Greasy Lake Community

I'd like 11/4/76, the Palladium.

The '76 tour has (obviously) been totally ignored, and the shows were incredible as the boots show us.

Not sure if 11/4 could be improved on, as probably only a two track exists I'm guessing.

Then again as The Promise box showed with the footage from '76, who knows what they have in the vaults?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

I'd like 11/4/76, the Palladium.

The '76 tour has (obviously) been totally ignored, and the shows were incredible as the boots show us.

Not sure if 11/4 could be improved on, as probably only a two track exists I'm guessing.

Then again as The Promise box showed with the footage from '76, who knows what they have in the vaults?

I totally agree about 1976

Barry Rebo followed him around

he sold all his tapes to Bruce

• Love Love Love! 1
6 hours ago, tillywilly said:

I totally agree about 1976

Barry Rebo followed him around

he sold all his tapes to Bruce

Sorry for the question, but who is Barry Rebo and what tapes did he sell to Bruce? 

2 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

Sorry for the question, but who is Barry Rebo and what tapes did he sell to Bruce? 

He's the guy responsible for the Tempe footage which is about to blow you away when you watch it.

He filmed Bruce and the band a lot during the 1970s and is responsible for much of the footage in the BTR and Darkness documentaries.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
18 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

He's the guy responsible for the Tempe footage which is about to blow you away when you watch it.

He filmed Bruce and the band a lot during the 1970s and is responsible for much of the footage in the BTR and Darkness documentaries.

Thanks for the answer.

I got a lot to look forward to as both the special edition of BTR and the Darkness box are also due to be delivered too today together with the MTV Plugged concert and Barcelona 2002. 

2 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

Thanks for the answer.

I got a lot to look forward to as both the special edition of BTR and the Darkness box are also due to be delivered too today together with the MTV Plugged concert and Barcelona 2002. 

See you in a few weeks.

Here's a taster from Darkness that shows just how thankful we should be to Barry Rebo.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
9 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

See you in a few weeks.

Here's a taster from Darkness that shows just how thankful we should be to Barry Rebo.

Awesome footage! 

Barry Rebo was a member of Bruce's entourage for many years. After Bruce rented the Telegraph Hill property in Holmdel, most of the E Street Band, his road crew and Rebo hung out at "Boss Acres". Rebo shot "Candy's Boy" and "Save My Love" around July 1976. The footage you are admiring is from Record Plant studios 1977-Jan 78. 

Rebo sold all his tapes to Bruce, and is reluctant to give details now, because of the arrangement he made with Bruce. I didn't bug him after he explained.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, tillywilly said:

Barry Rebo was a member of Bruce's entourage for many years. After Bruce rented the Telegraph Hill property in Holmdel, most of the E Street Band, his road crew and Rebo hung out at "Boss Acres". Rebo shot "Candy's Boy" and "Save My Love" around July 1976. The footage you are admiring is from Record Plant studios 1977-Jan 78. 

Rebo sold all his tapes to Bruce, and is reluctant to give details now, because of the arrangement he made with Bruce. I didn't bug him after he explained.

Thank you for that information. very interesting! 

On 8/1/2020 at 7:33 PM, Lampi said:

Yes, who would do that.......

Especially as it is said/rumoured that the less than enthousiastic response to these 2 unique shows (one previously only an audiencen tape, one not even known audio), were responsible for not more unique pre-1978 releases. Of course we don't know if that is really true; and it seems they really don't have that much pre-1978 anyway, except the several shows recorded in December 1975.

But then, even if it is a 1978, 1980/1981 or 1984/1985 release, there are still pundits complaining about the guitar and/or Bruce's voice too low or too high in the mix, or whatever.

If Nugs gets the mix wrong, we'll moan. If they don't, we won't. Problem is with them, not us.

33 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I have a strong feeling of something from the BTR era.

Whenever I play one of the 1975 shows it seems so unusual to not have the obligatory “Badlands” somewhere in the set.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

If it’s anything less than a complete show, or if it uses audience bootlegging to fill in gaps, then I’m not buying.

I would love another 75-76-77 show. But not if it's like that 77 Albany/Rochester thing that I paid for and then deleted it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

A random take, but I think if we don't get a BITUSA show this week or in September, it's because the box set will be released in time for Christmas.

