Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProveItAllNight747

Favourite Concert Opener?

We all know nothing beats those few moments before he takes to the stage,knowing that we're in for 3+ hours of absolute heaven,and then they all come out one by one or sometimes some of them two by two,and we're ready to rock.So I was wondering what is your favourite concert opener that you have either experienced in concert or viewed online,on a dvd,or even listened to?

For me my favourite has to be Roll of the Dice Uncasville 2014 which I saw on Youtube.It was the last gig of the HH tour (from my recollection) and his voice  and face seemed a bit shot and tired, but I just love it so much:the energy,the crowd,the horns,the band,the sound...everything!Maybe because it has been my favourite Bruce song for the past 6 months has helped sway the decision.Incident solo on piano in Dublin 2016 is a close second which I was fortunate enough to be at.

What about you guys?

NYCS in Rome last year. It was never a particular favourite song until then, now I am listening to it over and over again.

(I am even joining in on the Italian introduction...)

There are the usual suspects like Incident On 57th Street, acoustic Thunder Road in 1975, ALL opening songs in 1978 (As EVERYTHING...well you know), and the rather bold move of opening with Born To Run on the River Tour.

From shows I saw myself:

Tunnel Of Love in 1988.

The Ghost Of Tom Joad in 1996.

The solo accoustic mini-set in 1993.

New York City Serenade 9/14/16 Foxboro, MA

Candy's Room 8/27/99 Boston, MA

Back In Your Arms 10/7/05 Hartford, CT

Born In The U.S.A. - only seen it once (Gothenburg 4.7.2008), but it was fantastic. Must have been very much better in '85. Best opener ever.

Closely followed by:

Born To Run

Downbound Train (pump organ, Hamburg 2005)

Badlands (Manchester 1999)

Of course it is considerably helped by such a brilliant crowd going nuts, and not being transfixed on their mobile screen. 

As a show opener I'm torn between Born In The USA and Tunnel Of Love on their respective album tours.

The anticipation, excitement and poor joy of these two openers are up there with my all time Bruce Springsteen fuckin' wow !! moments.

Best opening to a show I've been at was this one.

I'd love to hear Take Them As They Come as an opener. The song has a swift and powerful start and would definitely had the audience gone wild. It's tight and upbeat, has great drumming.

Don't know if it ever was played as an opener (but I bet @Lampi knows ;)).

Would also love to hear the majestic BitUSA, I think it's classic as an opener, works much better as in encores, imo.  Loved LOHAD last year.

Orlando on the Magic tour when he opened with the alternate Blood Brothers following Danny's death. Pure emotion.

@Ann Jones that was magical wish I was there. @Dr. Zoom must check out the pump organ version of Downbound Train sounds intriguing! @Tom-Joad the one after Danny's death was powerful. @riverdude2 I am extremely jealous I would have loved to be going crazy in that pit to Badlands that's my type of crowd!

Summertime Blues into Badlands....1978.  I think the Agora Boot.

I know it's two songs, but IMO this is the winner....by a knockout.

4 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Born In The U.S.A. - only seen it once (Gothenburg 4.7.2008), but it was fantastic. Must have been very much better in '85. Best opener ever.

Yup, this and same here. I too was at that show and it was amazing. It was also my first Bruce show.

45 minutes ago, BillyB said:

Summertime Blues into Badlands....1978.  I think the Agora Boot.

I know it's two songs, but IMO this is the winner....by a knockout.

Forgot to mention Summertime Blues! Yes, the ones from August '78 are great openers. 

2 hours ago, Silvia said:

I'd love to hear Take Them As They Come as an opener. The song has a swift and powerful start and would definitely had the audience gone wild. It's tight and upbeat, has great drumming.

Don't know if it ever was played as an opener (but I bet @Lampi knows ;)).

It was played once as an opener, Los Angeles 10/23/99 and it is rockin' and absolutely my favorite opener.

3 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

As a show opener I'm torn between Born In The USA and Tunnel Of Love on their respective album tours.

The anticipation, excitement and poor joy of these two openers are up there with my all time Bruce Springsteen fuckin' wow !! moments.

Hands down, it was Born In The USA for me. St James' Park, first night, the biggest noise I'd heard. I'd say after that it would be Thunder Road at Hyde Park. That was special. 

Tenth Avenue @ Emirates Stadium First Night ............. it just kept building and building, then just exploded into the song. Great stadium opened.

Tenth Ave in Barcelona 2008. The place erupted 

3 minutes ago, borntorunsean said:

Tenth Ave in Barcelona 2008. The place erupted 

Ah yes good one.

For me I'd love to hear Roulette or Don't Look Back as an opener one day. 

Also a fun one: So young and in love, Antwerp back in '08.

3 hours ago, riverdude2 said:

Best opening to a show I've been at was this one.

WOW...................now that is an opener!!!!! Look at all the young people, us old fuck's can't bounce like that.

Was it the reunion tour "My Love ....." was a standard ish opener?

That worked

13 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

WOW...................now that is an opener!!!!! Look at all the young people, us old fuck's can't bounce like that.

Very true, must admit, I did a little jog on the spot myself.