Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I’m just thankful that they put on an extra show on the Saturday. I remember watching TV at home a few months earlier and Harvey Goldsmith was on a UK chat show promoting Bruce and saying due to demand they were putting on an extra show at Wembley. The first two shows had already sold out I believe and as those were evening shows on school nights, the Saturday afternoon show with the early finish was perfect! And it was a hot sunny day. 

I was 12 years old and had recently bought BITUSA on cassette and loved it so much I saved up my paper round money to buy Darkness, The River, BTR, Greetings and WIESS also on cassette. I had no idea Bruce was coming to the UK to tour until Goldsmith spoke about it. Then after the TV programme they put up a box office hotline number and my mum eventually got through and got us 2 tickets. I was mesmerised, overawed and hooked. That 6th July 1985 show was the greatest day of my young life. 

The River on a cassette ... I can still hear the squeaky sound and remember how long it took to rewind. :)

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I was mesmerised, overawed and hooked. That 6th July 1985 show was the greatest day of my young life. 

I'm sure you were - and you would have been at ANY of those 3 nights (at that age...……..well any age! ha!) - there really wasn't much to choose between them! I was 27 and it was the greatest buzz I'd felt since I'd first seen The Who across the way at the then Empire Pool, Wembley ten years earlier in 1975 at the tender age of 17 (when they were all about 29-32, the energy was off the scale!) - that night for me was life changing and put me on a path/life of gigging and chasing that buzz which becomes more and more elusive now with age (and hundreds of gigs by scores of artists under ones belt).

Nice that you have such a life moment memory with your Mum as well - my Mum became a bit of a fan of Bruce (through me) and I was going to take her to a show "on the next tour" (which as it turned out would have been the 1992 "other" band tour) but we lost her in 1991 so we never had that Bruce show together (when LT & HT came out I knew from first listen that "her" song on there would have been I Wish I Were Blind - I love it myself - I did 13 shows with that band and have seen Bruce 114 times in all and have NEVER heard that song live!!!...…..maybe just as well?)   

• Like 5

I'd really like a live version of "I'll Work For Your Love."  Some might disagree but I think its a great track. 

Maybe they could just release the entire Magic Tour.  Also the entire Devil's & Dust tour while they're at it...

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
25 minutes ago, crdowning said:

I'd really like a live version of "I'll Work For Your Love."  Some might disagree but I think its a great track

Buffalo 2009 is your friend then. 

I go on a bit much for even my liking about these guides and I'm fully aware that I only bumped the respective thread the other day, but if there's ever any curiosity as to what songs have a live version officially available, these can help: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/category/the-definitive-version-of-every-song-from-springsteens-archive-series/

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Buffalo 2009 is your friend then.

Ah!  Forgot about that one.   I even own it already, lol.  Thanks Paolo!

Now, that being said... they could release more live versions of it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
20 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Wembley 06/07/85 is the new must Wembley release! 

Gets my vote.

Do you remember the idiot that climbed the scaffolding onto the canvas roof of the stage? I think it was during DITD.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Gets my vote.

Do you remember the idiot that climbed the scaffolding onto the canvas roof of the stage? I think it was during DITD.

Yes I do! I saw the guy make a run for it from the GA pitch section and if I remember rightly he was bare chested with a baseball cap on and his cap dropped down onto the stage. I kept thinking he is going to fall through the roof and land on the stage killing or injuring himself or a member of the band. It was definitely during dancing in the dark. What an absolute bell end. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Yes I do! I saw the guy make a run for it from the GA pitch section and if I remember rightly he was bare chested with a baseball cap on and his cap dropped down onto the stage. I kept thinking he is going to fall through the roof and land on the stage killing or injuring himself or a member of the band. It was definitely during dancing in the dark. What an absolute bell end. 

:D

Not listened to the boot in a while, but I'm pretty sure during the song there is cheering at an odd part of it, and that's why.

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

If the 49ers win it'll be something from 2006 - 2009, if the Chiefs win it's 1981 - 1985. 

maybe,  love a fall 07 show with Racing.

Have a feelin the Chiefs will win....so East Ruthrford July '81 with Racing.

• Like 1