Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

Wasn't there a SOB show which was special for... I can't remember what, but he changed the setlist slightly and said something about Trump.. ? What was the occasion? 

• Like 1

Dave Marsh wrote, in Glory Days, that a '84 version of Racing wasnt recorded. I hope he was wrong.

A fall 84 show would be a welcome addition to the series...until then I will cherrish the reccently released Oakland shows as well as Lincoln and Kansas City.

I bought KC as a 5 LP box in the summer of '86. It was the birth of my collecting days, supplementing my 1st tape trade. That day I got Stockholm '81, The Roxy '78, and the Bridge Benefit. Kansas City '84 is one of the greatest audience recordings I have ever heard.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Wasn't there a SOB show which was special for... I can't remember what, but he changed the setlist slightly and said something about Trump.. ? What was the occasion? 

He mentioned the kids in cages, as well as the March on Washington.

He doesnt need to make a statement, its all throughout his music. 

I expect a good show to be released regardless.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Silvia said:

The June 19th, 2018 show, the first setlist change in 146 performances:

https://brucespringsteen.net/news/2018/bruce-remarks-ghost-tom-joad

"I never believed that people come to my shows, or rock shows to be told anything.

But I do believe that they come to be reminded of things. To be reminded of who they are, at their most joyous, at their deepest, when life feels full. It's a good place to get in touch with your heart and your spirit, to be amongst the crowd. And to be reminded of who we are and who we can be collectively. Music does those things pretty well sometimes, particularly these days when some reminding of who we are and who we can be isn't such a bad thing.

That weekend of the March for our Lives, we saw those young people in Washington, and citizens all around the world, remind us of what faith in America and real faith in American democracy looks and feels like. It was just encouraging to see all those people out on the street and all that righteous passion in the service of something good. And to see that passion was alive and well and still there at the center of the beating heart of our country.

It was a good day, and a necessary day because we are seeing things right now on our American borders that are so shockingly and disgracefully inhumane and un-American that it is simply enraging. And we have heard people in high position in the American government blaspheme in the name of God and country that it is a moral thing to assault the children amongst us. May God save our souls.

There's the beautiful quote by Dr. King that says the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice. Now, there have been many, many days of recent when you could certainly have an argument over that. But I've lived long enough to see that in action and to put some faith in it. But I've also lived long enough to know that arc doesn't bend on its own. It needs all of us leaning on it, nudging it in the right direction day after day. You gotta keep, keep leaning.

I think it's important to believe in those words, and to carry yourself, and to act accordingly. It's the only way that we keep faith and keep our sanity.

I've played this show 146 nights with basically the same setlist, but tonight calls for something different..."

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 2
43 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

Kansas City '84 is one of the greatest audience recordings I have ever heard.

So an unpopular opinion then: could a not so well known Fall 1984 show not be more interesting than the famous shows from the fall: Kansas City, Lincoln, Oakland or Tempe, which are all represented by excellent audience tapes (Tempe even recorded by a Laker)?

But Dave Marsh said they were not recorded [no shows with the Fall 1984 version of Racing In The Street were recorded]; one could even assume that the only professional recorded shows are NJ 1984, NJ 1985 and L.A. 1985; and not even all of them, at least not all NJ 1984 shows.

1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

I predict that we will be getting a show where Bruce Springsteen plays his songs. 100% sure of that.

But...but... what about a Seeger show?:D

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, davemunday said:

Hopefully not for me 92/93 has been fully covered. 

Well, there is only 1 release of the tour proper, and no releases yet from the European legs.

I tend to think of the two 92-93 archive shows as poor cousins and often overlook them, but I have to admit I enjoy them whenever I play them. Some great stuff there... Open All Night from the 92 show is stellar, the Souls/Living Proof/BITUSA sequence on the 93 release is brilliant. The I Ain't Got No Home opener from that show is tremendous also, and Roll Of The Dice with the Everybody Needs Somebody interpolation is fun. That's just off the top of my head.

I Wish I Were Blind and TR from Plugged get a lot of love here also

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lilbud said:

We have 2 other band releases (3 if you count unplugged), and that should be enough.

3 too many if you ask me

I disagree 100%. There are some amazing performances on those releases and there is a lot still to be discovered from that period.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, JaHoe said:

did anyone think of the option of a 92/93 release with the No Justice/No Peace shouting during 57 channels, which is referring to the Los Angeles riots ?

Good call.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, driveallnight89 said:

So the consensus is either a response too the BLM movement being either the first MSG show or Atlanta show from the reunion tour. Or a 92 show mentioning the LA race riots. 

But there has been talk that it’s going to be a standard release with a Devils and Dust show. 

If it will be a Devils and Dust show I hope it will be the Father’s Day show from Ahoy Rotterdam.

But the Atlanta or one of the Msg 2000 shows which are mentioned would also be fine to me

Wake me up when there's finally an interesting release again. What happened to surprise releases like Chicago 99 or Helsinki 03? Most of the shows in the past few months have been a huge disappointment to me and seemed like "easy" releases, and so it continues this month.

• Like 1