Greasy Lake Community

The Manchester United thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

United now lit up, a shot from behind the Best Law Charlton statue. 

great kudos to Marcus Rashford, one footballer who dosent forget where he came from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53042684

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

VAR is stupid! That ball if not touched is over the net by 6 feet. Plus looked to be defected off the player on the ground. Terrible. 

Some refs would give it, some refs won't. And after watching VAR some refs would give it and some won't.

Which makes VAR look stupid and pointless using it on that incident.

That was the first time Rashford has took a pen in the Champions League, pretty cool stuff to put it in like he did tbf.

Just like against Barcelona, again in the CL, PSG are robbed of a victory by the ref., if it happens a third time questions will have to be answered.

Credit to Man U though for making the best of their luck.....Fergie forever.

1 minute ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Easy to say now, but you just sensed they had bottled it. I genuinely think we would have scored from the corner even had the VAR penalty not been awarded. 

Ha ha ha ha. Come on now!

They spurned a number of chances, had no composure up top at all throughout - particularly from crosses.

You defended brilliantly after Bailly bailed but you were gifted 2 and possibly a 3rd.

Maybe that’s what you deserved given the attitude a 3rd string side showed.

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Ha ha ha ha. Come on now!

They spurned a number of chances, had no composure up top at all throughout - particularly from crosses.

You defended brilliantly after Bailly bailed but you were gifted 2 and possibly a 3rd.

Maybe that’s what you deserved given the attitude a 3rd string side showed.

Yes it is rare for me to write off our chances but to win there 3-1 with a third string team is beyond ridiculous. 

The enforced rest at this stage of the season to Martial, Lingard, Herrera and Matic could be crucial. Pogba needs to turn up now in the quarters. 

FWIW refs weren't in favour of VAR (and from occasional chats with them, still aren't) but they have no choice other than to use it when its there. Couple of points on last night...

• The assistant ref may well have been the one to say to the ref "have a look at that - may have been handball" That's why they're all mic'd up
  • Doesn't matter whether the shot was on target, over the bar or hitting the corner flag
  • On balance, probably JUST a penalty. The arm was left out in an "unnatural position" which under FIFA guidelines means its handball (irrespective of whether you've turned your back). Keep your arms at your side and you don't run the risk of putting the ref in a position to make that decision

But, beyond that, what a week of football...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

If that penalty decision was given against my team I’d probably sack football off. As it was PSG we can all laugh our dicks off. Hopefully something just as snide happens to City now.

Respect. Ole’s side is capable of beating city for you to benefit from in the PL. 

5 hours ago, thomam said:

FWIW refs weren't in favour of VAR (and from occasional chats with them, still aren't) but they have no choice other than to use it when its there. Couple of points on last night...

• The assistant ref may well have been the one to say to the ref "have a look at that - may have been handball" That's why they're all mic'd up
  • Doesn't matter whether the shot was on target, over the bar or hitting the corner flag
  • On balance, probably JUST a penalty. The arm was left out in an "unnatural position" which under FIFA guidelines means its handball (irrespective of whether you've turned your back). Keep your arms at your side and you don't run the risk of putting the ref in a position to make that decision

But, beyond that, what a week of football...

The back turning was nowt to do with the rules, it's to do with him being a wendy of a defender.

If he'd faced up and nae turned his back he'd have had a chance of getting his arm out of the way, or at least dropping it into a "natural" position.

Turning his back and leaving it waving was pish defending......and risky.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

If that penalty decision was given against my team I’d probably sack football off. As it was PSG we can all laugh our dicks off. Hopefully something just as snide happens to City now.

Can I ask why those two clubs? Why not United or Barca? 

37 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

The back turning was nowt to do with the rules, it's to do with him being a wendy of a defender.

If he'd faced up and nae turned his back he'd have had a chance of getting his arm out of the way, or at least dropping it into a "natural" position.

Turning his back and leaving it waving was pish defending......and risky.

Shite defending - yes.

Penalty? - I don’t think so but I’ve seen worse decisions.

Interesting perspective from Peter Walton (PL ref until a couple of years ago)

1) not even a doubt in his mind that it was a penalty because the arm was raised and away from the body 

2) the back turn (shite defending aside) actually made it more likely to be awarded because the player is then unable to attempt to get his arms out of the way (or at least be seen to be trying to)

Just for laughs, from 1st June the laws may be "clarified" further so than ANY contact between ball and hand outside of the body's "natural silhouette" - i.e. hands at your side - will be a handball....

1 minute ago, thomam said:

Interesting perspective from Peter Walton (PL ref until a couple of years ago)

1) not even a doubt in his mind that it was a penalty because the arm was raised and away from the body 

2) the back turn (shite defending aside) actually made it more likely to be awarded because the player is then unable to attempt to get his arms out of the way (or at least be seen to be trying to)

Just for laughs, from 1st June the laws may be "clarified" further so than ANY contact between ball and hand outside of the body's "natural silhouette" - i.e. hands at your side - will be a handball....

Dear Jesus - “natural silhouette”!!!

That’s Steve McNulty fucked.

• Haha 1
On 3/7/2019 at 3:57 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

A quite brilliant piece by the Manchester Evening News on the pointlessness of PSG: 

The moment Di Maria knew what he lost by giving up on Man Utd 
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-psg-di-maria-15936180#ICID=ios_FUNewsApp_AppShare_Click_MessageShare

Keep thinking of this after reading that : -

image.png.5a96b3fdccb6772b89a966bd7a499d03.png