Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

9 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Previous ones have been just a day or two before Christmas I think.

Usually but they do love to bounce around. 
2014: Agora ‘78 was released December 23. 
2015: the remainder of Tempe ‘80 was released December 24. 
2016: Buffalo 2009 was released December 23. 
2017: Passaic ‘78 was released December 22. 
2018: No Nukes was released December 24. 
2019: the two Winterland shows were released December 20. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BossMan13 said:

Usually but they do love to bounce around. 
2014: Agora ‘78 was released December 23. 
2015: the remainder of Tempe ‘80 was released December 24. 
2016: Buffalo 2009 was released December 23. 
2017: Passaic ‘78 was released December 22. 
2018: No Nukes was released December 24. 
2019: the two Winterland shows were released December 20. 

2017 and 2019 dates were the last Friday before Christmas. Small sample size, but on that basis, today could be the day (even if my hunch is that it will be next week :D...)

20 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Yeah it’s been the last working day normally so as 24th is a Thursday I’m thinking then. Predict Nassau night 1 28/12/80 to drop around 5pm U.K. time on 24th December. 

I hope that's the case.

• Hug 1

1 minute ago, Music City Mike said:

So all we get for Christmas is an empty box? Or does this also bring with it the bad news in that there will be no more 1978 releases?

Ah - now I see that they are calling this Volume 1 so that we can look forward to be offered a second empty box to buy.

• Like 1

Which show(s) out of these would you say is most likely to get an archive release?:

The Palladium, New York, NY September 15, 1978

Stanley Theatre, Pittsburgh, PA August 28, 1978

Hancher Auditorium, Iowa City, IA June 13, 1978

Dane County Coliseum, Madison, WI June 8, 1978

Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, OH June 5, 1978

Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, NY June 3, 1978

United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD June 2, 1978

The Music Hall, Boston, MA May 31, 1978

The Music Hall, Boston, MA May 30, 1978

The Music Hall, Boston, MA May 29, 1978

Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA May 27, 1978

Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA May 26, 1978

Palace Theatre, Albany, NY May 24, 1978

Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, NY May 23, 1978

54 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Which show(s) out of these would you say is most likely to get an archive release?

Curious why you selected those?

I would say Nassau Coliseum 3 June 1978, but only because the 28, 29 and 31 December 1980 shows at the same venue were recorded too. The show itself is a personal favourite of mine, but part of its attraction is the atmosphere of the audience tape which maybe could get lost a little bit on a professional recording. ('personal favourite'; but I have about 20 'personal favourite' Darkness shows, to put it in perspective:)).

Another one is the 17 September 1978 show at the Palladium in NYC, one of the best shows of the tour (so: curious why you selected the 15 September 1978 show; not that 15 September 1978 and 16 September 1978 are bad or mediocre shows of course!).

Some reasonable bets: Passaic 3, Atlanta 2 (the somewhat mysterious 2nd show in Atlanta, 1 October 1978, last show before the October break in the tour); Phoenix 8 July 1978; Berkely 1 July 1978 (from which there is a partial soundboard in circulation, and 2 songs (Prove It All Night and Paradise By The 'C') were broadcasted on radio in 1978); then maybe Berkeley 30 June 1978 too; Forum Los Angeles 5 July 1978; MSG 21, 22 and 23 August 1978.

Would not expect shows outside New York State and California (except Phoenix and Atlanta). In this, it seems maybe strange there is no evidence shows in Philadelphia were recorded pre-Reunion Era (or Boston, or Cleveland (except Agora)).

Finally, something else, a question for everyone. Is there real proof Passaic 3 was recorded, or are we all just thinking it must have been recorded, only because Passaic 1 and 2 were recorded too?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lampi said:

Curious why you selected those?

I would say Nassau Coliseum 3 June 1978, but only because the 28, 29 and 31 December 1980 shows at the same venue were recorded too. The show itself is a personal favourite of mine, but part of its attraction is the atmosphere of the audience tape which maybe could get lost a little bit on a professional recording. ('personal favourite'; but I have about 20 'personal favourite' Darkness shows, to put it in perspective:)).

Another one is the 17 September 1978 show at the Palladium in NYC, one of the best shows of the tour (so: curious why you selected the 15 September 1978 show; not that 15 September 1978 and 16 September 1978 are bad or mediocre shows of course!).

Some reasonable bets: Passaic 3, Atlanta 2 (the somewhat mysterious 2nd show in Atlanta, 1 October 1978, last show before the October break in the tour); Phoenix 8 July 1978; Berkely 1 July 1978 (from which there is a partial soundboard in circulation, and 2 songs (Prove It All Night and Paradise By The 'C') were broadcasted on radio in 1978); then maybe Berkeley 30 June 1978 too; Forum Los Angeles 5 July 1978; MSG 21, 22 and 23 August 1978.

Would not expect shows outside New York State and California (except Phoenix and Atlanta). In this, it seems maybe strange there is no evidence shows in Philadelphia were recorded pre-Reunion Era (or Boston, or Cleveland (except Agora)).

Finally, something else, a question for everyone. Is there real proof Passaic 3 was recorded, or are we all just thinking it must have been recorded, only because Passaic 1 and 2 were recorded too?

“real proof” you ask.  From Brucebase: “Early in 2012 an upgraded version of the soundboard was released, sourced from the master live-to-two track soundboard reels. The quality is similar to the previous night, if perhaps not with the same level of clarity. This recording includes the entire "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out and "Quarter To Three", both of which are missing from the old tapes and is available as 'Coup de Grace' (JEMS/Hoserama).”

when I listen to the show sounds real to me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lampi said:

12/31/75 Tower Archive Release, with other boards from the stand circulating;

73 and 75 Main Point Broadcasts circulate;

76 Spectrum board circulates; and,

8/19/78 Spectrum board circulates.

Cleveland 12/31/78 and 1/1/79 (partial) Richfield boards circulate.

Boston 1/6/74 partial board circulates.

18 minutes ago, Rumble said:

12/31/75 Tower Archive Release, with other boards from the stand circulating

My point was about 'professional recordings', not about soundboards. Otherwise you could throw in all circulating soundboards of the Darkness Tour as possible Archive releases. Which maybe will happen anyway, once they are run out of all the 'professional recordings' of the 70s and 80s tours. (The contradiction in this is I mentioned the Berkeley 1 July 1978 as a possible release because there is a circulating soundboard recording...:D)

And you are right about the quoted show of course.:)

Edit: Boston 6 January 1974 (Joe's Place) would really be a nice and very welcome addition to the Series.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:00 AM, Lampi said:

(The contradiction in this is I mentioned the Berkeley 1 July 1978 as a possible release because there is a circulating soundboard recording...:D)

Berkeley is known to have been recorded professionally to multitrack.  Whether or not those tapes are still around is another question, as they seem to have a habit of not putting things back where they belong, but it existed at one time.  Prove It All Night and Paradise by the C were mixed and released to radio stations from this show.  The Rolling Stone cover story from around that time also has him in LA later that week talking about mixing it.

*edit - I see now that you already mentioned the radio tracks above, but I'll leave this here since the RS interview confirms that they were professionally mixed and not for some bizarre reason released to radio from a straight soundboard