Greasy Lake Community

The Manchester United thread

doesthisbusstop

18 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

It's never a bad window when you have enough money, like it been forever, until Man city and PSG showed up, right? 

Not sure the players were bought with the Glazers money. I think more likely money the club earns itself through its long term popularity. 

2 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Not sure the players were bought with the Glazers money. I think more likely money the club earns itself through its long term popularity. 

Explain to me how does a club become "long term popular"? By winning? Yes! 

Man U was spending when no one else was, and they still to this day spend more then other. What's wrong with a little competition? 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Explain to me how does a club become "long term popular"? By winning? Yes! 

Man U was spending when no one else was, and they still to this day spend more then other. What's wrong with a little competition? 

You’re right. My wife spends all my money and she never earned any of it :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Your right. My wife spends all my money and she never earned any of it :lol:

Hey don't bitch, she lets you buy a download once a month, in the highest definition possible! :)

• Love Love Love! 1

That's great and all from Ronaldo, but it's a very odd signing by ManU I reckon.  Ronaldo will score goals but you have to wheel him into position first these days, and if you play him, who misses out? Does Pogba have to play defensive midfield.  That's certainly never gone wrong before. :rolleyes:

Mind you, its not as weird a signing as Pep wanting him for Man City, whose whole game is based on players working their arses off.  Watching Ronaldo try to fit into that would have been very funny.

I think Sancho will really benefit from bringing in Ronaldo. Suddenly he can play under the radar (despite his big transfer fee) and his assists record will continue to rack up high numbers. 

At the moment I see a front three of Sancho, Ronaldo, Greenwood with those young legs and pace allowing Ronaldo to linger in and around the penalty box.

And Rashford will be like a new signing in a couple of months time when injuries and rotation are inevitable. 

Unless we get some serious injuries, I’m not sure where this leaves Cavani and Martial and I’d expect one of them to leave in the January transfer window. 

On 8/30/2021 at 3:05 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

On 8/30/2021 at 3:08 PM, Jimmy James said:

image.png.4e6e7d72b6b0957f142788d7b1d64809.png

For the fiscal year ending 30 June 2020 United had a net LOSS of £23.2 million. I expect the latest FY will be worse - we'll find out ~ October, I expect.  https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54631788

For comparison, Spurs lost $85.5 million in the same period.  https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/11/23/tottenham-finances-huge-loss-in-latest-report/

The sad decline down the leagues for the ageing Ronaldo continues, from his peak in TRGLITW* La Liga, he then moved down to Serie A to play in the league of the current European Champions, but now his decline is complete as he moves further down to the back water if the english premiership, surely his last move bbefore complete retirement.

I can see why someone brought up on the two horse race that is Scottish football would venerate the Italian and Spanish leagues as exemplars of competitive competitions.

In both Italy and Spain you have to go back to 2000 before you find five different league winners. England has had that many in the past nine seasons.

You have to get in your Delorean and head to the mid-1960s before you find five different league winners in Scotland.

Still, at least Italy and Spain's top teams show us how to run financially-sound clubs and don't have to panic sell/give away their best players. Oh, wait a minute...

• Like 1

Remember when Monaco and Marseille were big teams in Europe?

Why doesn't French club football do better? Is it just not that popular there so doesn't get the TV income, sponsorship etc? It's not like the national team are unsuccessful.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Question is: who will take the 25+ penalty kicks this year?  

First, with the rule changes United will get fewer than last year. Last year they got 11, one more than Chelsea.

BUT THEY WERE NOT TOP OF THAT TABLE! Leicester got a dozen :D https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/?saison_id=2020

And as long as CR7 is on the field he's taking spot kicks. Don't get between the big dog and his bone.

• Haha 1

New haircut as well!

With other sporting news this weekend, the Second Coming has got a bit buried but hopefully Ronaldo will put on a show and so something spectacular. Despite not being a fan of Man U generally, I like OGS (possibly because he might be out of his depth but he's dealing with it without getting overexcited) and I'd rather see them win the league than Man City.

BTW I think Ronaldo is an enormous #_&@ but I was very impressed by a throwaway remark I heard a few years ago that the reason he doesn't have tattoos is because he's a blood donor. If that's correct then he deserves huge respect. (Plus, he probably rejects tattoos on the grounds that they can't improve on his perfect body!)

• Haha 1