Greasy Lake Community

I tried to watch the Barcelona show the other night and had to turn it off within a few minutes because the editing was so frantic. How the hell can concert video editors have watched The Last Waltz and Stop Making Sense and still believe the most effective style is to cut to a new shot every other second? Absolutely bizarre.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

I tried to watch the Barcelona show the other night and had to turn it off within a few minutes because the editing was so frantic. How the hell can concert video editors have watched The Last Waltz and Stop Making Sense and still believe the most effective style is to cut to a new shot every other second? Absolutely bizarre.

It's absolutely horrendous filmmaking and I've never watched anything that's been improved by so many rapid camera cuts. I remember sticking Queen Live at Wembley 1986 on a while back and that suffers the same problem.  

Unfortunately that doesn't just apply to concert camerawork either, below is one of the main reasons why WWE's viewership declines on a weekly basis...

I must admit to adoring that DVD because few films come so close as to feeling you're part of the crowd. I really enjoy hoe the crowd is so if front in the cuts and the audio.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

few films come so close as to feeling you're part of the crowd

Agree!

SOB - Something is missing. Feels a little empty.

Live in NYC2000 - Strange compilation, not a good concert movie.

London Calling - A little better.

Tempe 1980 - This is the best. I really love it. And it is 40 years ago .....

9 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's absolutely horrendous filmmaking and I've never watched anything that's been improved by so many rapid camera cuts. I remember sticking Queen Live at Wembley 1986 on a while back and that suffers the same problem.  

If you watch the lesser known Friday 11/7 show that came as a bonus disc in 2011 you'll notice they used way fewer cameras, and that means much less camera cuts. They filmed it as a "rehearsal" for the next night and not only is the performance better but the filmmaking is waaay better without those rapid camera cuts that I also don't really like.

And I get why some people enjoy so many camera cuts, it also makes me feel more involved sometimes. But I think that what I really like for a concert film is that middle ground. Not stagnant but not too much, otherwise it gets distracting. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jepweb said:

Agree!

SOB - Something is missing. Feels a little empty.

Live in NYC2000 - Strange compilation, not a good concert movie.

London Calling - A little better.

Tempe 1980 - This is the best. I really love it. And it is 40 years ago .....

Don’t forget Hammersmith 1975. A historic film well made despite the dim lighting. And impeccable sound. My 1080i version is also a much clearer picture than the grainy DVD. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

Absolutely. Well said.

15 hours ago, 1651997 said:

If you watch the lesser known Friday 11/7 show that came as a bonus disc in 2011 you'll notice they used way fewer cameras, and that means much less camera cuts. They filmed it as a "rehearsal" for the next night and not only is the performance better but the filmmaking is waaay better without those rapid camera cuts that I also don't really like.

...wait, what's this now?

I’m really looking forward to this weeks release. With everything going on in the news, it just feels right and something positive to look forward to... regardless of the era they choose to release

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

...wait, what's this now?

Uh... which part? :lol:

5 minutes ago, musicdav24 said:

I’m really looking forward to this weeks release. With everything going on in the news, it just feels right and something positive to look forward to... regardless of the era they choose to release

I agree!

1 minute ago, 1651997 said:

Uh... which part? :lol:

This part: "If you watch the lesser known Friday 11/7 show that came as a bonus disc in 2011"

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, lilbud said:

This part: "If you watch the lesser known Friday 11/7 show that came as a bonus disc in 2011"

Well, for the 25th anniversary of the Wembley concert Queen released a remastered DVD package. This included, of course, the huge, famous Saturday 1986-7-12 concert remastered in DVD in great quality. But it also contained a bonus disc that included a documentary, some footage of the Magic Tour rehearsals and the first night of the stand, the Friday show 1986-7-11. That was filmed as a rehearsal for the world broadcast that was the Saturday show and that Friday show was officialy realeased for the first time in that box. 

They used less cameras but they filmed it to figure out the cuts, where to stand, the tape flips etc... But I actually like it better than the famous Saturday show, not only the performance as well as the filmmaking. Here's one of my favourite clips from that Friday show. :)

• Like 1
On 6/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, Scott Peterson said:

If you don’t like quick edits, you’ll hate this:

• Love Love Love! 1
48 minutes ago, musicdav24 said:

Well something with 41 Shots or Code of Silence would be nothing positive with whats going on. So maybe something from 84-85. Where he will sing about "His Hometown " that spilled over to my hometown. 

• Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, 1651997 said:

Well, for the 25th anniversary of the Wembley concert Queen released a remastered DVD package. This included, of course, the huge, famous Saturday 1986-7-12 concert remastered in DVD in great quality. But it also contained a bonus disc that included a documentary, some footage of the Magic Tour rehearsals and the first night of the stand, the Friday show 1986-7-11. That was filmed as a rehearsal for the world broadcast that was the Saturday show and that Friday show was officialy realeased for the first time in that box. 

They used less cameras but they filmed it to figure out the cuts, where to stand, the tape flips etc... But I actually like it better than the famous Saturday show, not only the performance as well as the filmmaking. Here's one of my favourite clips from that Friday show. :)

...OH. Well, dammit. I thought we were talking about a previously unknown to me bonus disc which held a little seen Bruce show. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

An exception to the rule on account of arguably being the greatest scene in any Western film ever. 

You are priceless my friend...more of this. More Wrestling. More of you please.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

...OH. Well, dammit. I thought we were talking about a previously unknown to me bonus disc which held a little seen Bruce show. 

Haha! That's why I was confused by your question! I figured we weren't talking about the same thing :lol:

1 hour ago, 1651997 said:

I forgot that day and month are flipped over in Europe. I thought you were talking about video of November 7th 2009 with Bruce at Madison Square Garden

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

An exception to the rule on account of arguably being the greatest scene in any Western film ever. 

If you can't stand this, I would point to the 10 minutes introduction scene from the same directors (Sergio Leone) own 'Once upon a time in the west'  - a timeless classic in my opinion - however not the massacred / shortened US version ...

• Like 2
On 6/9/2020 at 11:02 AM, Scott Peterson said:

Then there is the scene from Taken 3 with like 15 cuts in 6 seconds to show Liam Neeson jumping a fence