Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Bear Down Boss said:

Pretty much ... yes.  But even on Satellite the newer/remastered versions sound much better than the old boots.

Wait...you preferred the versions played on SiriusXM to your existing boots?  Because what I heard sounded much worse to my ears.  I have those radio shows embedded in my brain from constant listening and i always sought out the best available versions whenever a new one would pop up and I was decidedly not impressed when listening to the broadcast.  Maybe I need new ears?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

Wait...you preferred the versions played on SiriusXM to your existing boots?  Because what I heard sounded much worse to my ears.  I have those radio shows embedded in my brain from constant listening and i always sought out the best available versions whenever a new one would pop up and I was decidedly not impressed when listening to the broadcast.  Maybe I need new ears?

Sorry ... i was referring to some of the leser quality (audience recorder) boots.   I have the Prodigal Son one from Winterland .. that one is pretty good as i remember it (have not listened to it in awhile).

I was just saying that the ones released through Nugs so far have been better than a lot of the older boots.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

Pretty sure the version they played was the non speed corrected one

Oy. That turned me off that boot for years—could not understand the fuss when it just sounded so awful to me. 

• Like 1
Just now, Bear Down Boss said:

Sorry ... i was referring to some of the leser quality (audience recorder) boots.   I have the Prodigal Son one from Winterland .. that one is pretty good as i remember it (have not listened to it in awhile).

I was just saying that the ones released through Nugs so far have been better than a lot of the older boots.

Oh yeah, I get it now, I misunderstood and agree with you.  They should have played Prodigal Son but they didn't. they chose the old slow tape running version to air which is crazy to me.

This is why the definitive version of Winterland needs to be released by nugs. I know they multitracked that and the next night. I hope I live to hear it in perfect quality.

I mean can you imagine how great it'd be if it was as good as Passaic?

• Like 2

I've been out of the loop all month, busy as hell. I can't even believe it' release day again already tomorrow.

I'll be happy with whatever they give us this time. I'm ready for any show.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I've been out of the loop all month, busy as hell. I can't even believe it' release day again already tomorrow.

I'll be happy with whatever they give us this time. I'm ready for any show.

This is why I love you JF.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:24 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Oh, and...

The six month consistency continues. Add that to how we've got fohguy and his possible inside scoops, who are the real suckers now @nugs? Huh!?

• 4:58pm - Freehold '96 (May 2018)
  • 4:45pm - Boston 2007 (Apr 2018)
  • 4:45pm - Meadowlands, 20/8/84 (March 2018)
  • 4:50pm - Grand Rapids 2005 (Feb 2018)
  • 4:47pm - Brendan Byrne '93 (Jan 2018)
  • 4:51pm - Passaic '78 (Dec 2017)
  • 3:54pm - Jazzfest, N'AWLINS 2006 (Dec 2017)
  • 6:54pm - Stockholm 3/7/88 (Nov 2017)
  • 7:49pm - MSG 1/7/2000 (Oct 2017)
  • 5:10pm - Houston '78 (Sept 2017)
  • 5:45pm - Belfast 1996 (Sept 2017)
  • 8:00 - 8:05pm - '77 shows (Aug 2017)
  • 8:10pm - Philly '09 (July 2017)
  • 4:30 - 4:40pm - Helsinki 2012 (May 2017)
  • 3:00 - 3:10pm - St Louis 2008 (Apr 2017)
  • 7:54pm - Buffalo '09 (Dec 2016)

I'm so excited for 4:45 to 4:58pm today!

• Like 2

Signs seem to be indicating a '78 release (I hope not), but we have three already. Given that Bruce must have performed more shows from 1999 onward, and more shows were recorded from 1999 onward, I would have expected to see more Reunion, and after, shows released in relation to previous tours. Given that, I'm going to be optimistic and say today will see the release of the first Rising tour recording!

6 minutes ago, driveallnight89 said:

I’m buzzing for Archive Day! So we are thinking a 78 show, I’m going to throw a curve ball and say Wemberly 2013- Full Darkness show....

Given that the Rome show was such poor quality audio wise, (still the only post 1980 show I've resold) it feels like there hasn't been a release from this part of the tour at all, so I'd be happy to see that, although the full album shows were the beginning of the end for me in terms of Bruce's contemporary relevance.

32 minutes ago, driveallnight89 said:

I’m buzzing for Archive Day! So we are thinking a 78 show, I’m going to throw a curve ball and say Wemberly 2013- Full Darkness show....

That was a crazy show... 

He played Rosalita like 4th or 5th song in... opened with LOHAD... I seem to remember he started taking signs from about the 2nd or 3rd song in... and after about 10 or 11 songs said they could either keep taking signs all night or play Darkness in its entirety.

I remember that Bruce seemed on edge that night and super intense... 

Great gig.... 

Though I'm still going with Wembley 2002, even if just to be stubborn if nothing else. 

• Like 1
Just now, driveallnight89 said:

It was a crazy gig, really didn’t know what was coming next, it would be great to hear it in great quality again. 

Until he started Darkness all the way through, at which point we had a decent idea of the next song. :P

I agree though... would be a great gig to hear again in great quality, and without the Wembley Stadium Echo! 

3 minutes ago, driveallnight89 said:

Ha I like that Idea! I would like to be surprised by something tonight though. What big iconic shows do we have too look forward too, epics or personal shows that could be released? 

Wembley 2002

Wembley 2013

and some other slightly more minor shows... 

• Haha 1

Sounds good to me! 

Perhaps a box-set type release of all the Wembleys would get it all out of the way. 

• Haha 2

Wembley 5 June 1981, the show from the famous vinyl bootleg Born To Be The Boss.

But if at a certain moment a show from the 1981 European Tour will be released, maybe better a non-UK show.

The 1981 European Tour was very important  to the band (from memory, Dave Marsh also wrote some interesting things about that in his Glory Days book), and the shows were very great shows.

Sadly it seems unlikely shows from the 1981 European Tour were professionally recorded.

• Like 1