Greasy Lake Community

36 minutes ago, theseshadows said:

If you can't stand this, I would point to the 10 minutes introduction scene from the same directors (Sergio Leone) own 'Once upon a time in the west'  - a timeless classic in my opinion - however not the massacred / shortened US version ...

Funnily enough that opening scene of Once Upon a Time in the West is why I said "arguably" about the duel scene of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

And, obviously, "arguably" because of Claudia Cardinale's introduction scene in Once Upon a Time in the West as well. 

Or any scene with Claudia Cardinale, actually. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

An exception to the rule on account of arguably being the greatest scene in any Western film ever. 

You mean, greatest scene in any film ever.

Incidentally also shot in the same country as Live In Barcelona.  What a difference a director makes.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

You mean, greatest scene in any film ever.

Incidentally also shot in the same country as Live In Barcelona.  What a difference a director makes.

I mean, yeah, if we're discounting the Claudia Cardinale scenes in Once Upon a Time in the West :lol:

There's a good documentary on Netflix I watched towards the end of May called Sad Hill Unearthed - if you haven't already seen it. It follows four or five Spanish lads who were trying to restore the cemetery from The Duel scene to look identical for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly's 50th anniversary. 

As well as that it ends up essentially being a "making of" documentary about the film as a whole, including interviews with notable names involved in the film and some canny anecdotes about certain scenes and Leone's direction of them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I mean, yeah, if we're discounting the Claudia Cardinale scenes in Once Upon a Time in the West :lol:

Yes Paolo - the most beautiful movie lead of all time and one hell of an actor! I still get goosebumps watching that scene of her leaving the train as the main theme plays. Arguably, for me, it rivals the Ecstasy of Gold scene from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Coincidentally, I have Once Upon a Time in the West recorded - waiting for the right evening so that I can fully enjoy re-watching.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Yes Paolo - the most beautiful movie lead of all time and one hell of an actor! I still get goosebumps watching that scene of her leaving the train as the main theme plays. Arguably, for me, it rivals the Ecstasy of Gold scene from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Coincidentally, I have Once Upon a Time in the West recorded - waiting for the right evening so that I can fully enjoy re-watching.

Claudia Cardinale vs Grace Kelly is cinema's greatest ongoing battle. And yeah, that moment where the main theme kicks in and the camera rises to show Flagstone that's Film ESSENCE, that. 

You've got the right idea to wait for the perfect moment, it's one of those films - as is TGTBATU - that shouldn't be over-watched and deserves the right occasion. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Man, I need to watch that Budapest show again at some point. A banger. 

Indeed it is! Amazing performance.

3 hours ago, lilbud said:

I forgot that day and month are flipped over in Europe. I thought you were talking about video of November 7th 2009 with Bruce at Madison Square Garden

I always forget about that, I'm sorry about the confusion.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lilbud said:

I forgot that day and month are flipped over in Europe.

No, day and month are flipped over in the U.S.A.

Just like in the U.K. everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road (and not vice versa).

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Why should the secret be revealed two days early?

Some releases had leaked i think ? Just hoping:D 

Btw, you sometimes guess correctly some releases in the past or i'm wrong?!  Still, i would be (very) curious about this friday release

3 minutes ago, mxschrtt said:

Some releases had leaked i think ? Just hoping:D 

Btw, you sometimes guess correctly some releases in the past or i'm wrong?!  Still, i would be (very) curious about this friday release

Some did leak on E Street radio a day or two before. But I don't think we've had an honest to god leak in a while.

2 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Some did leak on E Street radio a day or two before. But I don't think we've had an honest to god leak in a while.

I think NJ 81 (the last release) has leaked ? But it was the day of the release few hours earlier

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

There's a good documentary on Netflix I watched towards the end of May called Sad Hill Unearthed - if you haven't already seen it. It follows four or five Spanish lads who were trying to restore the cemetery from The Duel scene to look identical for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly's 50th anniversary. 

As well as that it ends up essentially being a "making of" documentary about the film as a whole, including interviews with notable names involved in the film and some canny anecdotes about certain scenes and Leone's direction of them. 

I’ll check it out!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mxschrtt said:

I think NJ 81 (the last release) has leaked ? But it was the day of the release few hours earlier

It was leaked on ESR about 20 minutes before the premier that day.

ESR always gets it earlier than us, so they can download it for 12:00 concert 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

That scene Cardinale leaving the train:  ...There is no music or noise at all for some moments.  Jill's theme just starts with the glockenspiel as she moves forward to the rail station. . A loneliess foreshadows her, as only later she learns about the killing of her future family... then the camera rises over the stations roof...

Uff, I got carried away, wrong forum for this anyway, sorry...so we have the next installment from the Bruce Archives series tomorrow :-)!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
3 minutes ago, theseshadows said:

That scene Cardinale leaving the train:  ...There is no music or noise at all for some moments.  Jill's theme just starts with the glockenspiel as she moves forward to the rail station. . A loneliess foreshadows her, as only later she learns about the killing of her future family... then the camera rises over the stations roof...

Uff, I got carried away, wrong forum for this anyway, sorry...so we have the next installment from the Bruce Archives series tomorrow :-)!

I'm all for this thread to become half Archive Rumours / half Leone discussion. I can't think of when I've enjoyed reading this thread more than over the last 8 hours. 

And seeing as I haven't posted it already :lol:, my review of Once Upon a Time in the West for anyone interested - https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/08/19/film-review-once-upon-a-time-in-the-west-1968/

• Like 1

Having said that, I will apologise to anyone annoyed about the amount of Leone film talk on a thread dedicated to Archive rumours. 

Though the fact that we've filled nearly two pages from just talking about 30 minutes of two 3-ish hour long films might well sum up how just how worth talking about Sergio Leone's films really are... 

...and to add, that I saw this film 10 (ten!) Times in the cinema - over the years.. Never did that with another movie... I have the DVD at home, rarely watch it, too small screen...

Just to balance the opinions: once as a young man I took a friend with me to see the movie: how boooring he thought it was.

Paolo: I will read your review later, thank you. I gotta have to work here in Europe!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, theseshadows said:

...and to add, that I saw this film 10 (ten!) Times in the cinema - over the years.. Never did that with another movie... I have the DVD at home, rarely watch it, too small screen...

Just to balance the opinions: once as a young man I took a friend with me to see the movie: how boooring he thought it was.

Paolo: I will read your review later, thank you. I gotta have to work here in Europe!

To watch that film once on the big screen let alone ten times would be brilliant, so I'm gonna be honest in saying I'm a bit jealous hahaha. 

I've read a few reviews that have called it boring, overly long etc. I think one of those was even from Roger Ebert. Art is subjective but it's flown by every time I've watched it and I've never not been gripped. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Lampi said:

No, day and month are flipped over in the U.S.A.

Just like in the U.K. everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road (and not vice versa).

that is why we need standard date notations which do not confuse. In my company we use DD-MON-YYYY as international standard as we might run in a lot of compliance issues when we mix up. And in my bootleg folders I use ofcourse YYYY-MM-DD for sorting purposes.