musicdav24

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

10 minutes ago, Marnix said:

If you expect a BItUSA recording the following shows were used for Live 1975-85 album which is a prediction what we still can expect:

1984 - August 6 & 9 Meadowlands Arena (the shows from 5 and 20 are released)

1985 - August 19 & 21 Giants Stadium
1985 - September 30 Los Angeles Coliseum 

so at least these shows are multi-track recorded and presumably the other shows from these stands also

I hope that they also taped the LA84 stand on multi-track. 

Good sounding bootlegs from that stand but a archive release would be great!

A curious thing is that no show from Giants Stadium has been released in the archive series so far.

Bruce has played at that venue 6 times in 1985, 10 in 2003, 3 in 2008 y 5 in 2009 and we know many of them has been recorded. However none of them has been officially released.

Will we get one when a BITUSA or Magic show be released in the coming months? For BITUSA I would bet for the last show of the Tour in Los Angeles Coliseum and for Magic I would bet for London 2007, but who knows?

• Like 3

This deep into the Archive Series there is a lot of repetition. Two rare songs on a release (which can probably found on YT) doesn't warrant a purchase, for me.

Unless they unencrypt The Rising shows or discover pre '75 shows we're set in a cycle of repetition that only Erik Flanagan could talk his way out of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

This deep into the Archive Series there is a lot of repetition. Two rare songs on a release (which can probably found on YT) doesn't warrant a purchase, for me.

Unless they unencrypt The Rising shows or discover pre '75 shows we're set in a cycle of repetition that only Erik Flanagan could talk his way out of. 

Now that is funny.

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

There are only so many times you can reference a “blistering rendition of Two Hearts”!!

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

There are only so many times you can reference a “blistering rendition of Two Hearts”!!

I don't even read the blog posts anymore, as not to overly raise expectations for myself

2 hours ago, audelish70 said:

A curious thing is that no show from Giants Stadium has been released in the archive series so far.

Bruce has played at that venue 6 times in 1985, 10 in 2003, 3 in 2008 y 5 in 2009 and we know many of them has been recorded. However none of them has been officially released.

Will we get one when a BITUSA or Magic show be released in the coming months? For BITUSA I would bet for the last show of the Tour in Los Angeles Coliseum and for Magic I would bet for London 2007, but who knows?

There has been at least 1 released from 22/9/2012, the Wrecking Ball tour from the Met Life Stadium which is the same place, just another name.

8 minutes ago, Jump back Jack said:

There has been at least 1 released from 22/9/2012, the Wrecking Ball tour from the Met Life Stadium which is the same place, just another name.

As a Giants fan, I'm telling you that you can't count Giants Stadium and MetLife as the same. 

The old stadium had (some) soul and identity (albeit tired by the end). The new one is dull and unremarkable. 

8 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

As a Giants fan, I'm telling you that you can't count Giants Stadium and MetLife as the same. 

The old stadium had (some) soul and identity (albeit tired by the end). The new one is dull and unremarkable. 

Sounds like Old Wembley compared to New Wembley.

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

2 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

I think I ran out of words to describe the likes of "Jungleland", "Born to Run" and "Badlands" in my reviews around December 2018. I don't know how Erik does it :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I think I ran out of words to describe the likes of "Jungleland", "Born to Run" and "Badlands" in my reviews around December 2018. I don't know how Erik does it :lol:

I once played the 'drinking game' with one of Erik's reviews. The rules were that I had to have a shot every time he used a superlative.

I came crashing down like a drunk on a barroom floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'll just mention that I personally have no issues with the reviews of Erik Flanagan. They're very good reads and please don't get Backstreets to somehow shut down https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/blog/ :ph34r:

Yes. I should add myself, that Erik is a Bruce expert and a great writer. Way back when Charles was in charge of Backstreets, Erik's articles on unreleased stuff in particular were pretty great.

I just wish his reviews were more objective.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Yes. I should add myself, that Erik is a Bruce expert and a great writer. Way back when Charles was in charge of Backstreets, Erik's articles on unreleased stuff in particular were pretty great.

I just wish his reviews were more objective.

I've definitely looked to his write-ups for inspiration in the past. As you say, he's an expert and it's almost always good to know something important you had no idea of beforehand. 

I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt with that lack of objectiveness point as well. With his job essentially being to sell these shows with his reviews to - I guess - the fans in doubt about downloading, it's probably for the best he focuses on the good rather than pointing out all of the negatives. 

