Captain Chaos

UPDATE!: Bruce on Broadway extended to NOW June 30th 2018

6 minutes ago, Thosisd said:

Have people been going to the bar nearby before/after shows as planned?

there was a long line before the show Friday

• Bruuuuce! 1

5 minutes ago, davemunday said:

there was a long line before the show Friday

Sounds about right! 

Also, quick one you may be able to help with. Are they checking ID against tickets on entry?

Just now, Thosisd said:

Sounds about right! 

Also, quick one you may be able to help with. Are they checking ID against tickets on entry?

No ID checks, Metal detectors, bag checks and a bomb sniffing dog

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2017 at 11:24 AM, BrilliantDisguise said:

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, living room, table and indoor

Gee, Bruce has stacked on the weight during his post-River tour hiatus!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BITUSA said:

Gee, Bruce has stacked on the weight during his post-River tour hiatus!

Fat man sitting on a little stool....

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, davemunday said:

No ID checks, Metal detectors, bag checks and a bomb sniffing dog

I thought this would be the case. Everywhere that I have been that had a strict ID only entry policy as part of the sale process never actually materialised.

I am considering whether I should say something to the person that charged me three times the ticket price. I know it is a she and that she is probably going and siting next to me as there was only one ticket on sale on Stubhub...... :-)

• Like 2

My long (long long) adventure with Broadway has taken another turn and I am now going. Ticket in hand (well, on screen). Flight booked. It's really happening.

Now just hotel. I'm looking at the Gallivant Times Square. It's basically opposite the venue and I can get it for approx £70 a night. Anyone stayed there? Or any other suggestions?

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 minutes ago, Thosisd said:

My long (long long) adventure with Broadway has taken another turn and I am now going. Ticket in hand (well, on screen). Flight booked. It's really happening.

Now just hotel. I'm looking at the Gallivant Times Square. It's basically opposite the venue and I can get it for approx £70 a night. Anyone stayed there? Or any other suggestions?

Glad to hear it! I hope you have a wonderful time.

I booked that hotel - cheap enough and it is as close to the venue as you'll get (without staying at the fancy Ritz next door). I'm only staying for 3 nights, so not exactly fussed though. From the photos on BA it looked nice enough! 

• Like 1

Have you paid upfront? Some of the sites don't want to take money now, which I'm a bit dubious off! What kind of price was it, if you don't mind me asking (have seen so many variations).

That sounds like a really good price. We couldn't get anything that cheap nearby, so are about a 30 minute subway ride away, in a hotel that don't look great to be honest!! However, it is only for one night!

4 hours ago, Thosisd said:

Have you paid upfront? Some of the sites don't want to take money now, which I'm a bit dubious off! What kind of price was it, if you don't mind me asking (have seen so many variations).

I've never had a problem with a hotel that didn't take money up front.  I think many people don't want to pay advance.  

So I've seen it said that this is "a show and not a concert", which is probably true since about half of it is spoken. It's an interesting change. In fact the more I think about it, the more that might make me appreciate the upcoming night a little more - that this one is something different utilizing the performances of the songs as an integral part but not being about them as fully as a concert is. Hmm.

Some high points (spoilers ahead obviously; am assuming anyone in this thread is okay with knowing the details of the show -- I stayed off the site for weeks to avoid them):

- There were definitely some great moments within the speaking. Some funny, some inspiring and dramatic/emotional. Some good lessons that I'm familiar with hearing in his work (1 + 1 = 3), some that felt new. Some of the spoken-word parts felt kind of like reciting a script or a passage, and these landed less with me; others, though, felt more dramatic or more conversational and stood out more. And even the former I may appreciate more tomorrow night as I think more about what this show is -- it is Broadway after all

- The way he blended the talking and the songs was impressive on Growin' Up and TAFO in particular.

- Nothing from any Bruce concert I've been to has been as chilling as hearing The Rising sung to a room full of New Yorkers.

