Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

5 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

Only the first 45 minutes of the Feb 7th shows is available and will be added to the complete Feb 8th show as a bonus.

I'm ok with this just as long as the 1st and 5th songs according to this: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/1977/palace-theatre-albany-ny-73d01235.html are included. 

But then again, they're both on the Feb 8th show anyway so it doesn't really make a difference seeing as that'll be complete.

11 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I don't know if it's the show you're referring to, but setlist.fm shows only 11 songs played at one with a footnote stating "Setlist is incomplete and is likely out of order as well."

I'm so excited!

Sorry, I was talking about the show on the 7th. Should be good fun, this! 

4 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

Total of 25 shows from all eras already approved for release. First Friday of each month a new archive show will be released maybe the occassional 2nd show per month.

I wonder if this includes pre-E Street eras, i.e. Steel Mill, Castilles etc.? Or if it's just going from '73 onwards.

Great to know these shows will be coming around regularly, even if it does mean the time to listen to some shows we already own will be cut a bit short. 

2 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Is this just from E Street Radio or is there a formal announcement online somewhere?

Brad Serling from Nugs was actually on there to talk about the archives, so it's pretty much official!

Just now, rachelharms said:

Brad Serling from Nugs was actually on there to talk about the archives, so it's pretty much official!

I was just interested in seeing full details of what's being said in one place rather than piecing together these snippets.

Hopefully there will be something soon.

They played Action in the Street and the working version of Something in the Night from the upcoming release on the show. However it was the unmastered versions direct from the cassette before Alschiller worked on them. He is working on them right now for the Friday release.

• Like 1

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):)

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):)

Finally, the most interesting release in the archive series so far (IMO and IF this all is true).

In fact maybe even more interesting than a release of Boston 25 March 1977 which is one of the greatest shows ever but already available on bootlegs in very good sound quality (for the era)(and it seems the Boston 1977 shows were not recorded by Bruce Inc.anyway - at least that was said on this forum a few times).

A release of a show from which there is no known audio -This fact alone makes it the most interesting release so far (Like Doctor Zoom already said).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, unclejosh said:

These shows are sourced from mono cassettes the live engineer made as reference tapes.  No multitracks or stereo soundboards for any 77 shows.  Only the first 45 minutes of the Feb 7th shows is available and will be added to the complete Feb 8th show as a bonus.

I had wondered if they might have soundboard recordings of previously unheard shows that they could release. We now seem to have an answer.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I listened to '77 shows, soooo... how was Something... different from the' 76 versions again? I just can't remember if there was all new music (more like the released version) or if it was more similar to the piano-glockenspiel-trumpet version... 

2 hours ago, unclejosh said:

These shows are sourced from mono cassettes the live engineer made as reference tapes.  No multitracks or stereo soundboards for any 77 shows. 

So even with the Altschiller remixing we shouldn't have too high expectations over the sound quality compared to the modern day downloads? 

Sound was comparable to the 78 Houston audio on the dvd.  Can't remix mono recordings but can clean up and edit out tape flips and other blips that may be on the recording.  They ran the tapes through the Plagent process.

In a surprise announcement on E Street Radio, fans learned that music from the 1977 tour would comprise the next download from the Bruce Springsteen live archive. Combining music from two New York concerts, Albany (February 7) and Rochester (February 8), the upcoming installment presents unheard music: no Albany recording has ever surfaced, and no 1977 performance has ever circulated from a soundboard source.

Speaking with host Jim Rotolo, Nugs.net's Brad Serling said that the 1977 tapes were part of a larger cache of tapes made by Chas Gerber, Springsteen's sound engineer from the middle of 1975 through the spring of 1977. These recordings, made for reference on the fly, are typically in mono and often incomplete: that's the case with Albany (of which about 45 minutes will appear). Rochester, also in mono, runs about two hours and is complete save for a couple of tape flips (post-production magic should make these less noticeable).

Without question, Gerber's tapes are of enormous historical significance, representing an era that fans consider one of Springsteen's most deserving of greater attention. And Friday's release calls on two of the five from 1977 that Serling said he had auditioned, so another release from ’77 isn’t out of the question.

Serling talked at length about the archive program, stating that the release schedule will now target the first Friday of each month for a new concert. Right now, 25 shows have been identified and approved, covering most eras of Springsteen's career. Not every era exists in the archive; the Gerber tapes, however, greatly expand what's available.

Before today, even the existence of an official 1977 recording was an uncertainty. But this release makes more than good on Serling's hint last month that the archive program would soon take a "deep dive." For many fans, '77 is just that.

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...