Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thomam

Robbie Williams at Murrayfield

Took the family on Friday - what a great gig. A real showman putting on a really good show. Good staging based around the basic setup that Bruce uses (looked almost identical behind the decoration) and excellent use of the big screens to be more than just "here's a picture of the band", Also showed how much better a stadium venue Murrayfield is than Hampden - really good sound, stage at the end rather than on the side giving better views all round, interesting use of "unreserved seating" so if you've got GA you can retreat from the pitch to a seat - although that must reduce overall capacity a bit.

Support act Erasure were pretty good too!

Haven't been to a gig at Murrayfield since Bowie, what 82 ish?

In them days, it was still standing behind the goals and there wasn't even floodlights, so the gig had to be done in daylight.

Can't stand the guy or his music, but each to their own. I'm glad people enjoyed it.

RE; Murrayfield. I agree it's better than Hampden for stadium shows. Seen U2 there a few times (first time was back in 1987), REM and Oasis. Problem is Glasgow reigns supreme for promoters when it comes to concerts by major acts coming to Scotland. The only reason Williams was playing at Murrayfield was because the Scotland v England game was on at Hampden.

7 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Can't stand the guy or his music, but each to their own. I'm glad people enjoyed it.

RE; Murrayfield. I agree it's better than Hampden for stadium shows. Seen U2 there a few times (first time was back in 1987), REM and Oasis. Problem is Glasgow reigns supreme for promoters when it comes to concerts by major acts coming to Scotland. The only reason Williams was playing at Murrayfield was because the Scotland v England game was on at Hampden.

Suspect Hampden has a higher capacity - Murrayfield seems to be a 50,000 max, partly I guess due to the seats left unsold in the East and South stands. Hampden can take a lot more.

On 12.6.2017 at 9:36 AM, thomam said:

Took the family on Friday - what a great gig. A real showman putting on a really good show. Good staging based around the basic setup that Bruce uses (looked almost identical behind the decoration) and excellent use of the big screens to be more than just "here's a picture of the band", Also showed how much better a stadium venue Murrayfield is than Hampden - really good sound, stage at the end rather than on the side giving better views all round, interesting use of "unreserved seating" so if you've got GA you can retreat from the pitch to a seat - although that must reduce overall capacity a bit.

Support act Erasure were pretty good too!

Funny!

2 hours ago, thomam said:

Suspect Hampden has a higher capacity - Murrayfield seems to be a 50,000 max, partly I guess due to the seats left unsold in the East and South stands. Hampden can take a lot more.

I'm surprised that there ain't more stadium gigs at the cheeks' grounds.

Hampden is a 'mare getting in and out, Murrayfield is in Edinburgh, therefore a nightmare for getting accommodation.

Ayebrokes, as much as it breaks my heart going there, is but a lusty stroll from the town centre, assuming the Clockwork Orange is over-populated.

Blackheid, similarly a decent stroll from the toon centre, but I guess a meander through Bridgeton after dark would require one's wits kept about one.

Not a huge RW fan but I can imagine that as a spectacle and good fun it'd be a very decent show.

Also, it's great to have a family experience at a gig, great memories for all, glad you had a good time.

4 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I'm surprised that there ain't more stadium gigs at the cheeks' grounds.

Hampden is a 'mare getting in and out, Murrayfield is in Edinburgh, therefore a nightmare for getting accommodation.

Ayebrokes, as much as it breaks my heart going there, is but a lusty stroll from the town centre, assuming the Clockwork Orange is over-populated.

Blackheid, similarly a decent stroll from the toon centre, but I guess a meander through Bridgeton after dark would require one's wits kept about one.

Saw a gig at Greyskull (might have been Bon Jovi) and wasn't that impressed with the access. Know it's close to the motorway, but parking's crap (unless you're prepared to go to the Science Centre and risk the walk). Barrowland is the furthest East I'm prepared to go on foot after dark...

12 minutes ago, riverdude2 said:

Not a huge RW fan but I can imagine that as a spectacle and good fun it'd be a very decent show.

Also, it's great to have a family experience at a gig, great memories for all, glad you had a good time.

His set and show extends well to a stadium, although at £88 a pop, it's an expensive night out!.

16 minutes ago, thomam said:

His set and show extends well to a stadium, although at £88 a pop, it's an expensive night out!.

Most shows are nowadays sadly.

9 hours ago, thomam said:

Saw a gig at Greyskull (might have been Bon Jovi) and wasn't that impressed with the access. Know it's close to the motor UIway, but parking's crap (unless you're prepared to go to the Science Centre and risk the walk). Barrowland is the furthest East I'm prepared to go on foot after dark...

St. Luke's, just the other side of Barrowlands, is my cut off.