Greasy Lake Community

13 hours ago, davemunday said:

I guess the holiday season being at end of December this year, took them by surprise, and they never had time to prepare a release in advance 

I just snorted tea out of my nose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Marnix said:

The delay it very strange because last year they released 

a first friday Roxy 75 (if i am correct), then Broadway, with Christmas the 2 No Nukes shows and first friday january again a release. So why now a delay ?

Maybe they're running out of decent sounding tapes and the shows need a lot more work to sound half OK? 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, J said:

Maybe they're running out of decent sounding tapes and the shows need a lot more work to sound half OK? 

It sounded like Winterland 15/12 had to be pieced together like a jigsaw. That may be one reason the schedule has gone tits belly up. 

• Love Love Love! 1
1 minute ago, Born To Walk said:

It sounded like Winterland 15/12 had to be pieced together like a jigsaw. That may be one reason the schedule has gone tits belly up. 

Exactly. Stuff like that. 

Then maybe again proof they really don't have that much (anymore) pre-90s, or even pre-Reunion Era, sadly. Especially-but that is only speculating-not really that much outside New Jersey/New York State/Los Angeles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Then maybe again proof they really don't have that much (anymore) pre-90s, or even pre-Reunion Era, sadly. Especially-but that is only speculating-not really that much outside New Jersey/New York State/Los Angeles.

I was thinking this, but if that’s the case then why wouldn’t they spread out the releases a bit more and pad them out with releases from Magic, WOAD or Wrecking Ball in between?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I wonder who has drunk more Kool Aid: Dave Marsh or Erik Flanagan?

Aye. Erik sets the record for most superlatives, per paragraph, in most Bruce reviews. But, he may be on the payroll of course.

Back in the day, under Charles Cross, his writing for Backstreets was much more objective. As Charles was, of course. ;)

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Aye. Erik sets the record for most superlatives, per paragraph, in most Bruce reviews. But, he may be on the payroll of course.

Back in the day, under Charles Cross, his writing for Backstreets was much more objective. As Charles was, of course. ;)

Is he the guy who writes the essays with the archive releases? I gave up on reading them a long time ago as they're a load of bollocks. 

• Like 2

And Erik Flanagan wrote this about Live 1975-85:

'Live 1975-85 is a failure because it didn't deliver what it advertised. The more accurate title, 'One Song From 1975, Skip The Next Two Tours, 1978, 1980, 1981, Not Enough From 1984, Too Much From 1985', just wasn't concise enough. [.....] Almost seven years after its release, I find it impossible to look beyond Live 1975-85's haphazard and often bizarre song selection, its artificially juiced-up drum sound and [....]  Why does the box chronicle so little?'.

That is quite some different writing compared to the archive essays.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Lampi said:

And Erik Flanagan wrote this about Live 1975-85:

'Live 1975-85 is a failure because it didn't deliver what it advertised. The more accurate title, 'One Song From 1975, Skip The Next Two Tours, 1978, 1980, 1981, Not Enough From 1984, Too Much From 1985', just wasn't concise enough. [.....] Almost seven years after its release, I find it impossible to look beyond Live 1975-85's haphazard and often bizarre song selection, its artificially juiced-up drum sound and [....]  Why does the box chronicle so little?'.

That is quite some different writing compared to the archive essays.

Thanks for tracking that down.  More reasons for me to be skeptical of Flanagan, as I am a huge fan of Live 75-85.  Tastes vary of course.

10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

At this point I've kinda accepted the release of 20/8/81 isn't happening, but I've been listening to this a bit the last couple of days and damn, this is great. 

Bruce is singing for a generation that was nearly wasted, and you can hear the soul in his voice.  

That’s a shame if we never get the VETS show or anything else from summer 81. The performance of Ballad of Easy Rider is just breathtakingly beautiful, has moved me to tears on a number of occasions 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I was there, great show and fantastic crowd. Bloody cold though! 

we was there a couple of days later about 20hrs in sweden spent a fortune god it was expensive, the best street burger i have ever had and a concert with Trapped/fade Away and ramrod

9 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Thanks for tracking that down.  More reasons for me to be skeptical of Flanagan, as I am a huge fan of Live 75-85.  Tastes vary of course.

Live 1975-85 still sounds fantastic on vinyl. Great booklet too of course.

And also it led me to wanting more, into buying bootlegs and tape trading.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

I was thinking this, but if that’s the case then why wouldn’t they spread out the releases a bit more and pad them out with releases from Magic, WOAD or Wrecking Ball in between?

That seemed to be the model when they had the releases lined up and lots of people complained that too many of the 'essential' tours eg: 1978 were being ignored. Someone else suggested maybe more recent tours were not selling as much as earlier shows which is why we are now getting more 'classic' shows released. This is all conjecture of course. What isn't conjecture is that you could sit somebody down with no knowledge of Springsteen's music whatsoever and a copy of LIve 75-85 and they would be able to figure out a release schedule based on those recordings alone. At the moment the gaps are clear; '81, '84, 2002/2003.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, J said:

So... Is last Friday's release postponed until later this month or are they skipping January altogether? 

Current release is on HOLD, which seems to me it is waiting on approval. Bruce must have been on vacation.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, J said:

So... Is last Friday's release postponed until later this month or are they skipping January altogether? 

I suspect and hope it will drop this Friday, so it's just delayed by a week. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Maybe to make up for this delay, the First Friday February release will be made available early on Friday 31st January. 
As if. 

Good idea...I just want January as soon as possible.

How about this one, starts with an outstanding cover, with Gary playing a stand up bass. And a very moving first encore song My Beautiful Reward. 

2012-11-17, Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO
Wrecking Ball Tour
Kansas City
Prove It All Night
Candy's Room
She's the One
Hungry Heart
We Take Care of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Death to My Hometown
My City of Ruins
The E Street Shuffle
Fire
Incident on 57th Street
Because the Night
Cover Me
Downbound Train
I'm on Fire
Shackled and Drawn
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Raise Your Hand
The Rising
Badlands
Land of Hope and Dreams
Light of Day
My Beautiful Reward
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

How about this one, starts with an outstanding cover, with Gary playing a stand up bass. And a very moving first encore song My Beautiful Reward. 

It’s shows like this that make me desperate for the whole Wrecking Ball tour to be released - that looks like a cracking show and I’m sure there are tonnes more like that I’ve never heard of before

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

2012-11-17, Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO
Wrecking Ball Tour
Kansas City
Prove It All Night
Candy's Room
She's the One
Hungry Heart
We Take Care of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Death to My Hometown
My City of Ruins
The E Street Shuffle
Fire
Incident on 57th Street
Because the Night
Cover Me
Downbound Train
I'm on Fire
Shackled and Drawn
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Raise Your Hand
The Rising
Badlands
Land of Hope and Dreams
Light of Day
My Beautiful Reward
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

They really need to release the entire Wrecking Ball Tour asap. I looked at this setlist and thought "this would be cool, but it'd probably be a one listen and done like MetLife 2012 from last June". Just get all of it out to avoid that mentality over and over again.