- Great guitar work on the performance of Born in the U.S.A., one that was of course put into the show to drive home that, as he said very clearly tonight, it is a protest song.

- I'm so happy My Father's House is being performed. One of my favorites, and despite how few plays it has, I always had a feeling before the book came out that it was a song Bruce loved a lot more than its live history indicates - that it's too personal to bring out often, but that if you asked him what some of his favorites he doesn't play a lot are, that one would come up. The song's inclusion on C&V more or less confirmed this to me, and that combined with its appearance in the White House show made me hope he'd think to perform it; when I saw it get special treatment near the end of his book and read him outright say that the White House show inspired this, I figured it'd get played. As a result it didn't have the surprise that a rarity did --- yet still, to have it go from "This will totally happen" to "This is happening" was excellent, I nearly cried during the opening lines just because I was really getting a performance of it. And I'm happy that all these years later it's finally getting its time to shine, in the proper setting.

To really appreciate and be moved by that song, I sometimes have to get into a fairly specific and very deep headspace, it requires some mental preparation and often spending some time with it. But still, I'm happy I got to see it and that it's getting so much focus over this past year.

(Of course, the Christic version will likely always be the best one.)

- Dancing in the Dark / LOHAD transition was excellent, DitD worked well even in this format because it's a great song and LOHAD made it feel like there was so much more energy there than during a lot of the other songs.

- My Hometown was placed really well in a way that made me appreciate how autobiographical it is a little more, especially w/r/t the last verse.

- TTTR/BD combo was great. I didn't expect Patti to be at the show at all so that was very exciting, TOL is a top 3 album for me and I'd never heard anything off of it, and Tougher Than The Rest is a beautiful song for the two of them. Brilliant Disguise, was thrilling and unexpected to hear a second TOL song right in a row. That one's an interesting one to sing next to the woman he actually stayed with considering it's about a relationship falling apart but, hey, great song so whatever.

I think I will enjoy tomorrow's show more than tonight's. I enjoyed tonight's too, of course. Got super into some parts of it (The Rising, LOHAD) and at least enjoyed all of it. Might have more to say after tomorrow's too, I don't know. But I think I'll be more engaged tomorrow than I was able to be tonight.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kburke said:

I've never had a problem with a hotel that didn't take money up front.  I think many people don't want to pay advance.  

I'm just a bit concerned about the price as it's quoting me $45 a night - which sounds far too good to be true. I'll do a bit more research first.

8 hours ago, Thosisd said:

I got a package deal with British Airways as it was much cheaper than booking the two separately. For both me and my mum, it was something like £950, so just over £400 each. Not bad at all considering when I looked at flights for NY when I first got the tickets, the total for 2 mounted to way over £3000. That was before even looking at the hotel! 

I wouldn't worry about not paying upfront, I use booking.com all the time because of that reason! However if you're worried I'd recommend booking with free cancellation. Don't forget they'll need a credit card to swipe for incidentals too!

• Like 1

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/10/springsteen_on_broadway_just_smashed_hamiltons_box.html

"But at this rate, Springsteen's 18-week run could easily rake in north of $40 million. Given the likely low operating costs of this one-man show with minimal sets, well, let's just say Springsteen stands poised to enjoy a very major payday when all is said and done. " 

"The sold-out show grossed $2,332,108 for the week ending Oct. 8."

- Not bad for a ten hour week.

I have to go back home. :(

I think my favorite part this second show, that stuck with me the most, was this one set of guitar notes during the chorus of Brilliant Disguise. What he played right after "So tell me who I see..." - just a couple little notes strummed on the guitar for about a second, the same as the note of the actual guitar - it was beautiful, and I find it playing over and over in my head now. Maybe because it was softly sad and I feel sad about this being over, too.