With getting both the Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge Of Town and The RIver box sets this week I wouldn't mind a Born In The USA set to complement that. Also they do release every 5 years I noticed. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

With getting both the Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge Of Town and The RIver box sets this week I wouldn't mind a Born In The USA set to complement that. Also they do release every 5 years I noticed. 

I like how you've just went full pelt and bought everything at once :lol:

If a Magic show, how about this one? An early tour show, "Your Own Worst Enemy" (!!), "Cynthia," "Incident," and "Thundercrack" catch my eye...

2007-10-10 - CONTINENTAL AIRLINES ARENA, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

RADIO NOWHERE / NIGHT / LONESOME DAY / GYPSY BIKER / MAGIC / REASON TO BELIEVE / ADAM RAISED A CAIN / SHE'S THE ONE / LIVIN' IN THE FUTURE / CYNTHIA / THE PROMISED LAND / TOWN CALLED HEARTBREAK / INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET / YOUR OWN WORST ENEMY / YOU CAN LOOK (BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH) / DEVIL'S ARCADE / THE RISING / LAST TO DIE / LONG WALK HOME / BADLANDS / GIRLS IN THEIR SUMMER CLOTHES / THUNDERCRACK / BORN TO RUN / DANCING IN THE DARK / AMERICAN LAND

Live premiere of "Your Own Worst Enemy". Four premieres in total for night two in New Jersey, including the second-ever band version "Cynthia", last seen at Giants Stadium in 2003. At the end of October 2007 the Continental Airlines Arena will be officially renamed Izod Center.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I like how you've just went full pelt and bought everything at once :lol:

That's really how I am when I get into something. Which doesn't happen often. Last time was when I was 10 and became an Elvis fan. Obviously back then I didn't have the money to buy everything at once though :D Without joking though, the fact that I'm buying all this stuff is simply telling me one thing: Bruce is here to stay. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
9 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

If a Magic show, how about this one? An early tour show, "Your Own Worst Enemy" (!!), "Cynthia," "Incident," and "Thundercrack" catch my eye...

2007-10-10 - CONTINENTAL AIRLINES ARENA, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

RADIO NOWHERE / NIGHT / LONESOME DAY / GYPSY BIKER / MAGIC / REASON TO BELIEVE / ADAM RAISED A CAIN / SHE'S THE ONE / LIVIN' IN THE FUTURE / CYNTHIA / THE PROMISED LAND / TOWN CALLED HEARTBREAK / INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET / YOUR OWN WORST ENEMY / YOU CAN LOOK (BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH) / DEVIL'S ARCADE / THE RISING / LAST TO DIE / LONG WALK HOME / BADLANDS / GIRLS IN THEIR SUMMER CLOTHES / THUNDERCRACK / BORN TO RUN / DANCING IN THE DARK / AMERICAN LAND

Live premiere of "Your Own Worst Enemy". Four premieres in total for night two in New Jersey, including the second-ever band version "Cynthia", last seen at Giants Stadium in 2003. At the end of October 2007 the Continental Airlines Arena will be officially renamed Izod Center.

That looks like a great setlist! Incident would be enough for me to like this concert. Am not really familiar with either Cynthia and Your Own Worst Enemy yet. Thundercrack I heard but has not peaked my interest yet.  

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

Am not really familiar with either Cynthia and Your Own Worst Enemy yet.

Cynthia I can give or take, have never really gone out of my way to listen to it, but still a fun change of pace for a show. Your Own Worst Enemy on the hand is one of Bruce's most under appreciated songs in my opinion.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

Cynthia I can give or take, have never really gone out of my way to listen to it, but still a fun change of pace for a show. Your Own Worst Enemy on the hand is one of Bruce's most under appreciated songs in my opinion.

Which in turn makes it worthwhile for me to check it out :D

With a few recent releases, the Archives folks have really hyped that a set list included a great, early Bruce song (like Incident or NYC Serenade), albeit from  much more recent shows.

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to offer shows from that era to begin with?  I promise you, it's even better to hear a mid-70s version of Incident or NYCS than to hear even a great reinterpretation from decades later.

I'm glad we have the Archive series, but its failure to include more shows from Bruce's most important period (1974-78) borders on criminal.  Dozens of post-'78 shows, exactly 4 pre-'78 shows.  No one should seriously entertain releasing more Magic, Joad, WOAD, etc. shows until they make major headway rectifying this inexplicable imbalance.  And please spare me the "they just don't have that many older shows" reply - as others have often pointed out, they surely have far more than these 4 available. 

• Like 1