Greasy Lake Community

The Manchester United thread

doesthisbusstop

Spot on Roy. Greedy owners are killing football. And Gary Neville has conducted himself absolutely brilliantly on the need for change in the game. Whether people like him or not, he has the respect of football fans on this issue who are united on this throughout the country. And as Roy Keane said, this is just the start. Because the threat of a breakaway of the richest clubs will not go away until proper regulation prevents it. 

• Like 1

Let’s not forget that saint Gary only first criticised the Glazers two weeks ago. He’s not given two shiny shits until his job at sky (another bunch of shitehawks) was under threat from the ESL. This fucker also paid Adam Rooney 10k a week at Salford in non league football. Extremely nauseating that he’s now seen as some sort of saviour. 
I found it extremely uncomfortable watch yesterday, with sky using every attempt to blame the ESL and gloss over the main reason the United fans were protesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't know exactly how these publicly owned sports franchise's work. Just looked it up United is valued at 3.3 Billion. So what will it take to buy out Glazer's share? Is that person out there? Are you sure you don't end up with someone like Ashley and or Kroenke? 

Grass isn't always greener on the other side! 

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Don't know exactly how these publicly owned sports franchise's work. Just looked it up United is valued at 3.3 Billion. So what will it take to buy out Glazer's share? Is that person out there? Are you sure you don't end up with someone like Ashley and or Kroenke? 

Grass isn't always greener on the other side! 

Just the word franchise is the root of the problem in this country. Chelsea were on the brink of going out of business when a Russian billionaire bought them. Man City were a yo-yo club spending seasons outside the top  division and hadn’t won a single trophy in 32 years when a sheikh decided football would be a good play thing. I don’t think 51% fan ownership will happen but until something changes with ownership rules then the game is on the inevitable road to ruin. It is a matter of when, not if, that ruin occurs. 

5 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Just the word franchise is the root of the problem in this country. Chelsea were on the brink of going out of business when a Russian billionaire bought them. Man City were a yo-yo club spending seasons outside the top  division and hadn’t won a single trophy in 32 years when a sheikh decided football would be a good play thing. I don’t think 51% fan ownership will happen but until something changes with ownership rules then the game is on the inevitable road to ruin. It is a matter of when, not if, that ruin occurs. 

That's really not an answer to my questions! 

BTW: do you think Man City and Chelsea fans are grateful for their new owners? I bet over 90% would say yes! Let's reverse this, and say some wealthy person comes along and buys the majority of United. And only wants to make money and doesn't give a rat behind about Trophy's and traditions. You for ousting Glazer's? 

Any wealthy person buying a club is fraught with danger. Especially when they could not afford to buy them in the first place like with the Glazers. 

As for Chelsea and City, everyone knows what happened there which is why they don’t get the credit for the success that their original fan base craves. 

The one thing you can say about Abramovich, unlike the owners of Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool, is that he absolutely loves the club and is hugely admired by the fan base. Granted though, you could argue that since 2003 it has been what some might call a money laundering exercise !

11 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

As for Chelsea and City, everyone knows what happened there which is why they don’t get the credit for the success that their original fan base craves. 

I don't get this line of thinking! United and LFC won year in year out for ever. Why did they? They had the best players, how did they have the best players? They spent the money! A couple rich owners come along and spend enough money to get the best player to win and they get blamed for all that is wrong in the world! 

It really sounds like maybe you don't like the competition? When I mean "you" I really mean all.  

3 minutes ago, Royston Vasey said:

The one thing you can say about Abramovich, unlike the owners of Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool, is that he absolutely loves the club and is hugely admired by the fan base. Granted though, you could argue that since 2003 it has been what some might call a money laundering exercise !

And if Peter Osgood and co had won the league and the European cup in the 70’s it would have meant so much more to the club and even their “legacy fans” today. 

11 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Let’s not forget that saint Gary only first criticised the Glazers two weeks ago. He’s not given two shiny shits until his job at sky (another bunch of shitehawks) was under threat from the ESL. This fucker also paid Adam Rooney 10k a week at Salford in non league football. Extremely nauseating that he’s now seen as some sort of saviour. 
I found it extremely uncomfortable watch yesterday, with sky using every attempt to blame the ESL and gloss over the main reason the United fans were protesting.

I think you have missed the point and let your support of Liverpool and hatred of Man U cloud your judgement. I don't mean that to have a dig at you or other LFC fans btw.  I'm a Newcastle United...i hate the fuckin' both clubs ;)

Liverpool fan Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville were both in agreement and both very vocal, so much so Sky tried their very best to shut them up once they started to talk about the influence of money in the PL.

I personally don't think Neville or Carragher are saints or saviours far from it but they both spoke for all football fans and not just the rich ones, that's why I liked what they said, it is refreshing to hear ex footballers speaking up against the greedy owners.

