Greasy Lake Community

Random Thoughts + Discussion: Springsteen edition

@SoulBoogieAlex it's the punching horns! @Paolo's Circus Story I might take a lot of heat for saying this but I wouldn't be half as interested in seeing Bruce solo as I would with the ESB.I'd still be drooling over him solo but I'm a Rock n' Roll child I like my drums loud and my guitars electric,not the biggest fan of acoustic concerts.I do love the odd time he plays acoustic or solo piano at his concerts though;witnessing Incident in Dublin last with just Bruce on piano was out of this world.

1 minute ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

@SoulBoogieAlex it's the punching horns! @Paolo's Circus Story I might take a lot of heat for saying this but I wouldn't be half as interested in seeing Bruce solo as I would with the ESB.I'd still be drooling over him solo but I'm a Rock n' Roll child I like my drums loud and my guitars electric,not the biggest fan of acoustic concerts.I do love the odd time he plays acoustic or solo piano at his concerts though;witnessing Incident in Dublin last with just Bruce on piano was out of this world.

I used to be the same. I mean, why would I have listened to an acoustic Born to Run back in the day when the full band version exists?

That mentality has completely faded now over the past few years and I consider acoustic Bruce to be spectacular due to the ability to freshen up songs and bring new life into them. Discovering the acoustic Rosie is one of the best things I've ever done and stopped me from getting tired of the song.

Some acoustic versions of songs I enjoy more than the originals.

It's all about 'broadening horizons' or some cliché shit like that, you've gotta appreciate the specific intricacies in acoustic performances like vocals and certain notes played. You'll love them in time, because it does take time.

And I'm fully aware I'm saying this despite telling the Seeger Sessions to get fucked half an hour ago.

• Like 1

@Paolo's Circus Story Oh don't get me wrong I do love his acoustic stuff;Mansion on the Hill is probably my favourite acoustic song of his.I love seeing him turn acoustic albums tracks into live rock n' roll forces of nature(Youngstown,GOTJ,Atlantic City etc.) as well as turning rock n' roll album tracks into live acoustic performances (This Hard Land,Thunder Road,Spirit in the Night,Incident) etc.

My point was that I wouldn't be half as excited about a full concert of acoustic songs.But of course I would definitely go see him solo,just much prefer to see him with the ESB!

Hahaha @SoulBoogieAlex and @phantomengineer I feel I should explain the term 'punching horns',from my perspective at least.I saw an interview many years ago from the composer of the main Rocky theme song(you know the one that is played during the training montages?!) and he said the horns in the song feel like they're punching you in the face.So that's where I coined the phrase 'punching horns' from,I'm not even sure if it makes sense but it does to me :)

:D I only just realized you were referring to Tenth @ProveItAllNight747 For a minute there, a couple of hours actually, I thought you were referring to @Paolo's Circus Story Seeger Sessions remarks because that horn section was such a big part of what made that tour a fantastic little party.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-15 at 5:30 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

At this point I'll take anything. All Bruce is good Bruce regardless.

Unless it's another Seeger Sessions tour. Fuck that.

Seeger Sessions cover version style wouldn't do much for me if repeated, with a few exceptions I don't listen to many of the actual Seeger Sessions tunes at all.

But I regularly revisit the Bruce originals as reworked by the Sessions band. I think if Bruce were to write a few originals in that style and then fill the rest of the show with re-arranged songs from his own back catalogue we could have quite a show.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, SydneyGirl said:

I never heard a version of Mary’s Place I really liked till I heard the St Louis 2008 one today and then it was mainly for the amazing intro/build-up.

I prefer the Barcelona 2002 version but I really love the St Louis one, in particular his vocals during the opening shouts of "Are you ready?"

The only problem is that he tires himself out doing it!

Confession: My car only runs with Springsteen on the speakers. But lately, even if I shuffle the selections, I I find I don't pay very much attention and the music just drifts by me.

I DESPERATELY NEED A NEW ALBUM!!! Everything else is too familiar.

Sorry.:huh:

• Like 1

One of my favourite lines, because of its unusual syntax:

If the world was mine to do with what I want to do, sir

What is truly marvelous to me, though, is that Bruce didn't use that phrasing because he wanted it to rhyme with "seduce her".

On 14. 5. 2017 at 1:42 PM, janeymarywendy said:

Hey, Silvia! Cheer up!

On 14. 5. 2017 at 3:38 PM, berlintramp said:

You could always come to Berlin in October, that would provide some excitement ;)

Thanks. It was just a moment of weakness. 

I was just tired and bored with myself..;)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Sometimes I wonder if Bruce was lying when he said he's never smoked pot.

Mostly when I smoke pot I wonder the same. I also know for certain Mary's dress sways when I smoke and why, but then it all evaporates

1 hour ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Sometimes I wonder if Bruce was lying when he said he's never smoked pot.

I remember when Bruce was on Desert Island Discs and the host said "Steve Van Zandt says you're the only person he's ever know not to do drugs" and I find that amusing because Steve knows Bruce's wife and probably his children.