Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

11 minutes ago, lilbud said:

I'm on board with the 1977 theory. Either 3/24 or 3/25. "I wish God would send some angels and blow this whole town into the sea." the interlude also has "these kids set fire to the old farmhouse about 500 feet off the tracks." While not mentioning firemen, they would enviably be there

"Don't look back" has the word "hurricane" in it... 

And "Incident..." has the "From out of the SHADOWS.."

Boston 1977 would be :wub:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Breakaway said:

Boston 1977 would be :wub:

I think it was said a few times on this forum the Boston 1977 shows were not recorded. The contradiction is that the only performances of Incident On 57th Street in 1977 were at the Boston shows.

13 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I think it was said a few times on this forum the Boston 1977 shows were not recorded. The contradiction is that the only performances of Incident On 57th Street in 1977 were at the Boston shows.

From the backstreets news page back when Albany 77 was released

"But tapes, in fact, did exist. That became clear earlier this year, when Florida-based sound engineer Chas Gerber sent a cache of cassette tapes to Springsteen's longtime archivist Toby Scott. Gerber, who now runs Florida-based Gerber Acoustic Systems, worked as Springsteen's front-of-house (FOH) sound engineer circa 1975-77, getting the sound mixed just right every night. From time to time, Gerber did something else: he threw a cassette tape into a high-end deck and pressed record."

That cache of cassette tapes recorded by Gerber gave us Albany and Rochester 77, I'd like to think that recording the last night(s) of the tour would've been a no brainer for Chas.

Hopefully this show then: 

Music Hall (Boston, MA)
1977-03-25
Boston, MA

Night
Don't Look Back
Spirit In The Night
Incident On 57th Street
Thunder Road
Mona
She's The One
10th Avenue Freeze-Out
Action In The Street
It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
Backstreets
Jungleland
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Born To Run
Quarter To Three
Little Latin Lupe Lu
Higher And higher
You Can't Sit Down

Final night of the tour,and a contender for one of the best ever

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

9 hours ago, lilbud said:

I'd like to think that recording the last night(s) of the tour would've been a no brainer for Chas.

I guess it depends on why he was recording them. If it was to check on his live mixes, then it would be a bit late by the last show.

Having said that, I would be very happy if it is that show. It is certainly time to dig into those cassettes again. Some will moan again about the sound quality and (likely) cuts, but that's no reason to ignore a two year period where no multitracks exist.

You can nearly make the clues fit the last night of the Rising tour, but the only apparent Hurricane link is Bob Dylan and that's just too tenuous. 

I'm not 100% sold on the 1977 theory, but I can't come up with a better one. If I remember correctly it was said that they have five 1977 shows, maybe Boston is one of them, or maybe that's wishful thinking.

• Like 1

Given that September was from 1984 & October from 1978 what I would think would be one of these. 
Other Band: Fall ‘92 after MTV taping. 
Tom Joad: beginning of tour (before Christmas)

Rising (if possible): Beginning of tour, something right around holidays, Spring 2003 (Second short North American leg. The one Between Australia & Europe), final run of North America. 

Magic: October-December 2007, March 2008, June 2008, August 2008. 

7 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

Sounds to me like a "Don't Look Back" show

Has to be. The clue "...Shadows, angels, firemen and hurricanes, oh my."

Don't look back lyrics:

Cold rain running down the front of my shirt
I'm flat on my back wheels in the dirt
Angel makes her face up out on Baker Street
She's straddling the shifter in my front seat
There's nothing to lose, it's a heartbreak
The deck's stacked
So put your foot to the floor and darling don't look back

We're making night tracks through the blazing rain
Blowin' pistons, workin' the fast lane
Red line burnin', pocket's full of cash
Angel writes her name in lipstick on my dash
There's nothing to lose
It's a bad break but baby we're backed
Tonight we'll blow off the doors and honey we won't look back
We held it in our hearts in the pourin' rain
We made it through the heart of a hurricane
We tore it apart and put it together again

Well angel, won't you believe in love for me
C'mon and meet me tonight, darling, out in the street
We'll move with the city in the dark
You got to walk, it talk, it in your heart
There's nothin' to lose it's a heartache
The deck's stacked
So put your foot to the floor, darling
Tonight we'll blow off the doors, baby
We're gonna even the score
And honey we won't look back

The fact that there is a Boston song with the same name could be indicative of Boston 77 or a Boston show with this song in it (if that exists other than 77)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brucefaninnyc said:

The fact that there is a Boston song with the same name could be indicative of Boston 77 or a Boston show with this song in it (if that exists other than 77)

Only 1, 1999-08-24, Boston, MA. Don't Look Back opened the show.

