Greasy Lake Community

The Manchester United thread

doesthisbusstop

10 hours ago, Archie Hunter said:

I love the story being presented on Sky Sports, that Wayne Rooney would find it difficult to turn down the manager's job at Manchester United.  Should it help the club at this difficult time, I feel duty bound to state that so would I.

My youngest son would happily drive Rooney to Old Trafford to get him away from Pride Park.

18 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

It was always too big a job for him and signing Ronaldo doomed him; it would take a better and more experienced manager than Solskjaer to solve that particular puzzle.  

There's no shame in him trying to do it but not being good enough,though maybe he should recognised that before now is the only negative thing you can say about him really,the main problem has not been Ole but those above him who've been sticking their fingers in their ears going everything will be fine while from everyone else's point of view it absolutely isn't.

I agree that signing Ronaldo doomed him,there are 2 parts to the Ronaldo thing,one is that it was a PR stunt as much as anything,it placated the fans for a while,two if you're signing Ronaldo now you're not signing the Ronaldo you had years ago,that's not to say he's still not a very good player but you then have to fit him into the team in a different way which means changing how you play to accommodate him.

The problem now of course is that now they've sacked Ole there seems to be no real plan what to do next because Ole was going to work so no plan B was needed,so it's back to the prospect of another interim manager till the summer when someone else who wants to take on this mess might be available,the thing is if they appoint another interim manager like Ole who does well for the rest of the season does the whole cycle start again?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, High As Hope said:

There's no shame in him trying to do it but not being good enough,though maybe he should recognised that before now is the only negative thing you can say about him really,the main problem has not been Ole but those above him who've been sticking their fingers in their ears going everything will be fine while from everyone else's point of view it absolutely isn't.

I agree that signing Ronaldo doomed him,there are 2 parts to the Ronaldo thing,one is that it was a PR stunt as much as anything,it placated the fans for a while,two if you're signing Ronaldo now you're not signing the Ronaldo you had years ago,that's not to say he's still not a very good player but you then have to fit him into the team in a different way which means changing how you play to accommodate him.

The problem now of course is that now they've sacked Ole there seems to be no real plan what to do next because Ole was going to work so no plan B was needed,so it's back to the prospect of another interim manager till the summer when someone else who wants to take on this mess might be available,the thing is if they appoint another interim manager like Ole who does well for the rest of the season does the whole cycle start again?

No shame at all.  I don't think he's a bad guy and I don't think he's a bad manager.  I think he was promoted to a job to big for him way too fast.  I hope he lands on his feet someplace in a nice mid-table team where he can get some experience.  

You are absolutely spot on RE: your comments about Ronaldo; totally agree.  I just don't think he fits this MU team and it was a mistake to sign him.  There was a lot of crowing by some MU fans about stealing a march on MC but this MC fan breathed a sigh of relief when United got him.  It has proven to be a poisoned chalice.  And hasn't Ronaldo turned into a manager killer?

There is no plan B b/c, IMO, they waited too long to bring in a replacement.  So now we are looking at an "interim interim" while they scramble around for an interim manager.  Frankly it's embarrassing.  

6 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Rumours that Poch could leave PSG to take the United job now, rather than wait until the summer. 

So you guys still don't want to win anything? :P Last time I checked Poch hasn't won anything! 

Poch gets hired at PSG last year because the guy before him couldn't win the CL, then PSG doesn't win the CL again last year along with not winning the league that they won like 10 years in a row before Poch came! I don't get the whole admiration for Poch! 

29 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I’d be delighted to get Poch ASAP this season. Perfect challenge for him too. He’s on a hiding to nothing at PSG. And we will probably draw them in the last 16. 

Keep in mind you guys were delighted to steal Ronnie away from City a couple month's ago. Now I don't think he's the sole problem at all, but he hasn't turned out to be the savior either! 

The games I've seen of United's over the last couple years, "if I was a opposing manager", I would tell my holding Mid-fielder to take Fernandes down going across the middle as soon as possible in the match, even take a yellow. He will never be a threat the rest of the match.  

Ragnick to manage the first team until the summer, then move upstairs into a consultancy type role.

An interesting appointment. You’d expect our summer Manager / Head Coach targets like Poch and Ten Hag to have approved through intermediaries a willingness to work under that structure, otherwise it would be a very strange move. 

If it had been a boxing match, the ref would have stopped the fight in Round 8. Other than one freak knockdown in Round 5, the Mancunian offered nothing throughout. Almost sad to see a once great fighter turn up with this attitude. His former manager, who was no doubt watching the bout from afar, would have been shaking his head with both sadness and despair. How could a once great pugilist now perform with such timidness ?