I did enjoy this show a bit more than the first night. I wish I had been slightly more focused, or that I had one more night, but I found myself more engaged in a lot of the spoken-word parts this time - maybe because he seemed more engaged, too. I just felt like he felt it more tonight than last. Was once again nice to hear My Father's House, the blending of talking/singing in Growin' Up was great, I think I appreciated The Wish a little more (I've never really listened to that song), guitar intro to Born in the U.S.A. was outstanding. LOHAD was great, especially at the end -- wish I could hear that one just one more time -- positioned so, so well at the end of the show, transitioned out of Dancing in the Dark. Frankly I think the show could have ended right there. But of course Born to Run had to be somewhere. TAFO was excellent of course. Very sweet to see him and Patti do TTTR together.

Love the talk of 1 + 1 equaling 3. His closing talk about hoping he's been a good traveling companion. Very moving to hear him talk about Clarence, and sweet to see his connection with Patti as well. Introspective and intimate shows like nothing he's done before. I'm happy he's going down that road. I hope it isn't a farewell.

I may appreciate this show even more over time and in the rear view mirror. But I did enjoy it quite a bit tonight too. May have more to say later. I don't know.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, andyc35i said:

@CrushOnOutlawPete

The set list is the same right? I have read some conflicts on this.

Yup, both nights that I attended had identical setlists. It does look on Brucebase like he mixed it up VERY slightly last week just swapping the positions of The Rising / Long Walk Home and also trying GOTJ one night. However he has also said that he plans on keeping the songs and stories pretty much the same, so my guess is that the current set is here to stay unless he gets bored of it some time into the shows. I think LWH into The Rising flows better thematically for the message he's trying to express, and The Rising got a massive response at the first show I went to.

The stories were generally the same, but not word for word and some of the jokes were a little different too - which I liked, made it feel more alive and more sincere. Fundamentally the same show both times but just some slight differences in delivery 

Soooo....Bruce is now referring to himself in the 3rd Person?

• Haha 1

....and, uncharacteristically, the official site is going out of its way to promote the merchandise.

"Official #SpringsteenBroadway merch is available every show day from 6-11pm (1-6pm for matinees) outside the theater. This is currently the only place to purchase show merch and lets you skip the line inside the theater. Look for the easel and come say hi!"

bruce22489710_10155548158125250_7368957848804412802_n.jpg

42 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

....and, uncharacteristically, the official site is going out of its way to promote the merchandise.

"Official #SpringsteenBroadway merch is available every show day from 6-11pm (1-6pm for matinees) outside the theater. This is currently the only place to purchase show merch and lets you skip the line inside the theater. Look for the easel and come say hi!"

bruce22489710_10155548158125250_7368957848804412802_n.jpg

if it is Outside the theatre then will they sell to Unverified Fans???

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Power13 said:

Soooo....Bruce is now referring to himself in the 3rd Person?

Maybe he is going to tell the story about getting hit on his motorcycle by a caddy and breaking his leg while the driver was yelling at him......

If it's touring to London...and it's still an if...Piccadilly Theatre April to early May, 5 week run...has been broached as a possibility. Do with this what you want, I certainly wouldn't count on it, don't even know if Bruce is aware of it, but there has been some to and fro between London and New York and that has been proposed. 

Slightly larger theatre than the Kerr but at least not the American arena to European stadium differential we're used to. 

In other news, Ticketmaster is going to try to bring Verified Fan to the U.K. ( https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ticketmaster-to-out-the-ticket-touts-through-social-media-stmddsktb ). Note they seem to be stressing social media. Given E.U. privacy and competition (antitrust for the Americans) laws I'm not sure how this plays over here. I just know that I won't participate. I remember the Bruce who was very vocal opposing the Ticketmaster - Live Nation merger. Now he's helping them launch their class based ticketing system that locks out younger fans and helps TM further their efforts to monopolise the ticketing industry. If Glastonbury can put photos on tickets and do ID checks, the same can be done at small theatres. Of course, TM wouldn't like that because they are a big player in the secondary ticket market over here (http://www.getmein.com ) (https://www.seatwave.com). It's all about the dollars and pounds.

• Like 2

And the audio has arrived.......