Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

They really need to release the entire Wrecking Ball Tour asap. I looked at this setlist and thought "this would be cool, but it'd probably be a one listen and done like MetLife 2012 from last June". Just get all of it out to avoid that mentality over and over again.

Question, especially for those who love the WB Tour more than I do. Does this not-maybe-mean Metlife 2012 was not a good choice and there should be more releases of 'ordinary' WB shows (which is not the same as shows with a  'standard' setlist, even if there is absolutely nothing wrong with a standard setlist) instead of 'special' shows? As Metlife seems to be one of the shows-together with St. Louis 2008- where the difference of perception and enthousiasm between those who were actually there and all others seems very big. It seems to me, there was much more enthousiasm for Leeds 2013 from those who were not there than for Metlife 2012. (I could be wrong in this as I am writing this down now mostly from memory from what was posted about those shows in their topics the first weeks after their release).

Then of course the preference Bruce himself seems to have for 'special shows' is almost a topic in itself; and something which is indeed discussed from time to time.

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

There's too much from 2012-13 for only a couple more shows - well known and 'obscure' - to be released, like. Releasing every remaining show and giving everyone the option of picking and choosing what they want will prevent tons of inevitable complaining.

He's seriously off key on that one. 

I hope the August 27, 1999 Fleet Center show last of 5 nights in Boston is released one day.  I went to the Thursday, Friday shows and the Boston crowds were high energy.  NYC Serenade & Jungleland that last night was epic! 

On 1/3/2020 at 10:54 PM, Lampi said:

At your request:

We are also still waiting for  the Tunnel Tour video from Los Angeles.

Im  waiting for the D&D dvd 

On 1/7/2020 at 11:48 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

They really need to release the entire Wrecking Ball Tour asap. I looked at this setlist and thought "this would be cool, but it'd probably be a one listen and done like MetLife 2012 from last June". Just get all of it out to avoid that mentality over and over again. 

On 1/7/2020 at 12:27 PM, Lampi said:

Question, especially for those who love the WB Tour more than I do. Does this not-maybe-mean Metlife 2012 was not a good choice and there should be more releases of 'ordinary' WB shows (which is not the same as shows with a  'standard' setlist, even if there is absolutely nothing wrong with a standard setlist) instead of 'special' shows? As Metlife seems to be one of the shows-together with St. Louis 2008- where the difference of perception and enthousiasm between those who were actually there and all others seems very big. It seems to me, there was much more enthousiasm for Leeds 2013 from those who were not there than for Metlife 2012. (I could be wrong in this as I am writing this down now mostly from memory from what was posted about those shows in their topics the first weeks after their release).

Then of course the preference Bruce himself seems to have for 'special shows' is almost a topic in itself; and something which is indeed discussed from time to time.

Moncton !!!! 

• Like 2
On 1/4/2020 at 7:03 AM, Wout said:

Totally expected, unfortunately.

But how come these notifications always come from Backstreets? Why does NUGS not communicate with us directly?

Maybe because we are Danish ;):lol:

:angry: but yes, we deserve the odd scrap of breaking news 

15 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

I hope the August 27, 1999 Fleet Center show last of 5 nights in Boston is released one day.  I went to the Thursday, Friday shows and the Boston crowds were high energy.  NYC Serenade & Jungleland that last night was epic! 

We had a 2 week East Coast Flydrive holiday back in 1999 (Boston, New England, back to Boston, New England, back to Boston, New York, New Jersey, Washington DC, Shenandoah Nat Park, back to Washington DC) and we took in all 5 nights / shows in Boston (awesome) and 3 nights / shows in DC - it was one of the best holidays of my life!

We were at the final 2 nights of the 10 night stand at MSG, NYC (the 2 that make up Live In New York City) in June/July 2000 and as we were shuffling out of the Garden like sheep on that final night of the Reunion Tour an American fan picked up on our accents as we were chatting and said "you over for the shows?" - we said "yeah" - he said "what did you think of that tonight" - we said "Great!" (still buzzing on Lost in the Flood, The Promise (again) and Blood Brothers) - he said "if you think that was good you should've been at Boston last year" - we said "we were" - he said "oh really, what night did you go?" - we said "All of them!" - and with that he just marched away!!? ha!