(I wish my own football hero Alan Shearer was as vocal against mike ashley but because his mate steve bruce is the fraud manager at the moment he won't)

Either way whatever you or any other fan thinks about what they done i believe what they did will help push through laws that will stop owners trying this again. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't get this line of thinking! United and LFC won year in year out for ever. Why did they? They had the best players, how did they have the best players? They spent the money! A couple rich owners come along and spend enough money to get the best player to win and they get blamed for all that is wrong in the world! 

It really sounds like maybe you don't like the competition? When I mean "you" I really mean all.  

Man U and LFC did not win the league "forever" FFS ! 

Arsenal, Everton, Villa, mackems, Chelsea, Newcastle, Sheff Wed, Wolves, Leeds, Huddersfield, Blackburn Rovers have won it over 3 times.... Spurs ( big 6 my ass) have won it the same amount of times as Preston, Derby, Pompey and Burnley.

Man City before the money came last won the league before Newcastle United last won a trophy..yup that long ago.:o

Often those clubs were the best run, best managers best facilities and of course better wages as well as big crowds to generate more money. You do know that sunland were once called "the bank of England" club they had the most money at that time ( late 40s).

Did you also know that before the 1974 FA Cup final Liverpool and Newcastle United had won the same amount of trophies !   Really.

Football in the UK started a long time before it was on the telly all over the world and the "big six" wasn't even a thing.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

Often those clubs were the best run, best managers best facilities and of course better wages as well as big crowds to generate more money. You do know that sunland were once called "the bank of England" club they had the most money at that time ( late 40s).

Kind of sounds like what City and Chelsea has done. 

Also, scouting was so important to sign the best talent. Wolves were a huge club in the 50’s yet their scouts missed out on the local lad on their doorstep, Duncan Edwards, who is still regarded to this day as arguably the greatest English player of all time. 

55 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Also, scouting was so important to sign the best talent. Wolves were a huge club in the 50’s yet their scouts missed out on the local lad on their doorstep, Duncan Edwards, who is still regarded to this day as arguably the greatest English player of all time. 

Not quite true.

Wolves were well aware of Duncan Edwards and tried to sign him at the same time Man Utd did.  Man Utd paid some illegal back-handers to Edwards' family which swayed the deal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Growin' Up said:

Not quite true.

Wolves were well aware of Duncan Edwards and tried to sign him at the same time Man Utd did.  Man Utd paid some illegal back-handers to Edwards' family which swayed the deal!

Was that ever proven? I read it was a claim made by the Wolves scouts as they couldn’t believe a *small club from Lancashire had beaten the local giants to a local 12 year old school kid! 

(*For those who believe United only became a huge club after Munich). 

Whatever happened, it’s tragic to think that Duncan may be alive and well as an 85 year old man now to this day had Wolves signed him. 

Man U to buy everyone in transfer window rumours start - didnt they use to own Johnstone? i thought i saw him on one of the USA summer tours?

Gossip - Man Utd plan Kane bid in attempt to quell unrest

Manchester United's owners are ready to sanction a £90m bid for Tottenham striker Harry Kane as they attempt to quell the recent fan unrest. (Sun)

United have also joined Tottenham and West Ham in the race to sign West Brom's English goalkeeper Sam Johnstone in preparation for the departure of Spain international David de Gea this summer. (ESPN)

West Brom will demand £20m for Johnstone if they are relegated to the Championship. (Telegraph)

They're three of the top stories in today's gossip.

Just now, doesthisbusstop said:

It’s a huge summer for CL clubs. I can see it being an all prem CL final next season too judging by the dip in quality at the likes of Madrid and Barca. Now is the time to strengthen. 

I think it's interesting that in all this super league nonsense that the biggest representation of clubs would have been from England.

Not to mention the fact that in the middle of all this clubs such as Real & Barca are wanting loads more money so they can sign more average players for 50 zillion pounds which links to your mention of scouting above (or the lack of it).Look at the Premier League at the moment & which players are making an impact,the likes of Kane,Foden,Mount,Rashford,Grealish etc,if clubs got back to basics they would be alot better off.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 12:49 AM, newcastle roy said:

Man U and LFC did not win the league "forever" FFS ! 

Arsenal, Everton, Villa, mackems, Chelsea, Newcastle, Sheff Wed, Wolves, Leeds, Huddersfield, Blackburn Rovers have won it over 3 times.... Spurs ( big 6 my ass) have won it the same amount of times as Preston, Derby, Pompey and Burnley.

Man City before the money came last won the league before Newcastle United last won a trophy..yup that long ago.:o

Did you also know that before the 1974 FA Cup final Liverpool and Newcastle United had won the same amount of trophies !   Really.

Football in the UK started a long time before it was on the telly all over the world and the "big six" wasn't even a thing.

and football was much more entertaining then, some of the matches this season have been dire

In light of Joel Glazers letter to fans I’m sensing big investment this summer. Rumours of a double swoop for Kane and Sancho. Can’t see it though if Cavani and Martial stay.

If true and we keep Pogba and get a pacey centre back we would be very strong to put it mildly.