• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Lampi said:

A pre-1975 show, a 1976 show or a Steel Mill show would not be 'just another release'. But they wil not do such a thing now.

Still a 1975 show could be a dark horse. That is, Born To Run Tour; the early 1975 shows with Suki Lahav in the band can be considered 'pre-1975', even if they are from 1975. Long time ago there was a 1975 show too.

The 74 shows with Suki can also be considered 'pre-75.'

I’d love anything from the River or BITUSA shows. Honestly, though, I can’t begin to predict what tomorrow will bring - I have every finger crossed for Vietnam Vets ‘81!!

I feel like the Rising tour never gets mentioned (minus the Increasingly less frequent calls for Wembley 2002) and has been rather forgotten due to the technical difficulties, so I’d love a release that puts that back into the limelight - something from early on in the American leg (although I imagine Shea is more likely)

• Like 2

image.png.6b325b6e79b9917745b35be7ab859dea.png

Figured I'd put this up again. I count by whole calendar months, not archive releases. Which is why i'll count January (no release)

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, lilbud said:

image.png.6b325b6e79b9917745b35be7ab859dea.png

Figured I'd put this up again. I count by whole calendar months, not archive releases. Which is why i'll count January (no release)

Wow, I can’t believe that the Tampa ‘08 show was over a year ago, where does the time go??

I’d say that stretch from BITUSA to BTR looks the most likely, although Seeger looks quite ominous 

9 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

something from early on in the American leg (although I imagine Shea is more likely)

Shea stadium. Rarities and 'special guests'. Meh.

Vintage Rising we need. Like you said.

If there will ever be another Rising release.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BobbyJames said:

Wow, I can’t believe that the Tampa ‘08 show was over a year ago, where does the time go??

I’d say that stretch from BITUSA to BTR looks the most likely, although Seeger looks quite ominous 

I think Seeger sessions doesn't get a lot of love because it got an official retail-like release, Live in Dublin dvd & cd. Unlike the 'download only' archive releases.

I honestly think that was meant to be the definitive statement on the entire era. A lot of the shows were kind of similar in setlist, not many true surprises. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Shea stadium. Rarities and 'special guests'. Meh.

Vintage Rising we need. Like you said.

If there will ever be another Rising release.

Exactly my thoughts regarding Shea - I’m sure it’s a great, special show, but I’d love vintage rising - full of emotion. 

4 minutes ago, lilbud said:

I think Seeger sessions doesn't get a lot of love because it got an official retail-like release, Live in Dublin dvd & cd. Unlike the 'download only' archive releases.

I honestly think that was meant to be the definitive statement on the entire era. A lot of the shows were kind of similar in setlist, not many true surprises. 

I’m by no means an expert on the Seeger tour, but I think I understand that the Dublin release and the New Orleans release represent the tour highlights - so, you’re probably right!

Seeger seems ominous all the way up until you play something from the tour. I've never been able to get into LiD ("Atlantic City" aside) so Jazzfest is my go to. 

Jazzfest makes me want more Seeger. It's joyous, it's intense. There's a power to the music coupled with a unity and a desire to be onstage. Are there eras I want above it? Of course, but we shouldn't act like the highlights of 2006 have already been released. The beauty of this Live Downloads project is in how it gifts us gems and jewels within songs and shows we don't expect. I know that's why I'm still invested, even if I don't feel the same way leading up to First Friday and listening to the music that I did a year or two ago. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Seeger seems ominous all the way up until you play something from the tour. I've never been able to get into LiD ("Atlantic City" aside) so Jazzfest is my go to. 

Jazzfest makes me want more Seeger. It's joyous, it's intense. There's a power to the music coupled with a unity and a desire to be onstage. Are there eras I want above it? Of course, but we shouldn't act like the highlights of 2006 have already been released. The beauty of this Live Downloads project is in how it gifts us gems and jewels within songs and shows we don't expect. I know that's why I'm still invested, even if I don't feel the same way leading up to First Friday and listening to the music that I did a year or two ago. 

I don't think that all the highlights from Seeger Sessions have been released, there is probably some really good shows to cover for that tour. I was just thinking about what the official reasoning could be.

• Like 1
Just now, lilbud said:

I was just thinking about what the official reasoning could be

The official reasoning to release a show from that tour is that it's a Bruce Springsteen show. The purpose of the Archive Series is to simply release vaulted live concerts that span his entire career. 

• Like 1
Just now, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The purpose of the Archive Series is to simply release vaulted live concerts that span his entire career. 

*except anything before August 25, 1975 :)

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"a new historic concert"

"Fresh new release"

They refer to "a new historic concert" being released (nearly) every month, not just this month

A "fresh new release" is one that hasn't been released before.

I'd love a "biggy" as much as anyone else, but I'd be wary of building your hopes up too much.

• Like 1

Tonight's the night
It's gonna be alright :)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

I have a theory on this whole nothing-before-1975 thing. Completely speculative, based on only tidbits of info I recall reading over the years that I can't source.

But my understanding is that around the Reunion tour time or so the E Street Band became some sort of legal entity in its own right, comprised of the band members at the time. I recall it being largely so that Bruce couldn't tour with any random bunch of musicians and brand it as 'Bruce S and the E Street Band'.

I wonder if at the time some agreement was put in place around paying said E Street Band entity for any recordings attributed to Bruce and the E Street Band. In effect, any live albums released ( which have all been labelled as BS&ESB when featuring the band so far). As have all the Nugs releases that feature the E Street Band. Everything else released via Nugs (be it solo, Seeger or Other Band) is only credited to Bruce Springsteen. 

So I wonder if there is an issue around the earlier recordings and how they should be credited. If credited as BS and the E Street Band, people like Nils, Patti, Roy and Max are legally entitled to money on recordings they were never involved in. Equally, labelling them just as Bruce Springsteen is depriving the estates of Danny and Clarence of money they are legally entitled to under any agreements. 

No idea if this is or may be the case, open to everyone to debunk either logically or on basis of any other knowledge 

• Like 3

What that list shows me is how quickly the time goes! I can pretty much recall where I was, and what I was doing for most releases. I think they haven’t released pre-75 because they don’t think they’ll shift many units, but who knows?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

I’d love anything from the River or BITUSA shows. Honestly, though, I can’t begin to predict what tomorrow will bring - I have every finger crossed for Vietnam Vets ‘81!!

I feel like the Rising tour never gets mentioned (minus the Increasingly less frequent calls for Wembley 2002) and has been rather forgotten due to the technical difficulties, so I’d love a release that puts that back into the limelight - something from early on in the American leg (although I imagine Shea is more likely)

Wembley 2002!!!!

• Bruuuuce! 1

Honestly, I think the whole "no shows before BTR" thing is simply that they don't have any of those tapes. I mean, the band was broke at the time, and probably didn't have the money to record shows. Maybe they recorded a few, but not alot.

Maybe some 74 and early 75 may have been recorded. And then the tapes from 72 when Bruce was getting signed to Columbia. But other than that, I don't think that they ever had many tapes from that era due to expense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1