Greasy Lake Community

My vote is for the last night of the River tour, better yet the last two nights in a package.  I was at both, incredible shows.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/1981/riverfront-coliseum-cincinnati-oh-7bd7aef8.html

Second to last night.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/1981/riverfront-coliseum-cincinnati-oh-6bd7aefa.html

• Like 3
  • Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

I wish for Nijmegen 2013. From that show doesn’t circulate a full bootleg. And it was a great show with the accoustic version The ghost of TomJoad as opener, So Young And in love as sign request, a full Darkness set. And when it starts raining halfway  the show the crowd and the ESB gets more energy. Or to quote Springsteen: It ain’t raining hard enough !! 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I'd love an early Wrecking Ball Tour show, from the first leg in 2012. I'm thinking maybe Madison Square Garden 2012-04-06, with 8 tracks from Wrecking Ball and one of the only ever performances of 'Lion's Den', a personal favourite! :lol:

2012-04-06 - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, NEW YORK CITY, NY

Soundcheck: INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET

BADLANDS / WE TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN / WRECKING BALL / OUT IN THE STREET / DEATH TO MY HOMETOWN / MY CITY OF RUINS / MURDER INCORPORATED / JOHNNY 99 / JACK OF ALL TRADES / SHACKLED AND DRAWN / LION'S DEN / EASY MONEY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / THE PROMISED LAND / THE WAY YOU DO THE THINGS YOU DO - 634-5789 (SOULSVILLE, U.S.A.) / AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS) / LONESOME DAY / THE RISING / WE ARE ALIVE / THUNDER ROAD / ROCKY GROUND / KITTY'S BACK / BORN TO RUN / DANCING IN THE DARK / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT

First night in New York and Madison Square Garden is treated to a 2 hours 45 minute show with two tour premieres including perhaps the biggest surprise of the tour to date, "Lion's Den", which has only been played three times previously on the Reunion tour. Bruce and Band enter the stage with the lights on and the music of "New York, New York" playing. Surprisingly "Badlands" opens the set, displacing "We Take Care Of Our Own" which has been ever-present in that slot so far. An excellent "Murder Incorporated" is the other tour debut. "My City Of Ruins" includes "People Get Ready". "Shackled And Drawn" makes a welcome return, and the encores include "Kitty's Back".

On 2/22/2020 at 1:54 PM, lilbud said:

Another bet for Vietnam Vets show.

Main Point 75

Summer 2012 (either gothenburg or Boston 2)

I've lost all confidence that they have the Vets show. It'd be nice if they actually said as much.

1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

I've lost all confidence that they have the Vets show. It'd be nice if they actually said as much.

I don't think they'll ever come out and say "we don't have this show or that show at all".

I'm guessing since it's a pretty significant show, they are saving it for a good time.

Probably falls into that special category of shows that they don't have all that many of, so they hold off on dropping them all on consecutive months. To make them seem more special when they get released

5 hours ago, lilbud said:

I don't think they'll ever come out and say "we don't have this show or that show at all".

I'm guessing since it's a pretty significant show, they are saving it for a good time.

Probably falls into that special category of shows that they don't have all that many of, so they hold off on dropping them all on consecutive months. To make them seem more special when they get released

Nice reasoning, but I can't think when it would be a good time. Everyone wants it and there's a fair chance that it would be their best seller as it's the show that the fans have asked for more than any other.

59 minutes ago, lilbud said:

51 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Nice reasoning, but I can't think when it would be a good time. Everyone wants it and there's a fair chance that it would be their best seller as it's the show that the fans have asked for more than any other.

I think it’s pretty clear they don’t have it in a quality they think worthy of release. The number of river shows released is quite small (compared to say darkness) and it seems like this would have been a high priority if they had it - rather than say 12/29/80 etc. 

That said I don’t think they will every say they don’t have it, as it’s pretty clear they are continuing to look for and acquire things when possible, so they may one day find it. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Wbt774 said:

When purchasing these shows, can anyone explain in layman’s terms what’s the difference between ALAC and ALAC HD? Is ALAC HD worth it?

In my opinion, definitely if you have a high resolution digital audio player. Ever realised you are watching TV in standard definition and then turned over to continue watching that same programme on the HD channel? It’s the audio equivalent of that difference. 

14 hours ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

I think it’s pretty clear they don’t have it in a quality they think worthy of release. The number of river shows released is quite small (compared to say darkness) and it seems like this would have been a high priority if they had it - rather than say 12/29/80 etc. 

That said I don’t think they will every say they don’t have it, as it’s pretty clear they are continuing to look for and acquire things when possible, so they may one day find it. 

I think that is spot on. If they had the show in multi track quality then I think it would have been released by now. But they did a pretty good job polishing up Winterland Night 1, even though it sounds nowhere near as good as Winterland night 2 multi tracks. 

• Like 2

I'm not asking for a hi def, pristine quality version of the Vietnam Vets show. Just a simple, clearer upgrade from the best circulating boot.  So, Nugs, even if you have it in a below par version let us have it. Size doesn't always matter, you know.

• Like 2

As I'm new to this whole bootleg thing and have no idea what your talking about the Vietnam Vet show. All I have to go on is the Winterland shows just released, I've heard the legend of these shows, but when released, not a big deal with me. As I think the two River shows from 12/29/12/31/80 were the best releases to date, with Passiac 20 right behind them. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

As I'm new to this whole bootleg thing and have no idea what your talking about the Vietnam Vet show.

Except for the L.A. Vietnam show being considered one of the greatest shows Bruce Springsteen & The ESB ever played, this:

The sound quality of the circulating tapes of this show do not match with the legendary status of this show. For other famous shows, there are radio broadcasts, high quality soundboards and sometimes (like the Boston 1977 shows) very good audience tapes (especially for the era). The circulating tapes of this show are good, but not excellent and early tapes had even some cuts and edits and some hiss (around the middle of the first set). So, more than any other famous or classic show, this one is in need of an official release with better sound quality.

And also just because of the greatness of the show, the powerful and emotional performances. And because of Ballad Of Easy Rider (but mentioning one song does not justice to the great performances of the other songs). 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Lampi said:

Except for the L.A. Vietnam show being considered one of the greatest shows Bruce Springsteen & The ESB ever played, this:

The sound quality of the circulating tapes of this show do not match with the legendary status of this show. For other famous shows, there are radio broadcasts, high quality soundboards and sometimes (like the Boston 1977 shows) very good audience tapes (especially for the era). The circulating tapes of this show are good, but not excellent and early tapes had even some cuts and edits and some hiss (around the middle of the first set). So, more than any other famous or classic show, this one is in need of an official release with better sound quality.

And also just because of the greatness of the show, the powerful and emotional performances. And because of Ballad Of Easy Rider (but mentioning one song does not justice to the great performances of the other songs). 

Excellent.

• Like 1