Greasy Lake Community

During all the Letter to You interviews, it would have been nice if someone with knowledge of his output would have asked about the Archive series. 

The obvious question would be along the lines of....When you were reviewing your early career, did you find any Pre-ESB concerts that could be released on the Archive series??? 

I would love to see some pre-1973.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The River tour was my first show, Fall of 1980 in the dump that jumps. I was 12 years old and just purchased my first Van Halen records. My Mom had a fight with her boyfriend. So off I went with her. 

Seriously, don't open the spoiler if you want to be surprised on Friday.  

I'm sad.  Also, had a car crash today on my way home... slid down an icy road, straight into the back of a parked car.  So all round not very pleasing day.

Posted Images

Regarding Amnesty Tour I wonder if some show was professionally recorded on multitrack.

Benefit concerts in 1986 and 1990 weren't but they were acoustic shows. This could be a problem to see someday any show of Amnesty released.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, E Street nation said:

Hoping for a Human touch / Lucky Town show :)

Especially one with the solo electric "Dancing in the dark" - love it. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, audelish70 said:

Regarding Amnesty Tour I wonder if some show was professionally recorded on multitrack.

They might have recorded them because of the documentary film that was being made of the tour.

I hope they don't take the easy option of releasing the Buenos Aires show as a large portion has already been officially released on CD and DVD. Far more interesting would be one of the shows in a country Bruce hasn't played before or since. In his book Bruce talks a lot about the Côte d'Ivoire show, so that would be a nice choice if a tape exists. 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Niels said:

Hopefully a new show on Friday. My guess... Tunnel of Love tour.

We still have reason to believe that the whole Los Angeles 4/27/88 show was recorded professionally, right?

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

We still have reason to believe that the whole Los Angeles 4/27/88 show was recorded professionally, right?

The last two shows in L.A. 1988 (the 4th and the 5th show), 27 April and 28 April 1988, were both filmed and, one can assume, also recorded. As the 2nd show was also recorded and already released, likely all 5 shows were recorded.

Could be the 4th and 5th show are withheld because of a possible release on video. Tunnel Tour DVD!:)

Edit: the officially released versions of Tougher Than The Rest and Born To Run (acoustic), released on various vinyl 12", EP's and Cd singles in 1988, are from 27 April 1988, so apart from filmed the show was also recorded.

Because of (let's hope) future Tunnel Tour DVD, the show in Sheffield 9 July 1988 (The show with the official Spare Parts on both audio and video) could be a better guess than (another) L.A. show. If only because there are already so many releases from L.A. from other tours in the Series.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
53 minutes ago, Lampi said:

The last two shows in L.A. 1988 (the 4th and the 5th show), 27 April and 28 April 1988, were both filmed and, one can assume, also recorded. As the 2nd show was also recorded and already released, likely all 5 shows were recorded.

Could be the 4th and 5th show are withheld because of a possible release on video. Tunnel Tour DVD!:)

Edit: the officially released versions of Tougher Than The Rest and Born To Run (acoustic), released on various vinyl 12", EP's and Cd singles in 1988, are from 27 April 1988, so apart from filmed the show was also recorded.

Because of (let's hope) future Tunnel Tour DVD, the show in Sheffield 9 July 1988 (The show with the official Spare Parts on both audio and video) could be a better guess than (another) L.A. show. If only because there are already so many releases from L.A. from other tours in the Series.

Better than Sheffield 9 I would prefer Sheffield 10 to be released, a longer and better show. If the first date was professionally recorded I guess it is highly likely the second was too.

We don't know either which other shows could have been recorded. The mobile record unit they used during TOL Tour could make it easier to record shows on multitrack.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, audelish70 said:

We don't know either which other shows could have been recorded. The mobile record unit they used during TOL Tour could make it easier to record shows on multitrack.

Around release of the 2nd L.A. 1988 show, it was said not that many Tunnel Tour shows were recorded, mainly in the 'major cities' (i.e. L.A. and New York). That was early in the Series; as they progressed, it became more and more clear not only Tunnel shows, but not that many shows pre-90s in general were recorded anyway. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Around release of the 2nd L.A. 1988 show, it was said not that many Tunnel Tour shows were recorded, mainly in the 'major cities' (i.e. L.A. and New York). That was early in the Series; as they progressed, it became more and more clear not only Tunnel shows, but not that many shows pre-90s in general were recorded anyway. 

