why not? 

The picture of the 'orse is so big there was no room left for 'Bruce Springsteen'.

• Haha 2

Lakers, can anyone point me to a transcript of the rest of this voice-over:

“Age brings perspective and the fine clarity one gets at midnight on the tracks, looking into the lights of an oncoming train. It dawns on you rather quickly: There’s only so much time left. Only so many star-filled nights, snowfalls, brisk fall afternoons, rainy midsummer days.”

I'd like to cut and paste it into an FB post without having to write it all out myself....

Was watching CNN a bit ago, and one of the talking heads was a guy named Ron Brownstein who I really know very little about.  But as I'm watching, I notice a framed picture on the book shelf over his left shoulder that looks familiar.  It's the one below.  Bruce fans are everywhere. 

th?id=OIP.68vaPypJIvUAmF8MJ3xUaAHaKo&pid

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Got a question for you all.  Do you think this is Steven in the photo below (kneeling, second from left, white shirt)?

The background of the photo is that this is from 1980, at the recording sessions for the Iron City Houserockers (Joe Grushecky's former band) great second album Have A Good Time (But Get Out Alive).  Steven helped produce the album along with Mick Ronson and Ian Hunter (standing far left, next to Grushecky) and others.  It's hard to tell if it is Steven, given that there are so few photos of him without a hat/bandana.  But that receding hairline makes me think it's him.  Opinions?

Iron-City-Houserockers-04.thumb.jpg.a2ddbe1305ad6d6c8fe3210d3675cdfb.jpg

Ears are probably the most distinctive feature, and they don't change.  That fellow's ears seem to stick out more than Steve's do.

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/pictures/the-sopranos-cast-where-are-they-now-photos/steven-van-zandt-2/

This REALLY made me laugh though:  :lol:

https://madhousemagazine.com/see-shocking-photos-of-steven-van-zandt-without-bandana/