musicdav24

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

No.... Sleep... Til.... Wembley 02!

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

Gonna buy one show (CD) for my dad but can't decide. Any recommendations which show I should buy from 1978-1981? 

25 minutes ago, biloxiparish said:

Gonna buy one show (CD) for my dad but can't decide. Any recommendations which show I should buy from 1978-1981? 

Wembley 81

Nassau 29 Dec

Nassau 31 Dec

Passaic 20 Sep

Roxy 78

Roxy 7.7.1978, Passaic 19.9.1978 and Nassau 31.12.1980 are the essential shows for every Bruce Springsteen fan if one does not already own them.

Passaic 20.9.1978 is the biggest upgrade in sound compared to what was in circulation (only an audience tape I think? Or a soundboard?). This while Roxy 7.7.1978 and Passaic 19.9.1978 as radio broadcasts were both already available (and much-bootlegged) in good sound quality.

Don't know if this is of any help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Passaic 19/9/78 and Wembley 5/6/81.

Yes. I agree.

I'd add LA 85 and Stockholm 88.

Wembley 81 is the best one for me right now. The 1st set. My God.

• Like 1

I haven't heard them all but other than the radio broadcasts, I don't think LA '88 can ever be beat.

• Like 1

The question was only about shows from 1978, 1980 and 1981.

Thank you all, I've bought earlier some shows for me but nothing from 78-81 era.  I don't know why..

I guess it will be 190978 Passaic as I was already leaning towards that one but gotta listen snippets from Wembley '81 too as I hadn't considered that one yet. Darkness is one of dad's favourites so there must be plenty from that one and Passaic has also Point Blank which is important one in this case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

Yes. I agree.

I'd add LA 85 and Stockholm 88.

Wembley 81 is the best one for me right now. The 1st set. My God.

Wordpress blog ratings aside, I think those 4 really can be looked at as the essential Archive releases so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

I haven't heard them all but other than the radio broadcasts, I don't think LA '88 can ever be beat.

I love it, but it pales in comparison to New York and Stockholm for me. LA still has the best ever "Be True" though. 

Here's hoping 2020 brings us that ToL show with "Walk Like a Man", the missing piece of the Live Downloads puzzle. 

As an aside, it's funny how just talking about these shows on here can change a mindset. For the last week or so I've been feeling like I'm over the Archive Series for now as I'm hype about other things, but in the last five minutes of writing these posts I'm once again excited for the shows to come. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 5:50 PM, lilbud said:

I'd love to see a full release of December 7 2010. The carousel house show. We only have like 5 songs from it available.

Cut it down to the best of each performed, and throw in a little of the soundcheck as well.

I talked about this a couple weeks ago, I'd love to get that. The only live performances of some great songs... Hope they release that someday.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I love it, but it pales in comparison to New York and Stockholm for me. LA still has the best ever "Be True" though.  

Maybe this is a discussion for another thread, but I think I can make a case for New York's 'Be True' being the greatest performance of that song ever. Although LA's is a great version, I do think the MSG performance is the best one ever!

12 minutes ago, 1651997 said:

Maybe this is a discussion for another thread, but I think I can make a case for New York's 'Be True' being the greatest performance of that song ever. Although LA's is a great version, I do think the MSG performance is the best one ever!

Probably would be better suited to Bosstralian's Archive Series Thoughts and Discussion thread, but seeing as it's been started on here it might as well be continued on here. 

I'm just gonna copy and paste from the Definitive Versions blog post as to why I love the LA version the most - it's actually very straightforward!:

There’s very few versions of “Be True” that aren’t great, but there’s something very simplistic about this version that’s the reason why I’ve chosen it as the definitive version. It’s not just the tremendous vocals and E Street Band playing that make this the best in my mind, but it’s Bruce’s interrogative, “alright?!” towards the end of the song that elevates it to a level above. So much so that I’ve found myself saying it every time I listen to the song on the recent Madison Square Garden release – and any other version of it I play. Of course, how fantastic Clarence is with his sax playing and the sublime vocal contributions of Patti alongside Bruce’s are also crucial factors in setting this apart from the rest.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1651997 said:

Detroit 1988? (As released on Chimes of Freedom EP and various other EP's-12"singles.) Even if probably some work-overdubs was done on it in the studio.