BUT - there's a great little documentary / extra on the live DVD of U2's Elevation tour (shot at the Fleet Centre, Boston) all about what was involved in filming the gig etc and the narrator ends by saying something along the lines of "a few weeks after the Boston shows U2 would play MSG in New York and a show that many within their camp consider to be one of the best shows they have ever played...…...just goes to show that sometimes you never have the camera's there when you need them!"...……….and that brings me to my point and your comment - I felt that Bruce picked the wrong venue to capture the Reunion tour, that he and U2 could have switched and they both would have ended up with a better document!

The only trouble with the nugs releases (over the old good quality boots) is that they never capture that "crowd" or atmosphere properly!        

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Most likely had his review written for a week.

Probably even longer than just one week before the release.

But maybe he really writes them very fast; or he makes rough 'first versions'  maybe even months before the release; and finishes them after the product is completely ready and approved. (this all just speculation of course)

19 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Probably even longer than just one week before the release.

But maybe he really writes them very fast; or he makes rough 'first versions'  maybe even months before the release; and finishes them after the product is completely ready and approved. (this all just speculation of course)

Once again, nice for some writers...

Imagine doing that though, writing a blog post in advance to get it out asap when the show is released. You wouldn't see me doing that in July 2018 for The Roxy '78 or doing that in November 2019 in preparation for a potential Vietnam Vets release somewhere down the road. Nope, not me. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 1/8/2020 at 4:05 AM, sleepyjoe said:

Personally NJ 1999/08/11 is better than this concert in Boston! they were more working on NYC Serenade and its rendition is a bizarre mix between the Philly and Chicago version (the first appearance of NYC Serenade at NJ is more spontaneous)

Still, it's one of the best version (very probably the best with NY 2000/06/27) of Adam Raised a Cain

Plus, we got Sandy, Night, Trapped.. Or why not the Philly birthday show from Reunion Tour (with a great Fever)

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 12:05 AM, sleepyjoe said:

The CANDY'S ROOM opener on that final night was incendiary and "set the tone" (I believe it was the Thurs show, your other night, that opened with BACKSTREETS which was an amazing way to start a show!)...…….it was a fantastic week in Boston, we broke the bank on that reunion tour doing 34 shows in 15 months in 7 countries including 3 separate trips to the States - from the first 2 shows in Barcelona to the final 2 nights at MSG, NYC and although there are many terrific memories there are none better than the 5 nights in Boston!

I did quite a bit of filming in Boston & Washington (and Earls Court, London, Berlin, Paris, Dallas, Little Rock, New Orleans) a lot of which made it out there on VHS tape back in the day - but the problem was in was a copy of a copy (and sometimes of a copy!) and even the "original" would have been a transfer from the camera tape to original VHS tape - but all subsequent copies out there would then have been copies of that original VHS tape!...…...losing quality each time along the way (and probably getting ghosting etc). Obviously even thee absolute original (the camera tape) wouldn't be of the quality that we all enjoy today (it was 20 years ago!!!) - but - I sometimes think about trying to get to grips with "HOW" I can upload those original camera tapes on-line!!?

In the meantime here is what looks like a 3rd or 4th generation copy to me of MY footage from that final night opener in Boston 21 years ago - hope it brings back memories for you! :

SORRY - I was going to paste here footage I'd seen on you tube (about a year ago) of my filming of Candys Room but I can't find it anywhere out there now!!? (makes me want to learn how to upload the "originals" even more! ha!) - sorry, foiled. 

5 minutes ago, lilbud said:

We should wait for official word from Nugs. That was just a hypothetical statement

Backstreets has always been the mouthpiece for Bruce Inc,  Nugs simply posts the files provided by them. In the beginning, nugs was far more involved.  Now the bottleneck is Bruce/Landau in terms of selecting, mixing, mastering etc.

I only think this info was given to assume its off this month. 

• Sad 1