Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

Ive got every archive show in FLAC HD and most of the 2016/17 shows. I invested in 3 external 1TB hard drives to back them all up to so I’d have to be very unlucky to have 4 hard drive failures including the Laptop one. I copy each new archive on to all 4 drives after every purchase. 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, bobfan1976 said:

Personally, I think Bruce took entirely the wrong approach to releasing archival material. All of his peers, Dylan, Neil Young, The Rolling Stones are releasing far superior sets. Nugs, although enjoyable enough, are amateur hour by comparison. 

Exhibit A: "Second Encore Break" from 1978/07/07 Roxy.  Clocks in at 12:37.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:30 PM, bobfan1976 said:

I don’t think that’s the case at all, especially for recent tours. Personally, I think Bruce took entirely the wrong approach to releasing archival material. All of his peers, Dylan, Neil Young, The Rolling Stones are releasing far superior sets. Nugs, although enjoyable enough, are amateur hour by comparison. 

I do not agree. Ok the first archives of the Stones were mixed by Bob Clearmountain and they sound great. But the last releases weren’t done by Bob and you really hear the difference. 
For example Voodoo Lounge Uncut listen to the I Go wild version which was mixed by Bob and was b-side of the I Go wild single and compare it to the Uncut version which is mixed by somebody else you really hear the difference. 
And most of The Rolling Stones archive releases are shows who were broadcasted in the past on tv. I hope that the Stones also gonna release some lesser known shows which I like from the Springsteen archives. 

3 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Ive got every archive show in FLAC HD and most of the 2016/17 shows. I invested in 3 external 1TB hard drives to back them all up to so I’d have to be very unlucky to have 4 hard drive failures including the Laptop one. I copy each new archive on to all 4 drives after every purchase. 

And I thought I was being careful!

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Perisic said:

To those who are worried to lose their shows - store them on a cloud? I've got every archive release on my cloud so if my laptop or hard drive dies I can simply download them again. 

image.thumb.png.b50c0085ece197899d0469655523341b.png

image.thumb.png.62d547890e8d8b014a1d768bc85f6e60.png

image.thumb.png.25dcf5810b5b61125fc141e201358dc7.png

image.thumb.png.8056d6739ab15d7ae6fa7fd10e1ec5ba.png

Takes some work but I'll never lose them even if my laptop or hard drive crashes.

Looking at that list I'd really like another Rising release!

@Daisey Jeep I've sent you a message!

I wish I thought of this prior to my computer needing to be reset.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Marnix said:

I do not agree. Ok the first archives of the Stones were mixed by Bob Clearmountain and they sound great. But the last releases weren’t done by Bob and you really hear the difference. 
For example Voodoo Lounge Uncut listen to the I Go wild version which was mixed by Bob and was b-side of the I Go wild single and compare it to the Uncut version which is mixed by somebody else you really hear the difference. 
And most of The Rolling Stones archive releases are shows who were broadcasted in the past on tv. I hope that the Stones also gonna release some lesser known shows which I like from the Springsteen archives. 

Fair point. I know there’s been a debate around whether the quality dipped when Clearmountain stopped doing them but I thought the No Security and two Bridges..shows were fine. The Voodoo Lounge show was shocking though. I still think they are far more substantial packaging, and content wise. TV shows or not you are still getting DVD and CD content, nicely presented, for the cost of a Nugs Bruce CD. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

Fair point. I know there’s been a debate around whether the quality dipped when Clearmountain stopped doing them but I thought the No Security and two Bridges..shows were fine. The Voodoo Lounge show was shocking though. I still think they are far more substantial packaging, and content wise. TV shows or not you are still getting DVD and CD content, nicely presented, for the cost of a Nugs Bruce CD. 

I am already looking forward to end of the month when the limited edition of Atlantic City 1989 from the Stones archives comes out  which also include a different show on dvd from the Tokyo 1990 stand as bonus which they only had released earlier in Japan 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 7:33 PM, Jay said:

Just buy them again. Bruce needs the money 

I'm a college student working as a busboy, my stable income I saved to use for freshman year lasted a few months longer than projected, but I couldn't find another till Friday.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 9:18 AM, badlands78 said:

Exhibit A: "Second Encore Break" from 1978/07/07 Roxy.  Clocks in at 12:37.

That's one of my favorite parts of that release!  Not that I listen to it every time - it's on its own track and can be easily skipped - but for a show so widely bootlegged in reasonably high quality, here was finally something new.  After 40 years, here was a little tidbit that only those who were there had ever heard before.  The energy from the crowd, to keep clapping and chanting a full 10 minutes after they leave the stage is powerful stuff.  To hear the announcer admonishing the crowd a second time, insisting that the show is over and there's no way Bruce is coming back just seconds before you hear the band taking the stage again is hilarious to me.  I love it for the same reason I love the "Way it Was" boots of the Bottom Line and Passaic.  It feels like you're there.  It's 1978 again and I'm right there witnessing this show for the first time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I wonder if Backstreets will get the heads up the day before / a few hours before the next archive drops. I can’t imagine that nugs will want to just wait for fans to stumble across it for themselves. 

That’s my issue with cancelling the First Fridays; the build up is missing.

• Like 1