Everyone who never saw it also should check the fantastic -not official- video of Be True from Mountain View 2 July 1988 (the show with Walk Like A Man dedicated by Bruce to his father in the audience).

• Like 1

Just now, Lampi said:

Detroit 1988? (As released on Chimes of Freedom EP and various other EP-12"singles.) Even if probably some work-overdubs was done on it in the studio.

Everyone who never saw it also should check the fantastic -not official- video of Be True from Mountain View 2 July 1988 (the show with Walk Like A Man dedicated by Bruce to his father in the audience).

I love that version as well (hell - all the TOL Tour versions are awesome), but I'd take LA's and NYC's version over that one. 

4 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Probably would be better suited to Bosstralian's Archive Series Thoughts and Discussion thread, but seeing as it's been started on here it might as well be continued on here. 

I'm just gonna copy and paste from the Definitive Versions blog post as to why I love the LA version the most - it's actually very straightforward!:

It's amazing that you said that because that's exactly what I do as well haha! I absolutely love that and it's the one thing that makes it a discussion for me. Well, that and the "la la la la laaaaa la la la la la" at the end of the outro. That's awesome and that makes it a great debate for me because both versions are so great with the band and Bruce playing their asses off that I have to (and always like to) focus on the details.

And that is exactly what makes the MSG version win it for me. Because although those two details I mentioned are great, there are some amazing, subtle things on this particular one that hooked me from the first time I heard it. Everytime he sings the chorus, he does it differently, Bruce never repeats the same chorus melody and always adds something. For example, on the first chorus he goes up on "IT to you" and I really liked that, but the other two chorus - oh my.

The second one gave me chills the first time I heard it. The way he anticipates the melody by singing "baby, you prove it to me and I'll prove it... toooooo you" is amazing. And the third one absolutely killed me, mainly because I was already "in the zone" with my eyes closed just feeling the emotion and the intention behind his singing there and because of his "ohh" when he sings "you be true to me and I'll be trueeee... OHH... to youuu". It really destroyed me and I really felt it. I also really like the falsetto on the outro as well, but these are the details that make this one the definite version for me!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 5:57 AM, DennisC said:

Yes, the show is better but they were never gonna release a full show were you cant see Max until the very last song played.

And although the video quality of Largo 1978 is better than the one  from 1980, the camerawork on the latter is far superior.

And even then the cymbal is in the way !!

capture 1.JPG

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Spanish Juannie said:

And even then the cymbal is in the way !!

capture 1.JPG

Same idea

image.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, biloxiparish said:

9/19/78 or 9/20/78.

After those, 12/29/80 or 12/31/80.

Don't bother with the Roxy show, it's mixed terribly.

7 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Here's hoping 2020 brings us that ToL show with "Walk Like a Man", the missing piece of the Live Downloads puzzle. 

As an aside, it's funny how just talking about these shows on here can change a mindset. For the last week or so I've been feeling like I'm over the Archive Series for now as I'm hype about other things, but in the last five minutes of writing these posts I'm once again excited for the shows to come. 

I hate the official Stockholm release passionately. It is the worst mix I have ever heard. There are no keyboards. They're gone, banished, excised. Haven't listened to MSG yet but I'm looking forward to it!

If we're going to get a show with Walk Like a Man, the only choice is opening night.

• Like 2

I would kill if we got another 88 MSG show that included their cover of "Crying" AND the "New York, New York" Outro. I don't think this is likely...

12 hours ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

I hate the official Stockholm release passionately. It is the worst mix I have ever heard. There are no keyboards. They're gone, banished, excised. Haven't listened to MSG yet but I'm looking forward to it!

If we're going to get a show with Walk Like a Man, the only choice is opening night.

Altschiller pretty much kills the horns, too. Toby Scott's live-to-air recording is chuffin' excellent.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

I too dislike the Stockholm '88 release.  Audience mic sounds like crap.  Nils' screwed up effects pedal on the guitar solo on "Tunnel Of Love" just sucks.  And then the Boss-mode warhorses of the latter part of the show just drag on and don't really feel representative of the TOL tour in my opinion.

I don't know if the opening night is the only choice...but any solid show from the US leg (with "Walk Like A Man") would be excellent.