Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

1 hour ago, bobfan1976 said:

1999 is almost twenty years ago now, 1996 almost a quarter of a century. That's pretty archival to me!  Be happy with anything post '78. I don't need, or want, another '78 show personally,

I get what you are saying, however for me there is a very clear difference in the live shows from the 70's and 80's to the shows done after.  Bruce changed his single style a lot in some cases (twang) which is grating to me, plus his voice even when using normal delivery had changed for the worse so even thought it was still decent, it just doesn't have the same power and sound as it had earlier. This happens to ALL artists and while I obviously enjoy what I call "new" stuff meaning post 99, it doesn't compare to the power and sheer explosiveness as the earlier shows.   I happen to think the Prove It 78 version is the best live performance of any song by any artist ever.  No song has ever been so improved or expanded on better from studio to live performance in my opinion and that tour is probably my favorite tour by any band ever as well.

I suppose a lot of it has to do with what you grew up listening to and when you became a fan.  I was listening to Bruce since I can remember as my parents and aunts were huge fans so Bruce was ALWAYS playing in the house or cars (8-tracks!) and later as a teen I started getting the live shows from that era and it blew me away.

If this archive series released the entire 78 tour I would buy every single show and be the happiest person in the world.  As I would for any tour up through BITUSA.  '88 while still great had already begun the drop off in quality for me.  

Having said all that I get that not everyone feels the way I do, so I still support and buy the solo and post 99 shows even if they do not compare to the earlier shows for me and am happy they are doing this at all.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I wouldn't be opposed to this show being released tomorrow at all: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/1979/richfield-coliseum-richfield-oh-33d7a819.html

Oh no it has Santa Claus on there, some board members will riot if this is chosen!!!  :D

• Like 1

Years not covered at all: 1981, 1985, 1992, 1999, 2002, 2003. I think that's it, although I may have missed a few; did the Joad tour run on until 1997? Also, would the 2004 Vote for Change tour qualify for an Archive release, or do all the guest spots make it non-starter? Is there anybody who would like to see a 2004 release?

46 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

Years not covered at all: 1981, 1985, 1992, 1999, 2002, 2003. I think that's it, although I may have missed a few; did the Joad tour run on until 1997? Also, would the 2004 Vote for Change tour qualify for an Archive release, or do all the guest spots make it non-starter? Is there anybody who would like to see a 2004 release?

Im still hoping for an early 73-75 release in the future although im guessing its not likely

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobfan1976 said:

Years not covered at all: 1981, 1985, 1992, 1999, 2002, 2003. I think that's it, although I may have missed a few; did the Joad tour run on until 1997? 

Joad Tour was from end of 1995 until Spring 1997 (with a few long breaks during the tour). The shows from the last leg in 1997 are not considered the best shows of the tour, however.

Also no shows yet from 1976 and 1979 ( only 3 shows in 1979, last Darkness Tour show on 1 Januari 1979 and the 2 No Nukes shows).

5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I wouldn't be opposed to this show being released tomorrow at all: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/1979/richfield-coliseum-richfield-oh-33d7a819.html

Well then, after they see this I am sure they will scrap whatever plans they have and scurry to fulfill your request. Yes, that is what I am sure of.

52 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Are you going to post this in response to every poster who says which show they'd like to see released from now on? 

Wembley 2002! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I'll be happy (I assume...?) with absolutely anything released. But of those years, 1981 and 1985 are definitely the ones I'd like most at this point, followed by a 1999. 

• Like 1

Personally, I love the Asbury Park '96 shows. We got such rare and delightful versions of some of his great early favorites, both acoustic favorites  like Saint in the City, Bus Stop, and Growin' Up, and then songs we hear with the band all the time but were a treat to hear so wonderfully in a scaled-down fashion, like Blinded,  For You, Spirit in the Night, Sandy, and my personal favorite, Rosie. Plus we got perennial acoustic favorites like Atlantic City, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Born in the USA,  The Promised Land and Racing in the Street on piano! I'd be happy with any one of them, although the last is probably the most likely one. 

I also second 9/24/99 in Philly. A funny and powerful night after a milestone in Bruce's life. 

And of course, Wembley 2002 all the way!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThunderRosalita said:

Personally, I love the Asbury Park '96 shows. We got such rare and delightful versions of some of his great early favorites, both acoustic favorites  like Saint in the City, Bus Stop, and Growin' Up, and then songs we hear with the band all the time but were a treat to hear so wonderfully in a scaled-down fashion, like Blinded,  For You, Spirit in the Night, Sandy, and my personal favorite, Rosie. Plus we got perennial acoustic favorites like Atlantic City, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Born in the USA,  The Promised Land and Racing in the Street on piano! I'd be happy with any one of them, although the last is probably the most likely one. 

See this is why I don't like listening to bootlegs anymore, because the 26/11/96 show has pretty perfect audio and I've overplayed it to death! :lol: So I wouldn't be able to get massively enthused about a show I've heard so much being released... yet.

5 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

Would love a 2004 VFC show.  The Neil Young show or the Eddie Vedder one please!!

it sounded like crap.  If this was my first introduction to the Winterland show I would not be impressed.

While I didn't hear it, someone listened to the Roxy show they played earlier and it sounded worse than the boot he had.