• Like 1

It's hard for a fan to be objective. It's not impossible, but it's very difficult to remain uninfluenced by personal feelings.

• Like 3

And who knows, now he might give us a shout-out tomorrow if he's a member/if he lurks on here and reads what we're saying about him.

Remember that time he mentioned the great mixing in of crowd noise and told off the fans who usually complain about the lack of it?

Fwiw I completely agreed with him as well. PLEASE DON'T GET MR LANDAU TO PUT AN END TO MY BLOG

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I once played the 'drinking game' with one of Erik's reviews. The rules were that I had to have a shot every time he used a superlative.

I came crashing down like a drunk on a barroom floor.

My issue isn't so much with Eric as with:

(1) the decision to have the essay written by someone who wasn't at the show (having attended 7-8 of the shows the Archives have released (dating from '77-'99), I can personally say that Eric's essays fell short in conveying an accurate sense of these shows).  Bruce Inc. should instead be soliciting essays from those who were actually there and can speak knowledgeably and more personally about the experience of witnessing the performance, the crowd, the mood of the day, etc.

(2) the decision to have all of the essays written by the same person, which tends to get a bit monotonous and reflect a relatively narrow perspective on Bruce's performances.

Of course, neither of these is as big a mistake as the Archives' failure to focus on Bruce's pre-1978 performances.  His shows from '75-'78 scaled heights that neither Bruce nor anyone else havs climbed since (with a very few notable exceptions).  They've already made available dozens of shows from 99-2017 . . . and 4 from pre-1978.   These numbers should be reversed before we see another Magic, WoaD, D&D. etc. show. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marnix said:

I1985 - September 30 Los Angeles Coliseum

All 4 shows in Los Angeles in 1985 were filmed (according to Backstreets book), the last 2 shows in Los Angeles 1988 also.

So one can assume all these shows were professionally audio-recorded too.

5 minutes ago, Outside Looking In said:

Of course, neither of these is as big a mistake as the Archives' failure to focus on Bruce's pre-1978 performances.  His shows from '75-'78 scaled heights that neither Bruce nor anyone else havs climbed since (with a very few notable exceptions).  They've already made available dozens of shows from 99-2017 . . . and 4 from pre-1978.   These numbers should be reversed before we see another Magic, WoaD, D&D. etc. show. 

I don't think it's a "failure to focus on" pre 1978, more so that they don't have as many tapes from the early years and they want to make them seem more special by spacing out those releases.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jump back Jack said:

My question now is what do they have from 1978 to 1988 that they haven't already released?

All shows which were source for Live 1975-85 and not released yet: Nassau 28 December 1980, NJ 1981 shows (could be only the shows which were used for Live 1975-85, could be all 6 shows were recorded). The various BUSA shows as mentioned in the post by Marnix.

Maybe more shows from Roxy 1975, would be a little bit strange if the already released 18 October 1975 (early) show would be the only show from the stand (6 shows) which was recorded; and the 17 October 1975 (early) show was a radio broadcast.

Probably Atlanta 30 September 1978 (the only radio broadcast show not released yet) and Passaic Night 3 (21 September 1978). Maybe shows from the Los Angeles 1984 stand.

The rest is only speculation; but Detroit 1988 is proof sometimes shows were recorded outside the usual areas.

Edit: and some shows in December 1975 were recorded for a possible live album (not exactly known how many and which shows; at least the 'Santa Claus show'  12 December 1975 and the show in Toronto).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BossMan13 said:

1984, 85, 92, 2002, 2003, 2007 & 2008 are all ones that could be due tomorrow. 

I think you forgot 2006.:) (and 1993, and pre-1978).

But everyone seems to expect a BUSA show.

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

And who knows, now he might give us a shout-out tomorrow if he's a member/if he lurks on here and reads what we're saying about him.

Remember that time he mentioned the great mixing in of crowd noise and told off the fans who usually complain about the lack of it?

Fwiw I completely agreed with him as well. PLEASE DON'T GET MR LANDAU TO PUT AN END TO MY BLOG

“Mr. Jon Landau...please don’t stop me...please don’t stop me”

• Haha 2

Last bets for tomorrow

BTR: Main Point 75 or Boston Music Hall

BITUSA: Wembley 85 or a Fall 84 show

Magic: Milan 07 or Spring/Summer 08