If it ends up being Boston 77, that version of Backstreets is absolutely awesome. When Bruce is singing about the angels blowing the whole damn town into the sea with the bells getting louder in the background, and he ends up screaming "BLOW IT ALL AWAY" at the top of his voice. 

To borrow a phrase from Paolo, Essence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lilbud said:

If it ends up being Boston 77, that version of Backstreets is absolutely awesome. When Bruce is singing about the angels blowing the whole damn town into the sea with the bells getting louder in the background, and he ends up screaming "BLOW IT ALL AWAY" at the top of his voice. 

To borrow a phrase from Paolo, Essence.

I wouldn’t think Boston ‘77 because of what the last two months have been. 

53 minutes ago, BossMan13 said:

I wouldn’t think Boston ‘77 because of what the last two months have been. 

If it is a show with Don't Look Back, a Reunion Tour show is maybe more likely than a 1977 show.

According to Brucebase, Don't Look Back was performed 31 times; 11 x in 1977, 16 x in 1999-2000, 1 x 2008, 2 x 2012, 1 x 2014.

As a Magic Tour show was quite some time ago, the dark horse in this is the 2008 show, Greensboro 28 April 2008, with a double-whammy opening of Roulette and Don't Look Back. Most of the core Magic Tour setlist still intact, including the song Magic and the 'five-pack'; but not Girls In Their Summer Clothes, which is replaced by Backstreets. Also: Waiting on a Sunny Day, played at sign request (yes, really!). Setlist also includes Saint In The City, Trapped and Darkness On The Edge Of Town; and as said Roulette, Don't Look Back and Backstreets, which makes it a nice mix between core Magic Tour setlist and rarities-fan favourites, before things got out of hand later in the tour and even more so in 2009 and 2012-2013 (personal opinion warning!).

Actually really enjoying the cryptic clues from Backstreets.  Makes for some fun guessing and really impressed by some of the deduction and logic of a number of Lakers!!

I have no real interest in further 77 shows and think the final Boston stand is particularly overrated.  I much prefer the 76 shows (slow something in the night!) but would still be excited by the release of such shows as it would indicate an intriguing change of direction by Nugs where FOH / soundboard sources are deemed viable releases.  This could open in the possibility of many more shows being viable than we have recently come to expect.  I had no issue with the sound on the last 77 shows; my gripes have been with some of Altschiller’s mixes, never the sound quality.

For a slightly tounge in cheek guess, given the proximity of the US elections, how about the Neil Young VFC show.  The clues can be equally applied to his songs:

*Like a HURRICANE, Sleeps with ANGELS, Crime in the City (references to growing up to be a fireman and putting out fires and anything smoking) and lots of shadow references from Prime of Life to Birds to Helpless etc.

Awesome show too with duets on All along the watchtower and Rocking in the free world.

PS references to shadows and angels in Frankie too.

Boston 77 ticks all the boxes, but it might be a little too much to ask after a 78 show. 

Shadows...Incident, Living proof, Jungleland

Angels...Backstreets, Sandy 

Firemen...Roulette, (77 Backstreets)

Hurricane...Don't look back, Lost in the flood.

1 hour ago, Schaubi said:

"The hurricane blows, brings the hard rain"

WB-Show with Jack of all trades, maybe?

I forgot about Jack...completely!

One contender is September 3, 2012 Philadelphia.

It has "Streets of fire" for angels, and "Adam" and "Frankie" for shadows, "Jack" for hurricane...No firemen, though.

17 hours ago, Lampi said:

As a Magic Tour show was quite some time ago, the dark horse in this is the 2008 show, Greensboro 28 April 2008, with a double-whammy opening of Roulette and Don't Look Back. Most of the core Magic Tour setlist still intact, including the song Magic and the 'five-pack'; but not Girls In Their Summer Clothes, which is replaced by Backstreets. 

That's a pretty good guess.