It would be interesting to know what "not many shows recorded" mean, ten, fifteen? There were not long stands on TOL Tour, only Los Angeles and New York. From the first they recorded at least three shows. From New York I am pretty sure they also recorded the show from 22. Besides these they sure recorded at least one show from the 2 shows-stands Detroit, Stockholm and Sheffield. Total shows recorded: eight. Any stand else?

Recently they released Atlanta '78, a show I didn´t expect it was professionally recorded. So I think there will be any show on multitrack from the old tours we don´t expect.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, audelish70 said:

It would be interesting to know what "not many shows recorded" mean, ten, fifteen? There were not long stands on TOL Tour, only Los Angeles and New York. From the first they recorded at least three shows. From New York I am pretty sure they also recorded the show from 22. Besides these they sure recorded at least one show from the 2 shows-stands Detroit, Stockholm and Sheffield. Total shows recorded: eight. Any stand else?

Don’t forget Rotterdam: Zimny has shown clips from this in his archive talks and confirmed that they have the full show. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
4 hours ago, Nick21 said:

Don’t forget Rotterdam: Zimny has shown clips from this in his archive talks and confirmed that they have the full show. 

Which one? 28 June 1988, 29 June 1988, or both shows?

6 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

Zimny’s clips were from 28 June. Don’t think I’ve ever seen any mention of the second night.

OK, thanks for answer.

8 hours ago, audelish70 said:

Recently they released Atlanta '78, a show I didn´t expect it was professionally recorded. So I think there will be any show on multitrack from the old tours we don´t expect.

The Tunnel Of Love Shows we know that have been recorded and released so far

Have been

Detroit (March 28, 1988)
Los Angeles (April 23, 1988)
New York City (May 23, 1988)
Stockholm (July 3, 1988)

But i'm hoping we get another show from the archive maybe one we did not know that was recorded

With regards to the Atlanta 78 show that was one of the five shows in the Darkness Tour that was broadcast on FM Radio

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Cameron J. McMenemy said:

Another show that springs to mind is the Berlin show on the Tunnel Of Love Tour on July 19th

I'd love that show for its historical value. However, I'm inclined to suspect that taking the necessary recording equipment through the Wall in 1988 would have been too difficult, perhaps impossible. I'd imagine that every bit of equipment would have been thoroughly checked and that they wouldn't have taken any more than necessary for the show.

• Sad 1
On 1/24/2021 at 7:40 AM, A Saint in the city said:

I would love to see some pre-1973.

I never really heard any Steel Mill material until E St. Radio came along. Bruce was in such a different headspace in that band, I'd love to hear a full live set of theirs!

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
23 hours ago, Nick21 said:

Zimny’s clips were from 28 June. Don’t think I’ve ever seen any mention of the second night.

On 1/31/2021 at 12:02 PM, Lampi said:

Which one? 28 June 1988, 29 June 1988, or both shows?

Just a thought: he's there why do just one night? -- I believe if there's a video tape of one night the odds favour a second night too.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, TruthThatRanUsDown said:

I never really heard any Steel Mill material until E St. Radio came along. Bruce was in such a different headspace in that band, I'd love to hear a full live set of theirs!

I'm sure if you post request at the Bootleg Corner someone will be able to help you! :D

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, TruthThatRanUsDown said:

14 minutes ago, sunshine2020 said:

I'm sure if you post request at the Bootleg Corner someone will be able to help you! :D

'The West End Gig', a very good-excellent (for the era) soundboard recording from (probably) 24 April 1970, is the place to start, containing a good mix of relative short songs ('short' for Steel Mill standards, that is) and longer epics, including The Wind And The Rain.  And also the most epic of them all: 29 minutes of Garden State Parkway Blues (despite the longest, not the greatest Steel Mill song though).

And the Matrix in San Francisco (Live At The Matrix Volume 1 and 2).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1